Michael R Phillips
Affiliation: Peking University
- Suicide rates in China, 1995-99Michael R Phillips
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing 100096, People s Republic of China
Lancet 359:835-40. 2002..We aimed to present an accurate picture of the current pattern of suicide in China on the basis of conservative estimates of suicide rates in different population cohorts...
- [Suicide in China: current status and suggestions for future work]Michael R Phillips
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25:277-9. 2004
- Understanding the unique characteristics of suicide in China: national psychological autopsy studyGong Huan Yang
Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing, China
Biomed Environ Sci 18:379-89. 2005..To compare the characteristics of suicides in the four main demographic groups: urban males, urban females, rural males and rural females in order to help clarify the demographic pattern of suicides in China...
- Prevalence and rates of recognition of depressive disorders in internal medicine outpatient departments of 23 general hospitals in Shenyang, ChinaXiaoxia Qin
Department of Psychiatry, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, PR China
J Affect Disord 110:46-54. 2008..We aim to assess the prevalence, risk factors and rates of recognition of depressive disorders in internal medicine outpatient departments of general hospitals...
- Risk factors for suicide in China: a national case-control psychological autopsy studyMichael R Phillips
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, 100096, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Lancet 360:1728-36. 2002..Suicide is the fifth most important cause of death in China, but the reasons for the high rate and unique pattern of characteristics of those who kill themselves are unknown...
- Suicide and the unique prevalence pattern of schizophrenia in mainland China: a retrospective observational studyMichael R Phillips
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Centre, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Lancet 364:1062-8. 2004..We present prevalence data for schizophrenia and estimate relative and attributable risk of suicide in people with schizophrenia in mainland China...
- Employment outcome for people with schizophrenia in rural v. urban China: population-based studyLawrence H Yang
Lawrence H Yang, PhD, Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, USA Michael R Phillips, MD, MPH, MA, Shanghai Mental Health Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China, Departments of Psychiatry and Global Health, Emory University, Atlanta, USA, and WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China Xianyun Li, BMed, MMed, WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China Gary Yu, MPH, Department of Biostatistics, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, USA Jingxuan Zhang, BMed, Shandong Provincial Mental Health Center, Jinan City, Shandong Province, China Qichang Shi, BMed, Tong De Hospital of Zhejiang Province, Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 203:272-9. 2013..urban settings. For individuals with schizophrenia, employment is widely recognised as a critical ingredient of social integration...
- Prevalence, treatment, and associated disability of mental disorders in four provinces in China during 2001-05: an epidemiological surveyMichael R Phillips
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Lancet 373:2041-53. 2009..We therefore estimated these variables from a series of epidemiological studies that were done in four provinces in China...
- Cohort-specific risk of suicide for different mental disorders in ChinaYongsheng Tong
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing 100096, China
Br J Psychiatry 196:467-73. 2010..The effect of gender, age, and urban versus rural residence on suicide risk among people with different mental disorders is unknown...
- The acceptability of suicide among rural residents, urban residents, and college students from three locations in China: a cross-sectional surveyXianyun Li
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Crisis 31:183-93. 2010..Community attitudes about suicide and their relationship to suicidal behavior have not been adequately investigated in low- and middle-income countries...
- Case-control study in China of risk factors for suicide in men with alcohol use disordersYali Zhang
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Huilongguan Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, China
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 73:15-20. 2012..This secondary analysis of China's National Psychological Autopsy Study assesses the risk factors for suicide among men with alcohol use disorders (AUDs)--the second most common psychiatric diagnosis among suicide decedents in China...
- Alcohol use disorders and acute alcohol use preceding suicide in ChinaYali Zhang
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing 100096, China
Addict Behav 35:152-6. 2010..Identify distinguishing characteristics of subgroups of suicides classified according to different patterns of alcohol use prior to death...
- Suicidal Behavior in Relatives or Associates Moderates the Strength of Common Risk Factors for SuicideYongsheng Tong
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Suicide Life Threat Behav 45:505-17. 2015....
- Indepth interviews with 244 female suicide attempters and their associates in northern China: understanding the process and causes of the attemptXianyun Li
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Crisis 33:66-72. 2012..Efforts aimed at addressing female suicide must be based on understanding their perceived causes and the meaning of this behavior...
- Understanding self-harm in victims of intimate partner violence: a qualitative analysis of calls made by victims to a crisis hotline in ChinaSusan P Y Wong
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Violence Against Women 17:532-44. 2011..We also elaborate on callers' discussions of barriers to accessing support, sociocultural pressures to preserve "face" and family, and restrictive gender roles that contribute to their self-harm behaviors...
- [Current attitudes and knowledge about suicide in community members: a qualitative study]Xian yun Li
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing 100096, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25:296-301. 2004..Understand the public's current attitudes and knowledge about suicide and, thus, provide essential information to the development of targeted public education programs-important components of the suicide prevention effort...
- Predictors of low-intent and high-intent suicide attempts in rural ChinaKenneth R Conner
Department of Psychiatry and Center for the Study and Prevention of Suicide, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1842-6. 2007..Acts of suicide are heterogeneous with respect to level of intent. Data on correlates of intent are overwhelmingly from Western samples. We sought to identify correlates of low-intent and high-intent suicide attempts in China...
- [Analysis of negative life events among 304 elderly suicide victims]Mai Geng Zhou
National Center for Chronic and Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Control, Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25:292-5. 2004..To identify the most common life events that occurred prior to suicide in elderly individuals and the relationship of these life events to depressive symptoms...
- The global distribution of fatal pesticide self-poisoning: systematic reviewDavid Gunnell
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
BMC Public Health 7:357. 2007..Evidence is accumulating that pesticide self-poisoning is one of the most commonly used methods of suicide worldwide, but the magnitude of the problem and the global distribution of these deaths is unknown...
- Self poisoning with pesticidesMichael Eddleston
Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford
BMJ 328:42-4. 2004
- No health without mental healthMartin Prince
King s College London, Centre for Public Mental Health, Health Service and Population Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Lancet 370:859-77. 2007..Mental health awareness needs to be integrated into all aspects of health and social policy, health-system planning, and delivery of primary and secondary general health care...
- Causal attributions about schizophrenia in families in China: expressed emotion and patient relapseLawrence H Yang
Psychiatric Epidemiology Training Program, Columbia University, 722 West 168th Street MSPH Box 43, 7th Floor Room 720 F, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 113:592-602. 2004..EE mediated the effect of controllable, but not personal, attributions on relapse. Relatives' use of a particular Chinese characteristic (narrow-mindedness) was integral to the personal dimension's protective effect...
- Attempted suicide among young rural women in the People's Republic of China: possibilities for preventionVeronica Pearson
Department of Social Work and Social Administration, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Suicide Life Threat Behav 32:359-69. 2002..Detailed suggestions are made about ways to implement suicide prevention strategies within the particular social and economic context of China...
- Stigma and expressed emotion: a study of people with schizophrenia and their family members in ChinaMichael R Phillips
Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, China
Br J Psychiatry 181:488-93. 2002..The most damaging effect of stigma is the internalisation of others' negative valuations...
- Low-planned suicides in ChinaKenneth R Conner
University of Rochester UR Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Psychol Med 35:1197-204. 2005..The association of planning and method in completed suicide was also assessed...