Affiliation: Helsinki University Central Hospital
- Incidence and outcome of epilepsy syndromes with onset in the first year of life: A retrospective population-based studyEija Gaily
Children s Hospital, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Epilepsia 57:1594-1601. 2016..Population-based studies on infantile epilepsy syndromes are scarce. Our aim was to provide syndrome-specific data on the incidence and outcome of epilepsy in a population-based cohort of infants with epilepsy onset in the first year...
- Vigabatrin monotherapy for infantile spasmsEija Gaily
Helsinki University Central Hospital, Department of Pediatric Neurology, PO Box 280, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
Expert Rev Neurother 12:275-86. 2012..Treatment choices are based on balancing the potential adverse effects against the risk of catastrophic cognitive and behavioral outcomes caused by uncontrolled spasms...
- Infantile spasms: diagnosis and assessment of treatment response by video-EEGE Gaily
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Finland
Dev Med Child Neurol 43:658-67. 2001..Video-EEG is the only reliable method for assessing treatment response as spasms and interictal EEG abnormalities are modified by treatment and may become subtle...
- Normal intelligence in children with prenatal exposure to carbamazepineE Gaily
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, 00029 HUS, Finland
Neurology 62:28-32. 2004..To investigate the effect of antiepileptic drugs, especially carbamazepine and valproate, on intelligence in prenatally exposed children of mothers with epilepsy...
- Visual fields at school-age in children treated with vigabatrin in infancyEija Gaily
Department of Gynecology and Pediatrics, Epilepsy Unit, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Epilepsia 50:206-16. 2009..VGB is an effective drug for infantile spasms, but there are no reports on later visual field testing after such treatment. Our aim was to investigate the risk of VAVFL in school-age children who had received VGB in infancy...
- Cognitive deficits after cryptogenic infantile spasms with benign seizure evolutionE Gaily
Helsinki University Central Hospital, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Neurology, Finland
Dev Med Child Neurol 41:660-4. 1999..Three children had mild learning disability. Abnormal developmental status at age 8 to 15 months after complete resolution of spasms and EEG abnormalities was associated with cognitive deficits at age 4 to 6 years...
- Oxcarbazepine in the treatment of epilepsy in children and adolescents with intellectual disabilityE Gaily
Department of Child Neurology, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Intellect Disabil Res 42:41-5. 1998..Oxcarbazepine appears to be an effective and well-tolerated drug for children and adolescents with intellectual disability and epilepsy...
- Proton spectroscopic imaging shows abnormalities in glial and neuronal cell pools in frontal lobe epilepsyN Lundbom
Department of Radiology, Helsinki University Central Hospital HUCH, Helsinki, Finland
Epilepsia 42:1507-14. 2001..We used 1H MRS to lateralize and localize the epileptogenic focus, and we also sought to characterize further the metabolic abnormality in FLE...
- Semiautomatic quantification of spiking in patients with continuous spikes and waves in sleep: sensitivity to settings and correspondence to visual assessmentM E Peltola
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Turku University Hospital, Finland
Clin Neurophysiol 123:1284-90. 2012..To define the optimal analysis protocol for semiautomatic quantification of spike index (SI) in continuous spikes and waves in sleep (CSWS)...
- Combined use of non-invasive techniques for improved functional localization for a selected group of epilepsy surgery candidatesA M Vitikainen
HUSLAB BioMag Laboratory, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Helsinki University Central Hospital, P O Box 340, FI 00029 HUS, Finland
Neuroimage 45:342-8. 2009....