Gerry K Schwalfenberg
Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Solar radiation and vitamin D: mitigating environmental factors in autoimmune diseaseGerry K Schwalfenberg
Department of Family Medicine, University of Alberta, Suite No 301, 9509 156 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Environ Public Health 2012:619381. 2012..Studies that have resulted in prevention or amelioration of some autoimmune disease are discussed. An example of the utility of supplementing vitamin D in an unusual autoimmune disease, idiopathic thrombocytic purpura, is presented...
- Improvement of chronic back pain or failed back surgery with vitamin D repletion: a case seriesGerry Schwalfenberg
Department of Family Medicine, University of Alberta, Canada
J Am Board Fam Med 22:69-74. 2009....
- Vitamin D supplementation in a nursing home populationGerry K Schwalfenberg
Department of Family Practice, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:1072-6. 2010....
- The alkaline diet: is there evidence that an alkaline pH diet benefits health?Gerry K Schwalfenberg
University of Alberta, Suite No 301, 9509 156 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada T5P 4J5
J Environ Public Health 2012:727630. 2012..There may be some value in considering an alkaline diet in reducing morbidity and mortality from chronic diseases and further studies are warranted in this area of medicine...
- Vitamin D status of clinical practice populations at higher latitudes: analysis and applicationsStephen J Genuis
University of Alberta, Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:151-73. 2009....
- A review of the critical role of vitamin D in the functioning of the immune system and the clinical implications of vitamin D deficiencyGerry K Schwalfenberg
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Mol Nutr Food Res 55:96-108. 2011..Clinical diseases are presented in which optimization of 25(OH)D levels may benefit or cause harm according to present day knowledge. The safety of using larger doses of vitamin D in various clinical settings is discussed...
- Picking a bone with contemporary osteoporosis management: nutrient strategies to enhance skeletal integrityStephen J Genuis
University of Alberta, 2935 66 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6K 4C1
Clin Nutr 26:193-207. 2007..Recent evidence-based research, however, supports intervention with adequate amounts of specific nutrients including vitamin D, strontium, vitamin K, and essential fatty acids in the prevention and primary management of osteoporosis...