- Cultural competence reexamined: critique and directions for the future
Elizabeth A Carpenter-Song
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 641 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Psychiatr Serv 58:1362-5. 2007
..The essay concludes with suggestions for future directions in cultural competence research and implementation...
- Caught in the psychiatric net: meanings and experiences of ADHD, pediatric bipolar disorder and mental health treatment among a diverse group of families in the United States
Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 33:61-85. 2009
..Families' experiences are positioned to reveal the allure, as well as the limitations, of biopsychiatric approaches to behavioral and emotional problems...
- A qualitative study of social facilitators and barriers to health behavior change among persons with serious mental illness
Dartmouth Center for Aging Research, 46 Centerra Parkway, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Community Ment Health J 49:207-12. 2013
- Behind the scenes of a research and training collaboration: power, privilege, and the hidden transcript of race
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 37:288-306. 2013
..Central to this aim is a consideration of how issues of power, privilege, and the hidden transcript of race shape the nature of our research and training efforts...
- Reducing disparities in mental health care: suggestions from the Dartmouth-Howard collaboration
Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, 2 Whipple Place, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Community Ment Health J 47:1-13. 2011
- "Right here is an oasis": how "recovery communities" contribute to recovery for people with serious mental illnesses
Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 35:435-40. 2012
..We label these configurations "recovery communities" (RCs). The authors aim to identify features of the contextual environment of RCs that contribute to recovery from the perspective of RC residents...
- Consumer perspectives on involving family and significant others in a healthy lifestyle intervention
Dartmouth Center for Aging Research, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH, USA
Health Soc Work 37:207-15. 2012
..Programs aimed at helping people with SMI make lifestyle changes may increase their effectiveness by involving significant others. Mobilizing social support networks for health behavior change is an ideal role for social workers...
- Ethno-cultural variations in the experience and meaning of mental illness and treatment: implications for access and utilization
Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center and Dartmouth College, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Transcult Psychiatry 47:224-51. 2010
- Ethnocultural variations in mental illness discourse: some implications for building therapeutic alliances
Hoyt S Alverson
Department of Anthropology, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Psychiatr Serv 58:1541-6. 2007
..The purpose of this ethnography was to elucidate ethnocultural aspects of illness accounts and interactions with the mental health system...