Pirkka T Pekkarinen
Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Impaired intestinal tolerance in the absence of a functional complement systemPirkka T Pekkarinen
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 131:1167-75. 2013..Cells of the innate immune system regulate both adaptive immune responses and the maintenance of tolerance, especially in the gut. However, relatively little is known about the effects of complement on lymphocyte homeostasis...
- A functional complement system is required for normal T helper cell differentiationPirkka T Pekkarinen
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
Immunobiology 216:737-43. 2011..Our results show that the complement system and its component C3 participate in the regulation of T cell responses, and that complement function is required for normal T helper cell differentiation...
- The FOXP3+ subset of human CD4+CD8+ thymocytes is immature and subject to intrathymic selectionHeli Tuovinen
1Department of Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Immunol Cell Biol 86:523-9. 2008..The upregulation of FOXP3 may thus not be the final determining factor in the commitment of human thymocytes to the Treg cell lineage...
- Thymic production of human FOXP3(+) regulatory T cells is stable but does not correlate with peripheral FOXP3 expressionHeli Tuovinen
Haartman Institute, Department of Immunology, University of Helsinki, Haartmaninkatu 3, 00290 Helsinki, Finland
Immunol Lett 117:146-53. 2008....
- Lymphopenia-induced proliferation in the absence of functional Autoimmune regulator (Aire) induces colitis in miceEliisa Kekäläinen
Haartman Institute, Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Immunobiology Research Program, University of Helsinki, PB 21, Helsinki 00014, Finland Electronic address
Immunol Lett 167:17-22. 2015..Our results identify Aire as an important regulator of peripheral T cell homeostasis in gastrointestinal tissues. Given a suitable trigger the absence of peripheral Aire leads to dysregulated T cell proliferation and disease. ..
- Dysregulation of adaptive immune responses in complement C3-deficient patientsPirkka T Pekkarinen
Haartman Institute and Research Programs Unit, Immunobiology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Immunol 45:915-21. 2015..Since IgG4 has been linked to tolerogenic responses, the data also suggest that in the absence of functional complement at least some aspects of systemic tolerance are impaired. ..