Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Distinguishing sleepiness and fatigue: focus on definition and measurementJianhua Shen
Sleep Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, 7M 417, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5T 2S8
Sleep Med Rev 10:63-76. 2006..Despite a high prevalence and high degree of morbidity, fatigue has remained a relatively under appreciated symptom, from both a clinical and research point of view...
- Fatigue and shift workJianhua Shen
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Sleep Res 15:1-5. 2006..Future research should address the possibility of using the FSS as an indicator when the frequency of shift work has become high enough to adversely affect work performance or cause health problems...
- Polysomnographic and symptomatological analyses of major depressive disorder patients treated with mirtazapineJianhua Shen
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 51:27-34. 2006....
- Excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue in depressed patients and therapeutic response of a sedating antidepressantJianhua Shen
Sleep Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Affect Disord 134:421-6. 2011..The main objective of this study was to investigate the therapeutic effects of a sedating antidepressant on sleepiness and fatigue in patients with depression...
- Mirtazapine, a sedating antidepressant, and improved driving safety in patients with major depressive disorder: a prospective, randomized trial of 28 patientsJianhua Shen
Sleep Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Toronto Western Hospital, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 70:370-7. 2009..The objectives of the study were to investigate the effects of mirtazapine, a sedating antidepressant, on driving safety in major depressive disorder (MDD) patients and to observe the effect of mirtazapine on daytime alertness...
- Acupuncture increases nocturnal melatonin secretion and reduces insomnia and anxiety: a preliminary reportD Warren Spence
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 16:19-28. 2004..004) anxiety scores were also found. These objective findings are consistent with clinical reports of acupuncture's relaxant effects. Acupuncture treatment may be of value for some categories of anxious patients with insomnia...
- The effects of nefazodone on women with seasonal affective disorder: clinical and polysomnographic analysesJianhua Shen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Toronto, ON
J Psychiatry Neurosci 30:11-6. 2005..To outline the clinical and polysomnographic changes induced by nefazodone in patients with seasonal affective disorder...
- Measurements of sleepiness and fatigueAzmeh Shahid
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Psychosom Res 69:81-9. 2010..Establishing objective assessing instruments to evaluate fatigue and clarifying the relationship between objective and subjective assessments of sleepiness are crucially needed...
- Sleepiness is not the inverse of alertness: evidence from four sleep disorder patient groupsHenry J Moller
Sleep Research Unit, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 2S8
Exp Brain Res 173:258-66. 2006..The specific primary sleep disorder diagnosis may play a relevant role in mitigating this interrelationship...
- The Toronto Hospital Alertness Test scale: relationship to daytime sleepiness, fatigue, and symptoms of depression and anxietyAzmeh Shahid
Sleep Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Youthdale Treatment Centres, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Youthdale Child and Adolescent Sleep Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Department of Psychiatry, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Nat Sci Sleep 8:41-5. 2016..The present study's aim is to determine normative values of alertness on the THAT and to explore the relationship among excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, depressive symptoms, and alertness...
- Psychomotor disturbance in depression: assessment using a driving simulator paradigmEric L Bulmash
Department of Clinical Psychology, Queens University, Canada
J Affect Disord 93:213-8. 2006..The goal of this investigation was to examine the association between MDD and driving ability assessed within a simulated driving paradigm...