- Does treatment with intermittent infusions of intravenous anti-D allow a proportion of adults with recently diagnosed immune thrombocytopenic purpura to avoid splenectomy?
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Blood 99:1922-7. 2002
..Platelet count at study entry was the primary predictor of outcome...
- The effect of rituximab on humoral and cell mediated immunity and infection in the treatment of autoimmune diseases
Department of Haematology, Imperial Health Care Trust, London, UK
Br J Haematol 149:3-13. 2010
- The efficacy and safety of B-cell depletion with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura
Division of Hematology Oncology, Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Br J Haematol 125:232-9. 2004
..No changes in immunoglobulin levels or infectious complications were seen. In summary, rituximab was well tolerated with no immediate complications and induced a lasting, substantial response in 32% of adults with chronic ITP...
- Intravenous (IV) anti-D and IV immunoglobulin achieve acute platelet increases by different mechanisms: modulation of cytokine and platelet responses to IV anti-D by FcgammaRIIa and FcgammaRIIIa polymorphisms
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Br J Haematol 124:511-8. 2004
- Platelet-associated antibodies, cellular immunity and FCGR3a genotype influence the response to rituximab in immune thrombocytopenia
Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial Health Care NHS Trust, London, UK
Br J Haematol 158:539-47. 2012
..Finally, the effect of FCGR polymorphisms on response confirms the importance of FCGR-mediated depletion of B cells in autoimmunity. This has implications on the pathology of ITP as well as the immunological effect of B cell depletion...
- Should rituximab be used before or after splenectomy in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura?
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Curr Opin Hematol 14:642-6. 2007
..This review discusses whether the optimal timing for this therapy is before splenectomy, or after failure of splenectomy...
- The long-term impact of rituximab for childhood immune thrombocytopenia
Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial Health Care NHS Trust, Du Cane Road, London, UK
Curr Rheumatol Rep 12:94-100. 2010
..Finally, although data remain limited, it is recommended to perform vaccinations before administration of rituximab or after B-cell return...
- Outcomes 5 years after response to rituximab therapy in children and adults with immune thrombocytopenia
Vivek L Patel
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, Platelet Disorders Research and Treatment Program, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 E 68th St, New York, NY 10065, USA
Blood 119:5989-95. 2012
..In summary, 21% to 26% of adults and children with chronic ITP treated with standard-dose rituximab maintained a treatment-free response for at least 5 years without major toxicity. These results can inform clinical decision-making...
- The pathogenesis of immune thrombocytopaenic purpura
Department of Pediatrics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Br J Haematol 133:364-74. 2006
..Identifying the underlying disease process should help us to identify more targeted therapies and improve not only the treatment but also the quality of life of patients with this disorder...
- Eltrombopag--a novel approach for the treatment of chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: review and safety considerations
Department of Haematology, Imperial Health Care NHS Trust, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Drug Des Devel Ther 4:139-45. 2010
..This article summarizes the development of this new class of drug and evaluates the safety and efficacy of eltrombopag in patients with ITP...
- Mycophenolate mofetil therapy for severe immune thrombocytopenia
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Br J Haematol 171:625-30. 2015
..Three of four previously splenectomized patients responded, two achieving complete response. We conclude that MMF is a useful steroid-sparing immunosuppressant to be considered in the second-line or later treatment of ITP. ..
- Intravenous immunoglobulin and anti-RhD therapy in the management of immune thrombocytopenia
Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial Health Care NHS Trust, Du Cane Road, London W12 OHS, UK
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 23:1317-27. 2009
..Infusion reactions are common but adverse events rare. Although responses are similar, human and murine data suggest that the mechanisms of action of these treatments are complex and likely different...
- Does Helicobater pylori initiate or perpetuate immune thrombocytopenic purpura?
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
Blood 103:890-6. 2004
- Response to B-cell depleting therapy with rituximab reverts the abnormalities of T-cell subsets in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
Department of Medical Sciences, Ospedale Regina Apostolorum, Albano Laziale, Italy
Blood 110:2924-30. 2007
..Our findings indicate that in patients with ITP, response to B-cell depletion induced by rituximab is associated with significant changes of the T-cell compartment...
- Analysis of regulatory T-cell changes in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura receiving B cell-depleting therapy with rituximab
Department of Medical Sciences, Ospedale Regina Apostolorum, Albano Laziale, Rome, Italy
Blood 112:1147-50. 2008
..These results indicate that patients with active ITP have a defective T regulatory cell compartment that can be modulated by a B cell-targeted therapy...