Genomes and Genes
Anders L Nielsen
Affiliation: University of Aarhus
- Identification and characterization of GFAPkappa, a novel glial fibrillary acidic protein isoformJenny Blechingberg
Institute of Human Genetics, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C DK 8000, Denmark
Glia 55:497-507. 2007....
- A new splice variant of glial fibrillary acidic protein, GFAP epsilon, interacts with the presenilin proteinsAnders Lade Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Biol Chem 277:29983-91. 2002..Mutations in GFAP and presenilins are associated with Alexander disease and Alzheimer's disease, respectively. Accordingly, GFAP epsilon should be taken into consideration when studying neurodegenerative diseases...
- Mutations associated with a childhood leukodystrophy, Alexander disease, cause deficiency in dimerization of the cytoskeletal protein GFAPAnders L Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Neurogenet 16:175-9. 2002..We examined the functional effect of such mutations, and observed a decrease in GFAP dimerization. This effect behaves in a dominant fashion and points towards a potential mechanism in pathogenesis...
- Reelin expression during embryonic development of the pig brainKarsten B Nielsen
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, Bartholin Building 1240, Wilhelm Meyers Alle, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
BMC Neurosci 11:75. 2010..In order to establish an animal model for neuronal migration disorders in the pig, we have studied the expression pattern and structure of Reelin during pig brain development...
- Genetic polymorphism and sequence evolution of an alternatively spliced exon of the glial fibrillary acidic protein gene, GFAPRipudaman Singh
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Genomics 82:185-93. 2003..Threonine represents a potential phosphorylation site, and positive selection of that effect could explain the high allele frequency...
- Molecular characterization and temporal expression profiling of presenilins in the developing porcine brainLone B Madsen
Section for Molecular Genetics and Systems Biology, Department of Genetics and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Aarhus, Tjele, Denmark
BMC Neurosci 8:72. 2007..Here we describe the sequencing, chromosomal mapping, and polymorphism analysis of PSEN1 and PSEN2 in the domestic pig (Sus scrofa domesticus)...
- 1Identification of genes differentially expressed in the embryonic pig cerebral cortex before and after appearance of gyrationKarsten B Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, The Bartholin Building, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
BMC Res Notes 3:127. 2010..Due to the lack of gyration of the rodent brain it is important to establish alternative models to examine brain development during the gyration process. The pig brain is gyrated and accordingly is a candidate alternative model...
- Structural and functional characterization of the zebrafish gene for glial fibrillary acidic protein, GFAPAnders Lade Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
Gene 310:123-32. 2003..This indicates that a change of functionally core residues in GFAP is a prerequisite for the disease phenotype to develop and the initial steps in the pathogenesis may thus be modeled in zebrafish...
- Nizp1, a novel multitype zinc finger protein that interacts with the NSD1 histone lysine methyltransferase through a unique C2HR motifAnders Lade Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, Aarhus University, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Mol Cell Biol 24:5184-96. 2004..Thus, Nizp1 contains a novel type of zinc finger motif that functions as a docking site for NSD1 and is more than just a degenerate evolutionary remnant of a C2H2 motif...
- Regulatory mechanisms for 3'-end alternative splicing and polyadenylation of the Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein, GFAP, transcriptJenny Blechingberg
Institute of Human Genetics, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Nucleic Acids Res 35:7636-50. 2007..Our data suggest a model with the selection of the exon 7a polyadenylation site being the essential and primary event for regulating GFAP alternative processing...
- Self-assembly of the cytoskeletal glial fibrillary acidic protein is inhibited by an isoform-specific C terminusAnders Lade Nielsen
Department of Human Genetics, Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Biol Chem 279:41537-45. 2004..We propose that the GFAPepsilon isoform represents a new functionally distinct component of GFAP intermediate filaments...
- Selective interaction between the chromatin-remodeling factor BRG1 and the heterochromatin-associated protein HP1alphaAnders Lade Nielsen
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, BP10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, France
EMBO J 21:5797-806. 2002..Taken together, these results demonstrate that mammalian HP1 proteins are biochemically distinct and suggest an entirely novel function for BRG1 in modulating HP1alpha-containing heterochromatic structures...