Robert J Williams
Affiliation: University of Lethbridge
- Gambling and Problem Gambling among Canadian Urban AboriginalsRobert J Williams
University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta
Can J Psychiatry 61:724-731. 2016..To assess the prevalence of gambling and problem gambling in urban Aboriginals in the Canadian Prairie provinces and to determine the predictors of problem gambling...
- The prevalence and nature of gambling and problem gambling in South KoreaRobert J Williams
Alberta Gambling Research Institute and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, T1K 3M4, Canada
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 48:821-34. 2013..To establish the current prevalence of gambling and problem gambling in South Korea and to determine the associated demographic and game play patterns...
- Parental awareness of adolescent substance useRobert J Williams
University of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada T1K 3M4
Addict Behav 28:803-9. 2003..Better school grades predicted greater awareness of alcohol and illicit drug use. Single parents and blended families were more aware of tobacco and illicit drug use...
- Stacked Deck: an effective, school-based program for the prevention of problem gamblingRobert J Williams
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, TIJ 3X1, Canada
J Prim Prev 31:109-25. 2010..There was no change in involvement in high risk activities or money lost gambling. These results indicate that Stacked Deck is a promising curriculum for the prevention of problem gambling...
- Does learning about the mathematics of gambling change gambling behavior?Robert J Williams
School of Health Sciences, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Psychol Addict Behav 20:62-8. 2006..The implication of this research is that enhanced mathematical knowledge on its own may be insufficient to change gambling behavior...
- Validity of adolescent self-report of substance useRobert J Williams
School of Health Sciences, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 5M9, Canada
Subst Use Misuse 40:299-311. 2005..The present study found self-report of substance use in adolescents to only have fair validity. It is recommended that biochemical corroboration be routinely used for this population...
- The association between childhood maltreatment and gambling problems in a community sample of adult men and womenDavid C Hodgins
Psychology Department, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Psychol Addict Behav 24:548-54. 2010..These results underscore the need for both increased prevention of childhood maltreatment and increased sensitivity towards trauma issues in gambling treatment programs for men and women...
- Examining the predictive validity of low-risk gambling limits with longitudinal dataShawn R Currie
University of Calgary, Canada
Addiction 107:400-6. 2012..2006) on future harm. To identify demographic, behavioural, clinical and environmental factors that predict the shift from low- to high-risk gambling habits over time...
- Comorbid Problem Gambling and Major Depression in a Community SampleLeanne Quigley
Department of Psychology, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4, Canada
J Gambl Stud 31:1135-52. 2015..These findings underscore the need to address comorbid depression in assessment and treatment of problem gambling and for continued research on how problem gambling is related to frequently co-occurring disorders such as depression...
- An examination of the relationship between gambling and antisocial behaviorSandeep Mishra
Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive West, Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4, Canada
J Gambl Stud 27:409-26. 2011..The results are consistent with the hypothesis that gambling and antisocial behavior are associated because they are, in part, different manifestations of similar personality traits...
- Designing a longitudinal cohort study of gambling in Alberta: rationale, methods, and challengesNady el-Guebaly
Addiction Division, Foothills Addictions Program, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, AB, Canada, T2N T29
J Gambl Stud 24:479-504. 2008..Finally, the conclusions that can be drawn thus far are discussed as well as the plans for three future data collections...
- Neuroleptic and benzodiazepine use in long-term care in urban and rural Alberta: characteristics and results of an education intervention to ensure appropriate useBrad F Hagen
School of Health Sciences, The University of Lethbridge, Canada
Int Psychogeriatr 17:631-52. 2005....
- Mood and audience effects on video lottery terminal gamblingSandeep Mishra
Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
J Gambl Stud 26:373-86. 2010..Degree of problem gambling in the last year had little influence on these effects. Some practical implications of these findings are discussed...
- Natural course of behavioral addictions: a 5-year longitudinal studyBarna Konkolÿ Thege
Department of Psychology, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 15:4. 2015....
- Antipsychotic drug use in Canadian long-term care facilities: prevalence, and patterns following resident relocationBrad Hagen
School of Health Sciences, The University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4, Canada
Int Psychogeriatr 17:179-93. 2005..During the one-year study, residents in one facility were relocated to a new facility, allowing examination of the changes in antipsychotic use associated with relocation...
- Promoting alcohol abstinence among pregnant women: potential social change strategiesSameer Deshpande
Faculty of Management, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Canada
Health Mark Q 23:45-67. 2005..Several potential applications of social marketing directed to drinking-during- pregnancy campaigns are suggested, and possible contributions to the overall effort are explained...
- Methylphenidate and dextroamphetamine abuse in substance-abusing adolescentsRobert J Williams
Addiction Counselling Program, School of Health Sciences, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4, Canada
Am J Addict 13:381-9. 2004..Physicians are advised to prescribe non-stimulant medications (eg, bupropion) when treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in substance-abusing individuals...
- Activity-dependent phosphorylation of Akt/PKB in adult DRG neuronsSophie Pezet
King s College London, Center for Age Related Diseases, Wolfson Wing, Guy s Campus, London Bridge, London SE1 1UL, UK
Eur J Neurosci 21:1785-97. 2005..Our results show that p-Akt Ser 473 is a marker of nociceptor activation and suggest a novel role for Akt in the transduction of intracellular signals in adult DRG neurons...
- The role of ethnicity and culture in body image and disordered eating among malesLina A Ricciardelli
School of Psychology, Deakin University, Burwood Highway, Burwood, 3215, Victoria, Australia
Clin Psychol Rev 27:582-606. 2007..These include body build, levels of acculturation, socio-economic status, media exposure, and internalization of the muscular and lean body ideal...
- Waiting time for breast cancer treatment in AlbertaAlyssa D Reed
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary AB
Can J Public Health 95:341-5. 2004..women with breast cancer relative to Canadian Society for Surgical Oncology (CSSO) recommendations? Second, does patient age, cancer stage, patient community size, and year of diagnosis have a significant relationship to waiting time?..
- Negative perceptions about self-control and identification with gender-role stereotypes related to binge eating, problem drinking, and to co-morbidity among adolescentsRobert J Williams
School of Social Sciences and Liberal Studies, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Australia
J Adolesc Health 32:66-72. 2003..To examine the role of both positive and negative styles of self-control, and gender-role stereotypes in binge eating and problem drinking...