A A Escobedo
Affiliation: Ciudad de La Habana
- Giardiasis: the ever-present threat of a neglected diseaseAngel A Escobedo
Hospital Pediátrico Universitario Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina 27 Plaza Ciudad de La Habana, CP 10400, Cuba
Infect Disord Drug Targets 10:329-48. 2010..A number of future research priorities are also presented...
- Combination therapy in the management of giardiasis: What laboratory and clinical studies tell us, so farAngel A Escobedo
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, F No 616, esquina a 27, Plaza, La Habana 10400, Cuba Working Group on Zoonoses, International Society for Chemotherapy, Aberdeen, United Kingdom Committee on Clinical Parasitology, Panamerican Association for Infectious Diseases Asociación Panamericana de Infectología, Cuba Electronic address
Acta Trop 162:196-205. 2016....
- A meta-analysis of the efficacy of albendazole compared with tinidazole as treatments for Giardia infections in childrenAngel A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina 27, Plaza, La Habana CP 10400, Cuba Working Group on Zoonoses, International Society for Chemotherapy, Aberdeen, United Kingdom Committee on Clinical Parasitology, Panamerican Association of Infectology Electronic address
Acta Trop 153:120-7. 2016..Our results show that TNZ outperforms ABZ in the treatment of Giardia infections in children from developing countries. ..
- Chloroquine: An Old Drug with New Perspective Against GiardiasisAngel A Escobedo
Department of Microbiology, Paediatric Academic Hospital Pedro Borrás 616, F Plaza Havana City, 10400, Cuba
Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov 10:134-41. 2015....
- A bibliometric study of international scientific productivity in giardiasis covering the period 1971-2010Angel A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Havana, Cuba
J Infect Dev Ctries 9:76-86. 2015..The purpose of this study was to provide an overview of Giardia and giardiasis research over time, as represented by the quantity of published papers...
- Sexual transmission of giardiasis: a neglected route of spread?Angel A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Havana 10400, Cuba Electronic address
Acta Trop 132:106-11. 2014....
- Hospitalization of Cuban children for giardiasis: a retrospective study in a paediatric hospital in HavanaA A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 105:47-56. 2011..Such information on the clinical characteristics of giardiasis among children living in an endemic area may be valuable to paediatricians and public-health officials who wish to screen for the disease...
- Caregiver perspectives for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of childhood giardiasis in Havana City, Cuba. A qualitative studyAngel A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Havana City, Cuba
Acta Trop 119:99-106. 2011..Treatment-seeking behaviour when giardiasis suspected mainly included visiting the nearby family doctor. The findings of this study reveal the need for a health education intervention in areas of misperceptions and confusion...
- Prevalence, risk factors and clinical features associated with intestinal parasitic infections in children from San Juan y Martínez, Pinar del Río, CubaA A Escobedo
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Havana City, 10400 Cuba
West Indian Med J 57:377-82. 2008..We suggest that IPIs, especially STH, in SJM should be strongly suspected in children with abdominal pain from rural areas. Targeted and frequent interventions to control these infections are needed in this municipality...
- Treatment of intestinal protozoan infections in childrenA A Escobedo
Academic Paediatric Hospital Pedro Borrás, Havana City, Cuba
Arch Dis Child 94:478-82. 2009..This article presents an update on the pharmacotherapy currently available for amoebiasis, giardiasis and other intestinal protozoan infections...
- The treatment of giardiasis in children: single-dose tinidazole compared with 3 days of nitazoxanideA A Escobedo
Department of Microbiology, Pediatric Academic Hospital Pedro Borrás, 616 F Plaza Havana City, 10400, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:199-207. 2008..Although apparently less efficacious than tinidazole, nitazoxanide remains a good candidate for the treatment of children with G. lamblia infection...
- Intestinal protozoan and helminth infections in the Municipality San Juan y Martínez, Pinar del Río, CubaA A Escobedo
Department of Microbiology, Paediatric Academic Hospital Pedro Borraás, Havana City 10400, Cuba
Trop Doct 37:236-8. 2007..The rates and intensity of intestinal parasitic infections found permit us to speculate that the conditions that predispose to acquire intestinal protozoan and STH infections persist in this municipality...
- Giardiasis: a pharmacotherapy reviewAngel A Escobedo
Jefe del departamento de Microbiología y Parasitología, Hospital Pediátrico Universitario Pedro Borrás, Ciudad de La Habana, CP, Cuba
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1885-902. 2007..The present article examines some of the most important points of antigiardial pharmacotherapy available at present and the future prospects of development of new agents...
- A randomized trial comparing mebendazole and secnidazole for the treatment of giardiasisA A Escobedo
Departamento de Parasitologia, Hospital Pediatrico Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina a 27, Plaza, Ciudad de La Habana, CP 10400, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:499-504. 2003..Mebendazole may be preferable to secnidazole in the treatment of giardiasis cases who have an history of intolerance to 5-nitromidazoles, and where infections with Giardia and soil-transmitted helminths frequently co-occur...
- Risk factors for Giardia infection among hospitalized children in CubaJ Bello
Academic Paediatric Hospital of Cerro, Calzada del Cerro No 2002, Cerro, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 105:57-64. 2011..If appropriately managed, the surveillance of drinking water and foodstuffs, for Giardia and other parasites, might also help to reduce the hospitalization of Cuban children...
- Comparison of chloroquine, albendazole and tinidazole in the treatment of children with giardiasisA A Escobedo
Departamento de Parasitologia, Hospital Pediatrico Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina a 27, Plaza Ciudad de La Habana, CP 10400, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:367-71. 2003..All three drugs were well accepted and tolerated, with only mild, transient and self-limiting side-effects reported. Chloroquine appears to be a good alternative to tinidazole for the treatment of paediatric patients with giardiasis...
- A randomized, controlled, open-label trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of chloroquine in the treatment of giardiasis in childrenR Canete
Cuban Institute of Gastroenterology, Havana City, Cuba
West Indian Med J 59:607-11. 2010..Giardia duodenalis is among the commonest protozoan parasites in the intestinal tract of humans and may cause significant morbidity worldwide. Although there are several antigiardial agents, treatment failures have been commonly reported...
- Intestinal coccidia in Cuban pediatric patients with diarrheaF A Núñez
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, La Habana, Cuba
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:539-42. 2003..01). Our results showed that emerging intestinal coccidia are pathogens strongly associated in this group of children with diarrhea...