- New insights into wear and biological effects of metal-on-metal bearings
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ottawa, 161 Louis Pasteur, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:76-83. 2011
..Despite the renewed interest in metal-on-metal implants in the past two decades, the underlying wear mechanisms and biological effects are still not fully understood...
- Controlled release of bioactive transforming growth factor beta-1 from fibrin gels in vitro
Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Bioscience, BioSurgery R and D, Round Lake, Illinois 60073, USA
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 14:119-28. 2008
..Overall, the present study demonstrated that fibrin gels could be used as a carrier matrix for controlled release of bioactive TGF-beta1 by adjusting the concentrations of FC and thrombin in the gels...
- Biologic activity of wear particles
Department of Surgery, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Instr Course Lect 59:3-16. 2010
- Polyethylene and metal wear particles: characteristics and biological effects
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Departments of Surgery and Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Semin Immunopathol 33:257-71. 2011
..Finally, some of the current in vivo models used for the analysis of tissue response to various wear particles are presented...
- Do patients with a failed metal-on-metal hip implant with a pseudotumor present differences in their peripheral blood lymphocyte subpopulations?
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 473:3903-14. 2015
..Because the causes and pathomechanisms of these pseudotumors remain largely unknown, clinical monitoring of patients with MoM bearings is challenging...
- Effects of cobalt and chromium ions on lymphocyte migration
Stephen J Baskey
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ottawa, 161 Louis Pasteur, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1N 6N5
J Orthop Res . 2016
..2016 Orthopaedic Research Society. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Orthop Res...
- Do revised hip resurfacing arthroplasties lead to outcomes comparable to those of primary and revised total hip arthroplasties?
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Road, Room W1646, Box 502, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:3134-41. 2012
..HR femoral component revision reportedly yields postoperative function comparable to that of primary THA. However, few studies have looked at the outcome of both HR femoral and acetabular side revisions...
- Effects of hip implant modular neck material and assembly method on fatigue life and distraction force
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
J Orthop Res . 2016
..Finally, improper implant assembly during surgery may result in diminished modular neck survivability and increased failure rates. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved...
- In vitro macrophage response to nanometer-size chromium oxide particles
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5, Canada
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 102:149-59. 2014
..Therefore, these particles may not be the main culprit in the initiation of the inflammatory reaction in MM periprosthetic tissues. However, other parameters (e.g., potential intracellular damage) remain to be investigated...