Affiliation: Tuberculosis and Chest Service
- Laboratory containment of SARS virusWilina Lim
Virology Division, Public Health Labortory Services Branch, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Hong Kong
Ann Acad Med Singapore 35:354-60. 2006..Audits of these laboratories in 2004 showed that laboratory safety and containment requirements as recommended were generally met...
- A novel coronavirus associated with severe acute respiratory syndromeThomas G Ksiazek
Special Pathogens Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1953-66. 2003..We conducted studies to identify the etiologic agent of this outbreak...
- Newly discovered coronavirus as the primary cause of severe acute respiratory syndromeThijs Kuiken
Department of Virology, Erasmus Medical Centre, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 362:263-70. 2003..We did clinical and experimental studies to assess the role of this virus in the cause of SARS...
- Lack of evidence for human-to-human transmission of avian influenza A (H9N2) viruses in Hong Kong, China 1999Timothy M Uyeki
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:154-9. 2002..No serologic evidence of H9N2 infection was found in family members or health-care workers who had close contact with the H9N2-infected children, suggesting that these H9N2 viruses were not easily transmitted from person to person...
- Characterization of a human H5N1 influenza A virus isolated in 2003Kyoko Shinya
Department of Virology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Virol 79:9926-32. 2005..This case challenges the view that adaptation to land-based poultry is a prerequisite for the replication of aquatic avian influenza A viruses in humans...
- First external quality assurance of antibody diagnostic for SARS-new coronavirusMatthias Niedrig
Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Virol 34:22-5. 2005..The overall results clearly demonstrate that serological diagnosis of SARS-CoV remains at an early stage of development, with further technical improvements required, particularly with respect to the use of SARS specific EIAs...
- Avian influenza (H5N1) viruses isolated from humans in Asia in 2004 exhibit increased virulence in mammalsTaronna R Maines
Influenza Branch, Mail Stop G 16, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, N E, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Virol 79:11788-800. 2005..However, the apparent enhancement of virulence of these viruses in humans in 2004 was better reflected in the ferret...
- Automated extraction protocol for quantification of SARS-coronavirus RNA in serum: an evaluation studyRossa W K Chiu
Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong
BMC Infect Dis 6:20. 2006..In this study, we evaluated the feasibility of automating the serum RNA extraction procedure in order to increase the throughput of the assay...
- The interferon gamma gene polymorphism +874 A/T is associated with severe acute respiratory syndromeWai Po Chong
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The Hong Kong Jockey Club Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
BMC Infect Dis 6:82. 2006..Cytokines play important roles in antiviral action. We examined whether polymorphisms of IFN-gamma,TNF-alpha and IL-10 affect the susceptibility to and outcome of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)...
- Three Indonesian clusters of H5N1 virus infection in 2005I Nyoman Kandun
Directorate General of Disease Control and Environmental Health, Ministry of Health, Jakarta, Indonesia
N Engl J Med 355:2186-94. 2006..Since 2003, the widespread ongoing epizootic of avian influenza A (H5N1) among poultry and birds has resulted in human H5N1 cases in 10 countries. The first case of H5N1 virus infection in Indonesia was identified in July 2005...
- The association of RANTES polymorphism with severe acute respiratory syndrome in Hong Kong and Beijing ChineseMan Wai Ng
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The Hong Kong Jockey Club Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
BMC Infect Dis 7:50. 2007..Chemokines play important roles in inflammation and antiviral action. We examined whether polymorphisms of RANTES, IP-10 and Mig affect the susceptibility to and outcome of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)...
- Mannose-binding lectin in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus infectionW K Eddie Ip
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, China
J Infect Dis 191:1697-704. 2005..These results suggest that MBL contributes to the first-line host defense against SARS-CoV and that MBL deficiency is a susceptibility factor for acquisition of SARS...
- SARS molecular detection external quality assuranceChristian Drosten
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 10:2200-3. 2004..Of 58 participants, 51 correctly detected virus in all samples > or =9,400 RNA copies per milliliter and none in negative samples. Commercial test kits significantly improved the outcome...
- Laboratory diagnosis of four recent sporadic cases of community-acquired SARS, Guangdong Province, ChinaGuodong Liang
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1774-81. 2004..This study shows the effectiveness of a collaborative, multilaboratory response to diagnose SARS...
- Aetiology: Koch's postulates fulfilled for SARS virusRon A M Fouchier
Department of Virology, Erasmus Medical Centre, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nature 423:240. 2003
- Lung pathology of fatal severe acute respiratory syndromeJohn M Nicholls
Department of Pathology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Lancet 361:1773-8. 2003..Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a novel infectious disease with global impact. A virus from the family Coronaviridae has been identified as the cause, but the pathogenesis is still unclear...
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome: Relapse? Hospital infection?Owen Tak Yin Tsang
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1180-1. 2003
- Virology: SARS virus infection of cats and ferretsByron E E Martina
Institute of Virology, Erasmus Medical Centre, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nature 425:915. 2003
- Coronavirus-positive nasopharyngeal aspirate as predictor for severe acute respiratory syndrome mortalityOwen Tak Yin Tsang
Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1381-7. 2003..By multivariate analysis, positive RT-PCR on nasopharyngeal aspirate samples was an independent predictor of death within 30 days...
- Prevalence of subclinical infection by the SARS coronavirus among general practitioners in Hong KongWai Cho Yu
Department of Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Scand J Infect Dis 36:287-90. 2004..The prevalence for seropositivity was thus 0% (95% CI, 0.0%-0.6%). This finding documents the lack of subclinical infection by SARS coronavirus in an at-risk group in the community...
- Natural course of severe acute respiratory syndrome-associated coronavirus immunoglobulin after infectionEugene Y K Tso
J Infect Dis 190:1706-7; author reply 1707. 2004
- SARS-CoV antibody prevalence in all Hong Kong patient contactsGabriel M Leung
University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1653-6. 2004..19%) were positive for SARS coronavirus immunoglobulin G antibody. SARS rarely manifests as a subclinical infection, and at present, wild animal species are the only important natural reservoirs of the virus...
- Emergence of new norovirus variants on spring cruise ships and prediction of winter epidemicsLinda Verhoef
Center for Infectious Disease Control, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 14:238-43. 2008..Internationally accepted guidelines are needed for reporting, investigating, and controlling norovirus illness on cruise ships in Europe...