- Antibiotic-lock therapy for long-term intravascular catheter-related bacteraemia: results of an open, non-comparative study
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Medicine Department Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:1172-80. 2006
..Infection is one of the main problems associated with long-term central venous catheters. This study assesses the effectiveness of antibiotic-lock therapy (ALT) for treating catheter-related bacteraemia (CRB)...
- Ampicillin plus ceftriaxone is as effective as ampicillin plus gentamicin for treating enterococcus faecalis infective endocarditis
Servei de Malalties Infeccioses, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron Passeig de la Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 56:1261-8. 2013
..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of the ampicillin plus ceftriaxone (AC) and ampicillin plus gentamicin (AG) combinations for treating Enterococcus faecalis infective endocarditis (EFIE)...
- Immediate and long-term outcome of left-sided infective endocarditis. A 12-year prospective study from a contemporary cohort in a referral hospital
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:E522-30. 2012
..6) remained alive, with no surgery requirement, relapse or recurrence. LSIE is associated with considerable in-hospital and long-term mortality, especially PVIE. However, relapses, recurrences and the need for late surgery are uncommon...
- [Infective endocarditis in the XXI century: epidemiological, therapeutic, and prognosis changes]
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 30:394-406. 2012
- Contemporary epidemiology and prognosis of health care-associated infective endocarditis
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 47:1287-97. 2008
..The aim of this study was to describe the characteristics of health care-associated infective endocarditis (HAIE) and to establish the risk factors for mortality...
- Evaluation of linezolid, vancomycin, gentamicin and ciprofloxacin in a rabbit model of antibiotic-lock technique for Staphylococcus aureus catheter-related infection
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:525-30. 2010
..The effectiveness of linezolid, vancomycin, ciprofloxacin and gentamicin for treating experimental Staphylococcus aureus catheter-related infection by the antibiotic-lock technique was assessed...
- Prognosis of left-sided infective endocarditis in patients transferred to a tertiary-care hospital--prospective analysis of referral bias and influence of inadequate antimicrobial treatment
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron and Research Institute, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Medicine Department, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:769-75. 2011
..3, 95% CI 1.1-10.0, p 0.030). Errors in the initial antimicrobial treatment prescribed for LSIE are associated with greater mortality...
- Effectiveness of antibiotic-lock therapy for long-term catheter-related bacteremia due to Gram-negative bacilli: a prospective observational study
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Medicine Department, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 53:e129-32. 2011
..In 46 uncomplicated episodes, the most frequently isolated microorganisms were Pseudomonas aeruginosa (15), Enterobacter cloacae (12), Escherichia coli (10), and Klebsiella spp. (8). Cure was achieved in 95% of cases...
- Sex differences in native-valve infective endocarditis in a single tertiary-care hospital
Cardiology Department, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Cardiol 106:92-8. 2010
..In conclusion, women with infective endocarditis were slightly older than men but showed similar co-morbidities. Women underwent surgery less frequently and consequently had worse prognosis than men...
- Long-Term Fosfomycin-Tromethamine Oral Therapy for Difficult-To-Treat Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 60:1854-8. 2015
..There were no side effects. Fosfomycin-tromethamine is a possible alternative therapy for chronic bacterial prostatitis. ..
- Daptomycin is effective as antibiotic-lock therapy in a model of Staphylococcus aureus catheter-related infection
Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory, Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect 68:548-52. 2014
..The effectiveness of daptomycin versus vancomycin for treating experimental methicillin-susceptible (MSSA) and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) catheter-related infection by antibiotic-lock technique was assessed...
- [Infective endocarditis in adult patients with congenital heart disease. Experience from a reference centre]
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 34:626-632. 2016
..Infective endocarditis (IE) is a major complication in this population. The aim of this study was to describe the features of IE in adults with CHD treated in a reference centre...
- Evaluation of the usefulness of a quantitative blood culture in the diagnosis of catheter-related bloodstream infection: Comparative analysis of two periods (2002 and 2012)
Anna Maria Planes
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Vall d Hebron Research Institute VHIR, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 34:484-9. 2016
..A retrospective study was conducted to investigate the usefulness of systematic quantitative blood culture (QBC) in the diagnosis of catheter-related bloodstream infection (CRBSI) during two 1-year periods (2002 and 2012)...
- Association between surgical indications, operative risk, and clinical outcome in infective endocarditis: a prospective study from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis
Vivian H Chu
From Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC V H C, L P P, A W Barwon Health and Deakin University, Geelong, Australia E A Hospital Louis Pradel, Lyon Bron, France F D Center for Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantation, Brno, and Central European Institute of Technology, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic T F Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia, and Unigranrio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil C L Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clínic August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain J M M, J M P OhioHealth Heart and Vascular Physicians, Columbus, OH D W M Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel J S University Hospital, Amiens, and INSERM U 1088, University of Picardie, Amiens, France C T Internal Medicine, University of Naples SUN, Monaldi Hospital, Naples, Italy E D M Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain N F H Instituto Cardiovascular de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Minneapolis 55455
Circulation 131:131-40. 2015
..Use of surgery for the treatment of infective endocarditis (IE) as related to surgical indications and operative risk for mortality has not been well defined...
- Health care associated hematogenous pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis: a severe and potentially preventable infectious disease
From the Infectious Diseases Department CP, DR P, NF H, LM, BA Orthopedic Department FP Microbiology Department M NL, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona and REIPI Spanish Network for Research in Infectious Diseases CP, DR P, NF H, M NL, MP, BA, Madrid, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 94:e365. 2015
..Compared with CAVO, in health care associated hematogenous VO, mortality and relapse rates are higher; hence, further prevention measures should be assessed. ..
- Antibiotic-lock therapy: a clinical viewpoint
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron Passeig Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 12:117-29. 2014
- Neurological complications of infective endocarditis: risk factors, outcome, and impact of cardiac surgery: a multicenter observational study
Spanish Network for Research in Infectious Diseases, Seville, Spain
Circulation 127:2272-84. 2013
..The purpose of this study was to assess the incidence of neurological complications in patients with infective endocarditis, the risk factors for their development, their influence on the clinical outcome, and the impact of cardiac surgery...
- Health care-associated native valve endocarditis: importance of non-nosocomial acquisition
Hospital de Santa Creu i Sant Pau, University Autonoma of Barcelona, and Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Intern Med 150:586-94. 2009
..The clinical profile and outcome of nosocomial and non-nosocomial health care-associated native valve endocarditis are not well defined...
- Candida infective endocarditis
J W Baddley
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0006, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:519-29. 2008
..Indications for surgical intervention are different and mortality is increased. Newer antifungal treatment options are increasingly used. Large, multi-center studies are needed to help better define Candida IE...