Genomes and Genes
Jennifer Man Fan Wan
Affiliation: The University of Hong Kong
- Protection of lethal toxicity of endotoxin by Salvia miltiorrhiza BUNGE is via reduction in tumor necrosis factor alpha release and liver injuryJennifer Man Fan Wan
Food and Nutritional Science Division, Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Int Immunopharmacol 6:750-8. 2006..The present study explains some known biological activities of SM, and supports the clinical application of SM in the prevention of inflammatory diseases induced by Gram-negative bacteria...
- Polysaccharopeptide enhances the anticancer activity of doxorubicin and etoposide on human breast cancer cells ZR-75-30Jennifer Man Fan Wan
Food and Nutritional Science Division, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, PR China
Int J Oncol 32:689-99. 2008..This study provides further insight into the synergistic mechanisms of PSP and supports the hypothesis that the anticancer potentials of PSP is not limited to leukemia but may also be used as an adjuvant therapy for breast cancers...
- Polysaccharopeptides derived from Coriolus versicolor potentiate the S-phase specific cytotoxicity of Camptothecin (CPT) on human leukemia HL-60 cellsJennifer Man Fan Wan
Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences Division, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Chin Med 5:16. 2010..The present study aims to investigate whether PSP pre-treatment can increase the response of the human leukemia HL-60 cells to apoptosis induction by Camptothecin (CPT)...
- Induction of S phase cell arrest and caspase activation by polysaccharide peptide isolated from Coriolus versicolor enhanced the cell cycle dependent activity and apoptotic cell death of doxorubicin and etoposide, but not cytarabine in HL-60 cellsKenrie Pui Yan Hui
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR, P R China
Oncol Rep 14:145-55. 2005..Our data support the potential development of PSP as an adjuvant for leukemia treatment, but also imply the importance of understanding its interaction with individual anticancer agents...
- Identification of liver proteins and their roles associated with carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicityLeo Lap Yan Wong
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
Hum Exp Toxicol 30:1369-81. 2011..In this rat model, we profiled hepatic proteome alterations in response to CCl(4) intoxication. The findings should facilitate understanding of the mechanism of CCl(4)-induced liver injury...
- Proteome of human T lymphocytes with treatment of cyclosporine and polysaccharopeptide: analysis of significant proteins that manipulate T cells proliferation and immunosuppressionCheuk Lun Lee
School of Biological Science, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int Immunopharmacol 7:1311-24. 2007..Most of these altered proteins have functional significance in protein degradation, the antioxidant pathway, energy metabolism and immune cell regulation...
- Serial changes in urinary proteome profile of membranous nephropathy: implications for pathophysiology and biomarker discoveryHeidi Hoi Yee Ngai
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, P R China
J Proteome Res 5:3038-47. 2006..These data underscore the significant impact of urinary proteomics in unraveling disease pathophysiology and biomarker discovery...
- Regulatory properties of polysaccharopeptide derived from Coriolus versicolor and its combined effect with ciclosporin on the homeostasis of human lymphocytesCheuk Lun Lee
School of Biological Sciences, Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR
J Pharm Pharmacol 62:1028-36. 2010..This was done by investigating the mechanistic actions of PSP in relation to ciclosporin by performing cell cycle and cell death analysis of human lymphocytes in vitro...
- The cell death process of the anticancer agent polysaccharide-peptide (PSP) in human promyelocytic leukemic HL-60 cellsXiaotong Yang
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfalum Road, Hong Kong, SAR, P R China
Oncol Rep 13:1201-10. 2005....
- Premature delivery reduces intestinal cytoskeleton, metabolism, and stress response proteins in newborn formula-fed pigsPingping Jiang
School of Biological Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:615-22. 2013....
- Use of two-dimensional gel electrophoresis to differentiate morphospecies of Alexandrium minutum, a paralytic shellfish poisoning toxin-producing dinoflagellate of harmful algal bloomsLeo Lai Chan
Department of Ecology and Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Proteomics 5:1580-93. 2005..minutum. Initial studies revealed that the expression pattern of T1 was tightly correlated to toxin biosynthesis in the examined alga and may be used to serve as a potential toxin indicator...
- Intestinal proteome changes during infant necrotizing enterocolitisPingping Jiang
School of Biological Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Pediatr Res 73:268-76. 2013..Changes in the intestinal and colonic proteome in patients with necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) may help to characterize the disease pathology and identify new biomarkers and treatment targets for NEC...
- Bacterial colonization affects the intestinal proteome of preterm pigs susceptible to necrotizing enterocolitisPingping Jiang
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Neonatology 99:280-8. 2011..We hypothesized that the initial bacterial colonization of the gut affects the intestinal proteome independently of enteral feeding...
- Antibiotics increase gut metabolism and antioxidant proteins and decrease acute phase response and necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm neonatesPingping Jiang
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e44929. 2012..We hypothesized that broad-spectrum antibiotics, given immediately after preterm birth, would reduce NEC sensitivity and support intestinal protective mechanisms...
- The cell cycle effects of docosahexaenoic acid on human metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma proliferationCarol Yee Ki Lee
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, P R China
Int J Oncol 36:991-8. 2010..This study provides novel mechanistic insights into the modulation of DHA on human hepatocarcinoma...
- Enteral feeding in utero induces marked intestinal structural and functional proteome changes in pig fetusesPingping Jiang
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Pediatr Res 69:123-8. 2011..Hence, immediate postnatal feeding-induced gut changes are largely independent of factors related to the birth transition...
- Molecular characterization of Coriolus versicolor PSP-induced apoptosis in human promyelotic leukemic HL-60 cells using cDNA microarrayFanya Zeng
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, P R China
Int J Oncol 27:513-23. 2005..The present study provides new insight into the molecular mechanisms involved in PSP-induced apoptosis in leukemic HL-60 cells analyzed by cDNA microarray...
- Immunoregulatory and antioxidant performance of alpha-tocopherol and selenium on human lymphocytesChung Yung Jetty Lee
Department of Zoology, University of Hong Kong, SAR, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 86:123-36. 2002..This suggests that micronutrient status is an important factor in considering when interpreting the results of in vitro assays of lymphocyte function...
- Individual and combined effects of Fusarium toxins on the mRNA expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines in swine jejunal epithelial cellsLam Yim Murphy Wan
School of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Toxicol Lett 220:238-46. 2013..These also provide a better understanding of the possible effects of Fusarium toxins, alone or in combinations on the immunological defense mechanisms of IECs, which would contribute to the risk assessment of these toxins. ..
- Markedly increased urinary preprohaptoglobin and haptoglobin in passive Heymann nephritis: a differential proteomics approachHeidi Hoi Yee Ngai
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, People s Republic of China
J Proteome Res 6:3313-20. 2007..Our findings may lead to a significant advance in the attempt to define a new therapeutic target and/or novel biomarker for human MN...
- Proteomic study of a model causative agent of harmful algal blooms, Prorocentrum triestinum II: the use of differentially expressed protein profiles under different growth phases and growth conditions for bloom predictionLeo Lai Chan
Department of Ecology and Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, PR China
Proteomics 4:3214-26. 2004....
- Polysaccharopeptide mimics ciclosporin-mediated Th1/Th2 cytokine balance for suppression of activated human T cell proliferation by MAPKp38 and STAT5 pathwaysCheuk Lun Lee
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 60:1491-9. 2008..These findings refine our understanding of the effects of PSP on T lymphocytes and its adjuvant properties with the immunosuppressant ciclosporin for possible control of autoimmune diseases...
- Protective effect of Phellinus linteus polysaccharide extracts against thioacetamide-induced liver fibrosis in rats: a proteomics analysisHualin Wang
Food and Nutrition Division, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Chin Med 7:23. 2012..abstract:..
- The small intestine proteome is changed in preterm pigs developing necrotizing enterocolitis in response to formula feedingPingping Jiang
Division of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong S A R, P R China
J Nutr 138:1895-901. 2008..The data provided novel mechanistic insights into the pathogenesis of NEC and the insults of a formulated diet to the premature gut...
- Differential protective effects of extra virgin olive oil and corn oil in liver injury: a proteomic studyHualin Wang
School of Biology and Pharmaceutical Engineering, Wuhan Polytechnic University, Wuhan, Hubei, China Food and Nutrition Division, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Food Chem Toxicol 74:131-8. 2014..Our findings confirmed the benefits of EVOO against chronic liver injury, which may be attributable to the antioxidant effects, hepatocellular function regulation and hepatic metabolism modification effects of EVOO. ..
- Identification and characterization of a "biomarker of toxicity" from the proteome of the paralytic shellfish toxin-producing dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense (Dinophyceae)Leo Lai Chan
TEDA School of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Nankai University, Tianjin, PR China
Proteomics 6:654-66. 2006..Potentially, immunoassays could be developed to detect the presence of toxic algae in routine monitoring programs as well as to predict bloom development and movement...