Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Turku
- Pivotal role for decorin in angiogenesisHannu Jarvelainen
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Turku, Turku, Finland Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland Electronic address
Matrix Biol 43:15-26. 2015....
- Differential expression of decorin by human malignant and benign vascular tumorsHenriikka H Salomäki
Turku University Central Hospital, Department of Medicine, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
J Histochem Cytochem 56:639-46. 2008..Decorin certainly provides a usable biomarker for distinguishing between benign and malignant vascular tumors in patients...
- [A young women with hypochromic microcytotic anemia unresponsive to iron therapy]Hannu Jarvelainen
TYKS n sisätautien klinikka 20520 Turku
Duodecim 120:80-3. 2004
- Extracellular matrix molecules: potential targets in pharmacotherapyHannu Jarvelainen
Department of Medicine, Turku University Hospital, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
Pharmacol Rev 61:198-223. 2009..In the future, agents and compounds targeting directly the ECM will significantly advance the treatment of various human diseases, even those for which efficient therapies are not yet available...
- A role for decorin in cutaneous wound healing and angiogenesisHannu Jarvelainen
Department of Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Wound Repair Regen 14:443-52. 2006..Thus, regulated production of decorin may serve as an excellent therapeutic approach for modifying impaired wound healing and harmful foreign body reactions...
- Localization of decorin gene expression in normal human breast tissue and in benign and malignant tumors of the human breastPia Boström
Department of Pathology, Turku University Hospital, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, 20520 Turku, Finland
Histochem Cell Biol 139:161-71. 2013..Our study also shows that transduction of decorin in decorin-negative human breast cancer cells markedly modulates the growth pattern of these cells...
- Lack of decorin expression by human bladder cancer cells offers new tools in the therapy of urothelial malignanciesAnnele Sainio
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
PLoS ONE 8:e76190. 2013..Thus, decorin gene delivery offers new potential therapeutic tools in urothelial malignancies...
- The expression and distribution of group IIA phospholipase A2 in human colorectal tumoursTuulia Avoranta
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Savitehtaankatu 1 PB 52, 20521, Turku, Finland
Virchows Arch 457:659-67. 2010..The protein is also found in the apoptotic cells, necrosis, peritumoural mucosa and in the invasive front of carcinomas...
- Cellular distribution and contribution of cyclooxygenase COX-2 to diabetogenesis in NOD mouseCheng Luo
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation FDRF Center for Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes in Finland, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Cell Tissue Res 310:169-75. 2002..The effects of celecoxib on INS-1E cells suggest that PGE(2) and other downstream products of COX-2 may contribute to the regulation of insulin release from the beta-cells...
- Inhibition of COX-2 aggravates neutrophil migration and pneumocyte apoptosis in surfactant-depleted rat lungsHeikki Lukkarinen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Pediatr Res 59:412-7. 2006..These results suggest that specific inhibitors of COX-2 should be used cautiously in association with surfactant-deficient lung injuries...
- Angiotensin II receptor inhibition prevents pneumocyte apoptosis in surfactant-depleted rat lungsHeikki P Lukkarinen
Research Center of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Pediatr Pulmonol 39:349-58. 2005..The results suggest that increased epithelial apoptosis in surfactant-deficient lungs is mediated by ANG II receptor (specifically, subtype 1) action...
- Angiotensin II receptor blockade inhibits pneumocyte apoptosis in experimental meconium aspirationHeikki Lukkarinen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, FIN 20014 Turku, Finland
Pediatr Res 55:326-33. 2004..Apoptotic cell death is further connected with ANG II receptor action in the meconium-contaminated lung tissue...
- Lung epithelial cells undergo apoptosis in neonatal respiratory distress syndromeHeikki P Lukkarinen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Pediatr Res 53:254-9. 2003..These results suggest that significant epithelial apoptosis is present in the lungs of newborn infants with fatal RDS and that this apoptosis may be attenuated by steroid administration...
- Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 4 (TIMP4) is involved in inflammatory processes of human cardiovascular pathologyIlpo Koskivirta
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Histochem Cell Biol 126:335-42. 2006..In conclusion, the data demonstrate upregulation of TIMP4 in human cardiovascular disorders exhibiting inflammation, suggesting its future use as a novel systemic marker for vascular inflammation...
- Tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases 4 (TIMP4) in a population of young adults: relations to cardiovascular risk markers and carotid artery intima-media thickness. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyMervi Oikonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, 20520 Turku, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 72:540-6. 2012....
- Hyperglycemic conditions modulate connective tissue reorganization by human vascular smooth muscle cells through stimulation of hyaluronan synthesisAnnele Sainio
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Turku, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
Glycobiology 20:1117-26. 2010....
- Overexpression of decorin by rat arterial smooth muscle cells enhances contraction of type I collagen in vitroHannu Jarvelainen
Department of Medicine, University of Turku, Finland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:67-72. 2004..We examined the hypothesis that decorin regulates ECM volume by stimulating cell-mediated contraction of collagen-rich ECMs...
- Epigenetic Silencing of the Key Antioxidant Enzyme Catalase in Karyotypically Abnormal Human Pluripotent Stem CellsMikko Konki
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku and Abo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
Sci Rep 6:22190. 2016..Our findings provide novel insight into the mechanisms associated with spontaneous transformation of human pluripotent stem cells towards malignant fate. The same mechanisms may control the genomic stability of cells in somatic tissues. ..