Affiliation: Charles University
Country: Czech Republic
- Cercarial dermatitis, a neglected allergic diseaseLibuse Kolarova
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General University Hospital in Prague, Studnickova 7, 128 00, Prague 2, Czech Republic
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 45:63-74. 2013..This review covers basic information on detection of the infectious agents in the field and the clinical course of the disease, including other pathologies which may develop after infection by cercariae, and diagnosis of the disease. ..
- Trichobilharzia mergi sp. nov. (Trematoda: Digenea: Schistosomatidae), a visceral schistosome of Mergus serrator (L.) (Aves: Anatidae)Libuse Kolarova
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
Parasitol Int 62:300-8. 2013..mergi is associated with Radix balthica L. (=Radix peregra Müller, 1774;=Radix ovata Draparnaud, 1805)...
- Methodical approaches in the identification of areas with a potential risk of infection by bird schistosomes causing cercarial dermatitisL Kolarova
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology of the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General Teaching Hospital, 128 00 Prague 2, Czech Republic
J Helminthol 84:327-35. 2010..Therefore, based on personal experience and data available in the literature, we have summarized methodological approaches enabling the detection of bird schistosomes in various hosts and environments...
- Bird schistosome diversity in Iceland: molecular evidenceJ A Aldhoun
Department of Parasitology, Charles University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
J Helminthol 83:173-80. 2009..High diversity of bird schistosomes in Iceland is probably linked with migratory flyways of birds, as several bird species from Iceland overwinter in western Europe as well as in North America...
- The severity of mouse pathologies caused by the bird schistosome Trichobilharzia regenti in relation to host immune statusP Kourilová
Department of Tropical Medicine, 3rd Clinic of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Faculty Hospital Bulovka, 128 00, Prague 2, Czech Republic
Parasitol Res 93:8-16. 2004....
- Trichobilharzia regenti n. sp. (Schistosomatidae, Bilharziellinae), a new nasal schistosome from EuropeP Horak
Department of Parasitology, Charles University, Prague 2, Czech Republic
Parasite 5:349-57. 1998..The adult occupy the nasal blood vessels where they lay the eggs; the miracidia hatch from the eggs directly in the tissue and leave the host during drinking/feeding of the infected birds...
- [Hydatic cysts--echinococcosis]J Svab
I chirurgická klinika 1 LF UK a VFN, Praha
Cas Lek Cesk 145:55-8. 2006..The case diagnosis and treatment of hydatic cyst in the right and left lobe of the liver in a 28 year old pregnant woman is described in the article...
- Cercaria-schistosomulum surface transformation of Trichobilharzia szidati and its putative immunological impactP Horak
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague Czech Republic
Parasitology 116:139-47. 1998..The loss of surface targets as a part of parasite immune evasion within the host is discussed...
- Histopathology of CNS and nasal infections caused by Trichobilharzia regenti in vertebratesL Kolarova
Department of Tropical Medicine, 3rd Clinic of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Charles University, Faculty Hospital Bulovka, Czech Republic
Parasitol Res 87:644-50. 2001..Histopathological changes may explain symptoms described previously for prepatent and patent phases of infections caused by T. regenti, i.e., neuromotor abnormalities in birds and mammals and hemorrhages/petechiae in birds, respectively...
- [Significance of schistosome lectins in the host allergic reaction evoked by penetration of cercaria]L Kolarova
Oddĕlení tropické medicíny III kliniky infekcních a tropických nemocí LF UK a FN Bulovka, Praha
Cas Lek Cesk 139:42-5. 2000..Moreover, the gland content is considered to play a role in shedding of surface antigens and in changes of parasite tegumental architecture...
- Bird schistosomes: do they die in mammalian skin?P Horak
Dept of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Vinicné 7, CZ 12844 Prague, Czech Republic
Trends Parasitol 17:66-9. 2001..Here, we review bird schistosomes as causative agents of cercarial dermatitis, underline adaptations of bird schistosomes to their life in vertebrate hosts, and discuss potential risks caused by the parasites migrating in humans...
- Survival of bird schistosomes in mammalian lungsP Horak
Department of Parasitology, Charles University, Vinicna 7, 128 44, Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Parasitol 30:65-8. 2000..These results suggest that the parasite's failure in the murine host might be caused by some immunologically unrelated factors...
- Trichobilharzia regenti, a pathogen of the avian and mammalian central nervous systemsP Horak
Department of Parasitology, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Parasitology 119:577-81. 1999..regenti in mouse CNS; in certain cases leg paralysis was also recorded. Therefore, the pathogenesis spectrum caused by bird schistosomes in birds/mammals needs to be reconsidered...
- Schistosome cercariae as the causative agent of swimmer's itch in IcelandL Kolarova
Department of Tropical Medicine, Charles University, Faculty Hospital Bulovka, Prague, Czech Republic
J Helminthol 73:215-20. 1999..This is the first report of schistosomes in Iceland and also the most northern occurrence of these parasites in Europe...
- Variations in immunofluorescent antibody response against Trichobilharzia and Schistosoma antigens in compatible and incompatible hostsP Kourilová
Department of Tropical Medicine, 3rd Clinic of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Charles University, Faculty Hospital Bulovka, Studnickova 7, 128 43 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Parasitol Res 88:513-21. 2002..Based on the presented data, our study supports the use of IFAT for the serological differentiation of schistosomiasis and cercarial dermatitis caused by bird schistosomes...
- Penetration of Trichobilharzia cercariae into mammals: dangerous or negligible event?P Horak
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Vinicna 7, 128 44 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Parasite 15:299-303. 2008..In this minireview, the adaptations and pathogenic effects of bird schistosomes in experimental mammals are discussed, and some ideas/hypotheses on risks to humans from exposure to bird schistosome cercariae are expressed...