Valerie H Taylor
Affiliation: Women's College Hospital
- Are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors a secondary cause of low bone density?Kim Chau
Department of Paediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4L8
J Osteoporos 2012:323061. 2012..Treatment algorithms need to recognize this association to ensure that vulnerable populations are screened...
- Evidence review and clinical guidance for the use of ziprasidone in CanadaDavid M Gardner
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Ann Gen Psychiatry 12:1. 2013..Key challenges in practice include the need for dosing on a full stomach and managing its early onset adverse effect of restlessness. Addressing these issues are critical to its long-term success...
- The impact of obesity on quality of lifeValerie H Taylor
Dept of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 27:139-46. 2013..Recognizing this association is essential for the proper management of both conditions. The following review addresses this issue and provides clinical pearls to help deal with this issue...
- An overview of treatments for obesity in a population with mental illnessValerie H Taylor
Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 57:13-20. 2012....
- Beyond pharmacotherapy: understanding the links between obesity and chronic mental illnessValerie H Taylor
Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 57:5-12. 2012..Our review examines issues associated with common chronic mental illnesses that may underlie this association and warrant further study if we hope to clinically intervene to control this life-threatening comorbidity...
- The association between childhood adversity and components of metabolic syndrome in adults with mood disorders: results from the international mood disorders collaborative projectRoger S McIntyre
University of Toronto, Canada University Health Network, Canada
Int J Psychiatry Med 43:165-77. 2012....
- The Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) task force recommendations for the management of patients with mood disorders and comorbid metabolic disordersRoger S McIntyre
Mood Disorders Psychopharmacology Unit, University Health Network, Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Clin Psychiatry 24:69-81. 2012..Our group conducted a comprehensive literature review to provide evidence-based recommendations for treating metabolic comorbidity in individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD) and bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Fertility rate trends among adolescent girls with major mental illness: a population-based studySimone N Vigod
Women s College Hospital and Women s College Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 133:e585-91. 2014..We examined temporal trends in fertility rates among adolescent girls with major mental illness...
- Bipolar disorder and metabolic syndrome: an international perspectiveRoger S McIntyre
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Affect Disord 126:366-87. 2010....
- Managing medical and psychiatric comorbidity in individuals with major depressive disorder and bipolar disorderRoger S McIntyre
Mood Disorders Psychopharmacology Unit, University Health Network, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Clin Psychiatry 24:163-9. 2012..Treating comorbid conditions in patients with mood disorders requires sufficient decision support to inform appropriate treatment...
- Within-hospital readmission: an indicator of readmission after discharge from psychiatric hospitalizationSimone N Vigod
Staff Psychiatrist, Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 58:476-81. 2013..We aimed to assess how well hospital readmission rates, calculated using only readmissions to the discharging institution, can approximate actual readmission rates...
- Depression in the workforce: the intermediary effect of medical comorbidityRoger S McIntyre
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
J Affect Disord 128:S29-36. 2011..g., obesity, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease). Emerging evidence indicates that the workforce dysfunction associated with depression is partially mediated by medical comorbidity...
- Effect of obesity on cognition in adults with and without a mood disorder: study design and methodsMaria R Restivo
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMJ Open 6:e009347. 2016..This study examines the impact of obesity on cognition by comparing neuropsychological performance in obese individuals, with or without a mood disorder before and after undergoing bariatric surgery...
- Antenatal exposure to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluoxetine leads to postnatal metabolic and endocrine changes associated with type 2 diabetes in Wistar ratsNicole E De Long
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 285:32-40. 2015..While obesity is often associated with fatty liver, dyslipidemia and inflammation, to date, the effects of perinatal exposure to SSRIs on these outcomes are unknown...
- READMIT: a clinical risk index to predict 30-day readmission after discharge from acute psychiatric unitsSimone N Vigod
Women s College Hospital, 76 Grenville Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Women s College Research Institute, 790 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada University of Toronto, 27 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
J Psychiatr Res 61:205-13. 2015....
- Effect of atypical antipsychotics on fetal growth: is the placenta involved?Sandeep Raha
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Room 3N11, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
J Pregnancy 2012:315203. 2012..This paper focuses on some possible pathways which may link atypical antipsychotics to placental dysfunction...
- Cerebellar vermis volume in major depressive disorderKaan Yucel
Mood Disorders Program, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, Hamilton, Canada
Brain Struct Funct 218:851-8. 2013....
- Biomarkers in bipolar disorder: a positional paper from the International Society for Bipolar Disorders Biomarkers Task ForceBenicio N Frey
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 47:321-32. 2013....
- An Overview of Links Between Obesity and Mental HealthChristian Avila
McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, HSC 3N52A, Hamilton, ON, L8S 4K1, Canada
Curr Obes Rep 4:303-10. 2015..This review examines this overlap, highlighting clinical and biological factors that have been linked to this association in order to improve our understanding and help elucidate potential therapeutic avenues. ..
- Transitional interventions to reduce early psychiatric readmissions in adults: systematic reviewSimone N Vigod
Women s College Hospital and Women s College Research Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 76 Grenville Street Rm 956, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1B2
Br J Psychiatry 202:187-94. 2013..Up to 13% of psychiatric patients are readmitted shortly after discharge. Interventions that ensure successful transitions to community care may play a key role in preventing early readmission...
- A patient decision aid for antidepressant use in pregnancy: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialSimone Vigod
Women s College Hospital and Research Institute, 76 Grenville Street, Toronto, ON, M5S 1B2, Canada
Trials 17:110. 2016..We describe the methods for a pilot randomized controlled trial of an interactive web-based PDA for women who are having difficulty deciding about antidepressant drug use in pregnancy...
- Association of depression & health related quality of life with body composition in children and youth with obesityKatherine M Morrison
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5 Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, Canada Electronic address
J Affect Disord 172:18-23. 2015..Our objective was to explore the individual, biological and family determinants of depressive symptoms and HRQOL in youth with obesity in a clinical setting...
- Major depressive disorder and diabetes: does serotonin bridge the gap?Nicole E De Long
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, RM HSC 3N52, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1
Curr Diabetes Rev 11:71-8. 2015....
- Antipsychotic drug use in pregnancy: high dimensional, propensity matched, population based cohort studySimone N Vigod
Women s College Research Institute Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1B2, Canada Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5 Department of Psychiatry, Women s College Hospital University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
BMJ 350:h2298. 2015..To evaluate maternal medical and perinatal outcomes associated with antipsychotic drug use in pregnancy...
- The experience of participation in everyday occupations for adults with obesityMary A Forhan
McMaster University, School of Rehabilitation Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, 1400 Main Street West IAHS 402, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 1C7
Can J Occup Ther 77:210-8. 2010..Obesity has been shown to influence health-related quality of life, but it is unclear how obesity influences participation in specific occupations...
- Metabolic syndrome and major depressive disorder: co-occurrence and pathophysiologic overlapRoger S McIntyre
Mood Disorders Psychopharmacology Unit, University Health Network, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Curr Diab Rep 9:51-9. 2009..This article discusses the rate of co-occurrence and the points of pathophysiologic commonality between the metabolic syndrome and major depressive disorder...
- Health status, hospitalizations, day procedures, and physician costs associated with body mass index (BMI) levels in Ontario, CanadaJean Eric Tarride
Programs for Assessment of Technology in Health PATH Research Institute, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clinicoecon Outcomes Res 4:21-30. 2012..Obesity is today's principal neglected public health problem, as a rising proportion of adults will succumb to the medical complications of obesity. However, little is known about the burden of obesity in adults living in Ontario...
- Anterior cingulate volumes in never-treated patients with major depressive disorderKaan Yucel
Mood Disorders Program, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton and Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:3157-63. 2008..These findings confirm the presence of ACC volume reductions in untreated patients with MDD and suggest that illness burden and short-term medication exposure mediate this change...