Affiliation: University of Manitoba
- Toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics of iron poisoningM Tenenbein
Pediatrics, Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Toxicol Lett 102:653-6. 1998..Rational treatment of iron poisoning requires a thorough understanding of its toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics...
- Unit-dose packaging of iron supplements and reduction of iron poisoning in young childrenMilton Tenenbein
Department of Pediatrics, University of Manitoba Children s Hospital, Winnipeg
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:557-60. 2005..Iron poisoning is a major cause of unintentional poisoning death in young children. The US Food and Drug Administration proclaimed a regulation for unit-dose packaging of iron supplements in 1997...
- Hepatotoxicity in acute iron poisoningM Tenenbein
University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 39:721-6. 2001..From the clinical perspective, the relatively high mortality rate of iron poisoning-induced hepatotoxicity requires vigilance for its onset and earlier consideration of liver transplantation...
- The steroid odyssey in croupMilton Tenenbein
Department of Pediatrics, University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, 840 Sherbrook St, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 1S1, Canada
Pediatrics 116:230-1. 2005
- Do you really need that emergency drug screen?Milton Tenenbein
Children s Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 47:286-91. 2009..The purpose of ordering this test is to determine whether the patient's condition is due to a drug. The purpose of this review is to address the question - do you really need that emergency drug screen?..
- Recent advancements in pediatric toxicologyM Tenenbein
Department of Pediatrics, University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Canada
Pediatr Clin North Am 46:1179-88, vii. 1999..The controversy over the type of gastrointestinal decontamination is resolving and recent recommendations are reviewed. Also two new antidotes, fomepizole for toxic alcohols and octreotide for sulfonylureas, are reviewed...
- Acetaminophen: the 150 mg/kg mythMilton Tenenbein
University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:145-8. 2004
- Effect of anticholinergic drugs on the efficacy of activated charcoalRobert Green
Department of Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:267-72. 2004..The purpose of this study is to determine whether activated charcoal is more effective in the presence of concurrent anticholinergic activity...
- Oral dexamethasone for the treatment of pain in children with acute pharyngitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialBlake Bulloch
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 41:601-8. 2003..We compare oral dexamethasone with placebo for the relief of pain in children with acute pharyngitis...
- Acute pancreatitis due to erythromycin overdoseMarshall Stephen Tenenbein
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Canada
Pediatr Emerg Care 21:675-6. 2005..Antibiotic overdose is typically regarded as a benign event. We report a 15-year-old girl who developed pancreatitis after an overdose of erythromycin...
- Validation of 2 pain scales for use in the pediatric emergency departmentBlake Bulloch
Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Pediatrics 110:e33. 2002..To determine the construct, content, and convergent validity of 2 self-report pain scales for use in the untrained child in the emergency department (ED)...
- Validation of the Ottawa Knee Rule in children: a multicenter studyBlake Bulloch
Department of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 42:48-55. 2003..The secondary objective was to determine post hoc whether use of the rules would reduce the number of knee radiographs ordered...
- Management of childhood intussusception after reduction by enemaAndrea Wilkie Gilmore
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Emerg Med 29:1136-40. 2011..The objective of the study was to describe the utility of emergency department (ED)/outpatient management after enema reduction for childhood intussusception...
- Constipation: diagnosis and management in the pediatric emergency departmentBlake Bulloch
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, and the Division of Emergency Medicine, Winnipeg Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Pediatr Emerg Care 18:254-8. 2002
- Hepatotoxicity in acute iron poisoningA Robertson
Department of Pediatrics and Pharmacology, University of Manitoba, Children s Hospital, Winnipeg, Canada
Hum Exp Toxicol 24:559-62. 2005..Clinically important hepatotoxicity occurs with values in excess of 1000 microg/dL (182 micromol/L)...
- How long after drug ingestion is activated charcoal still effective?R Green
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 39:601-5. 2001..The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of activated charcoal administered 1, 2, and 3 hours after drug ingestion...
- Interaction between N-acetylcysteine and activated charcoal: implications for the treatment of acetaminophen poisoningP K Tenenbein
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 21:1331-6. 2001..001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of N-acetylcysteine reduces the ability of activated charcoal to adsorb acetaminophen and coingestants. In vivo data will be required to determine the clinical relevance of these interactions...
- Pediatric trauma registries: the foundation of quality careA S Condello
Winnipeg Children's Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 36:685-9. 2001..Further analysis of data in the registries may clarify these differences and serve as a foundation for hospitals to improve the quality of patient care...
- Effect of whole bowel irrigation on delayed-release acetaminophen and gut transit timeMilton Tenenbein
Ann Emerg Med 44:668-9. 2004
- Whole bowel irrigation and the capsule summaryMilton Tenenbein
Ann Emerg Med 44:666-7; author reply 667; discussion 667-8. 2004
- Iron poisoning in young children: association with the birth of a siblingDavid N Juurlink
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 168:1539-42. 2003..We explored the association between iron poisoning in young children and the birth of a sibling...
- Multiple doses of activated charcoal: time for reappraisal IIMilton Tenenbein
Ann Emerg Med 42:597-8; author reply 598-9. 2003