Affiliation: Abo Akademi University
- Quantification of a broad spectrum of lignans in cereals, oilseeds, and nutsAnnika I Smeds
Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacy, Abo Akademi University, BioCity, Artillerigatan 6A, FI 20520, Turku, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 55:1337-46. 2007..Syringaresinol was the other dominant cereal lignan. Wheat and rye bran had the highest lignan content of all cereals; however, linseeds and sesame seeds were by far the most lignan-rich of the studied species...
- Chemical characterization of high-molar-mass fractions in a Norway spruce knotwood ethanol extractAnnika I Smeds
Johan Gadolin Process Chemistry Centre, Abo Akademi University, c o Laboratory of Wood and Paper Chemistry, Porthansgatan 3 5, 20500 Turku, Finland Electronic address
Phytochemistry 130:207-17. 2016..The part of the HMM material in the MTBE soluble fraction that was easily isolable (2%) seemed to contain polymers of fatty acids and alcohols, resin acids, and sterols. ..
- Content, composition, and stereochemical characterisation of lignans in berries and seedsAnnika I Smeds
Laboratory of Wood and Paper Chemistry, Process Chemistry Centre, Åbo Akademi University, Porthansgatan 3 5, FI 20500 Turku Abo, Finland
Food Chem 134:1991-8. 2012..The lignans are concentrated in the hull of the oilseeds and in the seeds of the berries. In most samples, secoisolarici-, pino-, medio-, and syringaresinol were present as a mixture of two enantiomers...
- Effect of dietary intervention on serum lignan levels in pregnant women - a controlled trialRiitta Luoto
UKK Institute for Health Promotion, Tampere, Finland
Reprod Health 7:26. 2010..Aim of our study was to investigate whether a dietary intervention affects lignan concentrations in the serum of pregnant women...
- Characterization of variation in the lignan content and composition of winter rye, spring wheat, and spring oatAnnika I Smeds
Laboratory of Wood and Paper Chemistry, Process Chemistry Centre, Abo Akademi University, Porthansgatan 3 5, FI 20500 Turku, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 57:5837-42. 2009..This study shows that varying cereal lignan concentrations reported in different studies may be, besides differences in analytical methods, largely dependent upon natural variations...
- Occurrence of "mammalian" lignans in plant and water sourcesAnnika I Smeds
Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacy, Abo Akademi University, BioCity, Artillerigatan 6 A, 20520 Turku, Finland
Planta 226:639-46. 2007..Both the remaining seeds and seedlings contained high EL levels, especially the roots. They also contained metabolites of EL, i.e., 7-hydroxy-EL and 7-oxo-EL...
- Determination of plant and enterolignans in human serum by high-performance liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometric detectionAnnika I Smeds
Abo Akademi University, Department of Organic Chemistry, Biskopsgatan 8, FI 20500 Turku, Finland
J Pharm Biomed Anal 41:898-905. 2006..Using the method, common dietary plant lignans and their major metabolites can be reliably quantified in human serum at low-nanomolar concentrations in a simple and rapid way...
- New lignan metabolites in rat urineAnnika I Smeds
Department of Organic Chemistry, Abo Akademi University, Biskopsgatan 8, FIN 20500 Turku Abo, Finland
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 816:87-97. 2005..In addition, other novel lignan metabolites were detected, i.e., 7-oxomatairesinol, alpha-conidendrin, and alpha- and beta-conidendric acid...
- Urinary excretion of lignans after administration of isolated plant lignans to rats: the effect of single dose and ten-day exposuresAnnika I Smeds
Department of Organic Chemistry, Abo Akademi University, Biskopsg 8, FIN 20500 Turku Abo, Finland
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 813:303-12. 2004..Metabolic transformations of plant lignans into each other could also be observed...
- Brominated flame retardants and phenolic endocrine disrupters in Finnish human adipose tissueAnnika Smeds
Department of Organic Chemistry, Abo Akademi University, Biskopsgatan 8, FIN 20500 Turku, Finland
Chemosphere 53:1123-30. 2003..Compared to other European studies the average concentration of BDE-47 obtained in this study is at the lower end of the reported concentrations...
- Liquid chromatographic-tandem mass spectrometric method for the plant lignan 7-hydroxymatairesinol and its potential metabolites in human plasmaAnnika Smeds
Abo Akademi University, Department of Organic Chemistry, Biskopsgatan 8, FIN 20500, Turku, Finland
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 793:297-308. 2003..In pooled plasma and in plasma samples collected from two individual subjects lignan glucuronides and sulfates were enzymatically hydrolysed to free lignans and then analysed. All the lignans could be detected in the samples...
- Identification and quantification of polychlorinated biphenyls and some endocrine disrupting pesticides in human adipose tissue from FinlandA Smeds
Department of Organic Chemistry, Abo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
Chemosphere 44:1463-71. 2001..Statistical analysis showed a positive age correlation of DDE in females and hexachlorobenzene in males. No statistically significant differences were found for concentrations of individual compounds between sexes...
- A new lariciresinol-type butyrolactone lignan derived from hydroxymatairesinol and its identification in spruce woodPatrik C Eklund
Department of Organic Chemistry, Process Chemistry Centre, Abo Akademi University, Biskopsgatan 8, FIN 20500, Turku Abo, Finland
J Nat Prod 67:927-31. 2004..The formation of isohydroxymatairesinol (2) and epi-isohydroxymatairesinol (3) from hydroxymatairesinol (1), and their detection in rat urine after administration of 1, is discussed...
- Dietary lariciresinol attenuates mammary tumor growth and reduces blood vessel density in human MCF-7 breast cancer xenografts and carcinogen-induced mammary tumors in ratsNiina M Saarinen
Functional Foods Forum, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Int J Cancer 123:1196-204. 2008..These findings indicate conceivable importance of dietary lignan lariciresinol in inhibition of breast cancer development...
- The plant lignans matairesinol and secoisolariciresinol administered to Min mice do not protect against intestinal tumor formationAnne Maria Pajari
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, P O Box 66, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Lett 233:309-14. 2006..001). These results showed that MAT or SECO do not prevent intestinal carcinogenesis in Min mice and that MAT may have adverse effects...