T H Harju
Affiliation: University of Oulu
- Myofibroblast expression in airways and alveoli is affected by smoking and COPDHenna M Karvonen
Department of Internal Medicine Respiratory Research Unit, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 14:84. 2013..Our aim was to analyse the numbers of alpha-smooth muscle actin (α-SMA) positive cells, as a marker of myofibroblasts, in different lung compartments in non-smokers and smokers with normal lung function or COPD...
- Snail promotes an invasive phenotype in lung carcinomaHeta Merikallio
Department of Internal Medicine, Respiratory Research Unit, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 13:104. 2012..Snail is a transcriptional factor which is known to influence the epitheliomesenchymal transition (EMT) by regulating adhesion proteins such as E-cadherin and claudins as well as matrix metalloproteases (MMP)...
- Divergent expression of claudin -1, -3, -4, -5 and -7 in developing human lungRiitta Kaarteenaho
Institute of Diagnostics, Department of Pathology and Clinical Research Center, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 11:59. 2010..The aim of this study was to analyze the expression of claudins 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 in developing human lung tissues from 12 to 40 weeks of gestation...
- Modulation of glutaredoxin in the lung and sputum of cigarette smokers and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMirva J Peltoniemi
Biocenter Oulu and Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 7:133. 2006..However, the role of Grxs in smoking related diseases is unclear...
- Variability in the precursor proteins of collagen I and III in different stages of COPDTerttu Harju
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Respiratory Unit, Centre of Excellence in Research, P, O, Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 11:165. 2010..This study determined whether the expression of precursors of type I and III collagen proteins would be increased in small and large airways of COPD patients in various stages of the disease reflecting fibrogenesis...
- Cold-related respiratory symptoms in the general populationTerttu Harju
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Clin Respir J 4:176-85. 2010..However, the prevalence of such symptoms in the general population and the threshold temperatures at which the symptoms start to emerge are poorly known...
- Glutathione-S-transferases in lung and sputum specimens, effects of smoking and COPD severityTerttu Harju
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Centre of Excellence in Research, P O Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Respir Res 9:80. 2008..Glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) detoxify toxic compounds in tobacco smoke via glutathione-dependent mechanisms. Little is known about the regulation and expression of GSTs in COPD lung and their presence in airway secretions...
- Glutathione S-transferase omega in the lung and sputum supernatants of COPD patientsTerttu H Harju
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Respir Res 8:48. 2007..Glutathione-S-transferase omega (GSTO) is a recently characterized cysteine containing enzyme with the capability to bind and release GSH in vitro. GSTO has not been investigated in human lung or lung diseases...
- Pathogenic bacteria and viruses in induced sputum or pharyngeal secretions of adults with stable asthmaT H Harju
Department of Internal Medicine, P O Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
Thorax 61:579-84. 2006..Respiratory infections are well known triggers of asthma exacerbations, but their role in stable adult asthma remains unclear...
- Cold temperature and low humidity are associated with increased occurrence of respiratory tract infectionsTiina M Mäkinen
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Finland
Respir Med 103:456-62. 2009..The association between cold exposure and acute respiratory tract infections (RTIs) has remained unclear. The study examined whether the development of RTIs is potentiated by cold exposure and lowered humidity in a northern population...
- Nitric oxide synthases are associated with bronchial dysplasiaAiri R A Puhakka
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Lung Cancer 51:275-82. 2006..049, respectively) specimens. Thus, smoking can cause protein nitration also in normal lung. Prominent iNOS and nNOS immunoreactivity in the metaplasia-dysplasia-lesions suggests a divergent role of NOSs in lung carcinogenesis...