Affiliation: University of Tampere
- Recent advances in research on the most novel carbonic anhydrases, CA XIII and XVM Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, FIN 33014 University of Tampere, Finland
Curr Pharm Des 14:672-8. 2008..In addition to the novel data on CA XIII and XV, we present the catalytic activities as well as inhibition constants of acetazolamide for all mammalian CA isozymes in this review...
- Characterization of CA XV, a new GPI-anchored form of carbonic anhydraseMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Biokatu 6, 33520 Tampere, Finland
Biochem J 392:83-92. 2005..Both specific and non-specific chaperones increase the production of active enzyme. The results suggest that CA XV is the first member of the alpha-CA gene family that is expressed in several species, but not in humans and chimpanzees...
- Characterization and inhibition of the recently discovered carbonic anhydrase isoforms CA XIII, XIV and XVMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Biokatu 6, University of Tampere, Finland
Curr Top Med Chem 7:893-9. 2007..A detailed biochemical characterization of this isozyme is under way in our laboratories...
- Biochemical characterization of CA IX, one of the most active carbonic anhydrase isozymesMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, FI 33014 Tampere, Finland
J Biol Chem 283:27799-809. 2008..This study provides novel information on the biochemical properties of CA IX and may help characterize the various cellular and pathophysiological processes in which this unique enzyme is involved...
- Global transcriptional response to carbonic anhydrase IX deficiency in the mouse stomachHeini Kallio
Institute of Medical Technology and School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, FI 33520 Tampere, Finland
BMC Genomics 11:397. 2010..This was done using Illumina SentrixMouse-6 Expression BeadChip arrays. The expression of several genes with notable fold change values was confirmed by QRT-PCR...
- The protein tyrosine kinase inhibitors imatinib and nilotinib strongly inhibit several mammalian alpha-carbonic anhydrase isoformsSeppo Parkkila
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:4102-6. 2009..4-20.2microM). In cancer cells, these inhibitors may interact with CAs in addition to the targets for which they were designed, the PTKs...
- Characterization of the first beta-class carbonic anhydrase from an arthropod (Drosophila melanogaster) and phylogenetic analysis of beta-class carbonic anhydrases in invertebratesLeo Syrjänen
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Finland
BMC Biochem 11:28. 2010..g., Drosophila melanogaster...
- Cloning, expression, post-translational modifications and inhibition studies on the latest mammalian carbonic anhydrase isoform, CA XVMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Biokatu 6, FI 33520, Tampere, Finland
J Med Chem 52:646-54. 2009..Due to the presence of this enzyme in rather high amounts in the rodent kidneys, the contribution of this isoform to the overall drug response should be taken into account when animal models are used to investigate CA inhibitors...
- Identification of an alternatively spliced isoform of carbonic anhydrase XII in diffusely infiltrating astrocytic gliomasJoonas Haapasalo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, FI 33520 Tampere, Finland
Neuro Oncol 10:131-8. 2008..The absence of 11 amino acids in the shorter isoform, which seems to be common in astrocytomas, may affect the normal quaternary structure and biological function of CA XII...
- Expression of carbonic anhydrase IX in mouse tissuesMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, 33520 Tampere, Finland
J Histochem Cytochem 52:1313-22. 2004..This result suggests a tight tissue-specific post-transcriptional control for CA IX expression, possibly related to the physiological demands...
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: Inhibition of the new membrane-associated isoform XV with phenolsAlessio Innocenti
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Polo Scientifico, Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Rm 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, 50019 Sesto Fiorentino Florence, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:3593-6. 2008..Phenols show a different inhibition mechanism as compared to sulfonamides and their isosteres, and may lead to the design of compounds with selectivity for inhibiting different CA isozymes with medicinal chemistry applications...
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: the very weak inhibitors dithiothreitol, beta-mercaptoethanol, tris(carboxyethyl)phosphine and threitol interfere with the binding of sulfonamides to isozymes II and IXAlessio Innocenti
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Room 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, I 50019 Sesto Fiorentino Firenze, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:1898-903. 2008....
- Expression of carbonic anhydrase IX in astrocytic tumors predicts poor prognosisJoonas A Haapasalo
Department of Pathology, Centre for Laboratory Medicine, Tampere University Hospital, FIN 33521 Tampere, Finland
Clin Cancer Res 12:473-7. 2006..Ectopic CA IX expression has been observed in several tumors, whose normal counterparts do not express this enzyme. Normal human brain tissue shows only slight or no expression of CA IX...