Affiliation: University of Aarhus
- Systemic effects of wood smoke in a short-term experimental exposure study of atopic volunteersJakob Hjort Bønløkke
From the Section of Environment Work and Health Drs Bønløkke, Riddervold, and Sigsgaard, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark Section of Biostatistics Ms Grønborg, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology Drs Skogstrand and Hougaard, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark and Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Dr Barregard, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Occup Environ Med 56:177-83. 2014..To investigate whether short-term systemic effects of wood smoke occurred in atopic subjects after experimental wood smoke exposures...
- Effects of wood smoke particles from wood-burning stoves on the respiratory health of atopic humansIngunn Skogstad Riddervold
Department of Public Health, Section for Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Part Fibre Toxicol 9:12. 2012....
- Work-related health effects in swine building workers after respiratory protection useJakob Hjort Bønløkke
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Institute of Public Health, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
J Occup Environ Med 54:1126-32. 2012..To compare inflammation and lung function in swine workers after periods with and without respiratory protection during work...
- Snow crab allergy and asthma among Greenlandic workers--a pilot studyJakob Hjort Bønløkke
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, School of Public Health, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Int J Circumpolar Health 71:19126. 2012..To study snow crab sensitization, occupational allergy and asthma in the snow crab industry in Greenland, as high rates have been found in Canada, but no reports have emerged from the same industry in Greenland...
- Controlled human wood smoke exposure: oxidative stress, inflammation and microvascular functionLykke Forchhammer
Section of Environmental Health, Department of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Part Fibre Toxicol 9:7. 2012..We investigated effects on systemic inflammation, oxidative stress and microvascular function (MVF) after controlled wood smoke exposure...
- Respiratory symptoms and ex vivo cytokine release are associated in workers processing herringJakob Hjort Bønløkke
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Aarhus, Vennelyst Boulevard 6, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 77:136-41. 2004..To determine the prevalence of respiratory symptoms among workers processing herring and assess ex vivo cytokine release in response to agents at their workplace...
- Seasonal variations in work-related health effects in swine farm workersJakob Hjort Bønløkke
Laval Hospital Research Centre, Laval Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Ann Agric Environ Med 16:43-52. 2009..0006). The study supported our hypothesis of adverse effects on lung function and immune system, but less so during summer than during winter among Quebec swine farm workers...
- Exposure to inhalable dust and endotoxin among Danish pig farmers affected by work tasks and stable characteristicsIoannis Basinas
Department of Public Health, Section for Environment, Occupation and Health, Danish Ramazzini Center, Aarhus University, Bartholins Alle 2, Building 1260, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Ann Occup Hyg 57:1005-19. 2013..To identify working tasks and stable characteristics that determine intensity and variability of personal exposure to dust and endotoxin among pig farmers...
- Exposure to work-related levels of swine dust up-regulates CD106 on human alveolar macrophagesHans Jurgen Hoffmann
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Ind Med 46:378-80. 2004..Monocyte recruitment to the murine lung after instillation of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) has been shown to partially depend on CD106/VCAM1. We wanted to determine whether this can be confirmed in man...
- Exposure-affecting factors of dairy farmers' exposure to inhalable dust and endotoxinIoannis Basinas
1 Department of Public Health, Section for Environment, Occupation and Health, Danish Ramazzini Center, Aarhus University, Bartholins Alle 2, bg 1260, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Ann Occup Hyg 58:707-23. 2014..Studies on determinants of dairy farmers' exposure to dust and endotoxin have been sparse and so far none has addressed the combined effect of tasks and farm characteristics...
- Exposure to inhalable dust and endotoxin among Danish livestock farmers: results from the SUS cohort studyIoannis Basinas
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, School of Public Health, Aarhus University, Bartholins Alle 2, bg 1260, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Environ Monit 14:604-14. 2012..The development of preventive strategies to reduce exposure will require in-depth identification of factors that affect day-to-day variability in exposure...
- The effect of occupational farming on lung function development in young adults: a 15-year follow-up studyAnneli C S Bolund
Department of Public Health, Section of Environment Occupation and Health, Danish Ramazzini Centre, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
Occup Environ Med 72:707-13. 2015..Longitudinal studies on the effect of farming on lung function in young participants are few. Our objective was to explore if exposure to farming impaired lung function in young adults...
- Plasma C3d levels of young farmers correlate with respirable dust exposure levels during normal work in swine confinement buildingsHans Jurgen Hoffmann
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Ann Agric Environ Med 10:53-60. 2003..Acute exposure, with work related levels of organic dust containing endotoxin, leads to a weak systemic inflammatory response...
- [Does shift work cause spontaneous abortion, preterm birth or low birth weight?]Vivi Schlunssen
Aarhus Universitet, Institut for Folkesundhed, Afdeling for Miljø og Arbejdsmedicin, Arhus Universitetshospital, Arhus C
Ugeskr Laeger 169:893-900. 2007..If fixed night work for all pregnant women is avoided, seven late abortion/stillbirths a year can be prevented. Fixed night work for pregnant women should be avoided...
- New-onset asthma and the effect of environment and occupation among farming and nonfarming rural subjectsØyvind Omland
Institute of Public Health, Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:761-5. 2011..Many factors, including environmental exposures, have been related to the increase in the prevalence of asthma, but only few have been tested for in longitudinal studies...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease involves substantial health-care service and social benefit costsMartin Bach Jensen
Research Unit for General Practice in The North Jutland Region and School of Public Health, Aarhus University, and Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Algade 11, 9300 Sæby, Denmark
Dan Med J 60:A4557. 2013..The present study compared health care-related costs and the use of social benefits and transfer payments in participants with and without chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and related the costs to the severity of the COPD...
- Exposure and respiratory health in farming in temperate zones--a review of the literatureØyvind Omland
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Ann Agric Environ Med 9:119-36. 2002..Working exposure seems to influence the domestic area in farms, and being raised on a farm might have a protective effect regarding sensitisation and allergic diseases...