Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Characteristics of injuries sustained by snowboarders in a terrain parkKelly Russell
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin J Sport Med 23:172-7. 2013..To determine injured body regions and injury type resulting from snowboarding on aerial and nonaerial terrain park features and the accuracy of ski patrol assessments compared with physician diagnoses...
- Oral rehydration versus intravenous therapy for treating dehydration due to gastroenteritis in children: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsSteven Bellemare
Alberta Research Centre for Child Health Evidence, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, 2C3, 00 WMC, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2R7
BMC Med 2:11. 2004..We conducted a systematic review of randomised controlled trials (RCTs) to compare ORT and intravenous therapy (IVT) for the treatment of dehydration secondary to acute gastroenteritis in children...
- Risk factors for methamphetamine use in youth: a systematic reviewKelly Russell
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Pediatr 8:48. 2008..Results were presented separately by comparison group: low-risk (no previous drug abuse) and high-risk children (reported previous drug abuse or were recruited from a juvenile detention center)...
- Listening to a personal music player is associated with fewer but more serious injuries among snowboarders in a terrain park: a case-control studyKelly Russell
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Br J Sports Med 49:62-6. 2015..Some snowboarders listen to music on a personal music player and the objective was to determine if listening to music was associated with injury in a terrain park...
- Helmet use and risk of neck injury in skiers and snowboardersBrent E Hagel
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 171:1134-43. 2010..These results do not suggest that helmets increase the risk of neck injuries among skiers and snowboarders...
- Feature-specific terrain park-injury rates and risk factors in snowboarders: a case-control studyKelly Russell
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Br J Sports Med 48:23-8. 2014..TPs contain man-made features that facilitate aerial manoeuvres. The objectives of this study were to determine overall and feature-specific injury rates and the potential risk factors for TP injuries...
- The effect of helmets on the risk of head and neck injuries among skiers and snowboarders: a meta-analysisKelly Russell
Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
CMAJ 182:333-40. 2010..The prevention of head injuries in alpine activities has focused on helmets. However, no systematic review has examined the effect of helmets on head and neck injuries among skiers and snowboarders...
- Drugs for the acute treatment of migraine in children and adolescentsLawrence Richer
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neurology, University of Alberta, 4 478 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy, 11405 87 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada, T6G 1C9
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD005220. 2016..A systematic review of acute treatment of migraine medication trials in children and adolescents will help clinicians make evidence-informed management choices...
- Factors influencing the publication of randomized controlled trials in child health researchLisa Hartling
Alberta Research Centre for Child Health Evidence, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:983-7. 2004..Publication bias threatens the validity of clinical decisions. The root causes are relatively unknown, and there is limited investigation in child research literature...
- The effect of wrist guards on wrist and arm injuries among snowboarders: a systematic reviewKelly Russell
Alberta Research Centre for Child Health Evidence, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Clin J Sport Med 17:145-50. 2007..To systematically review studies that examined the effectiveness of wrist guards in preventing wrist injuries among snowboarders...
- The evolution of a new publication type: Steps and challenges of producing overviews of reviewsDenise Thomson
Cochrane Child Health Field, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Res Synth Methods 1:198-211. 2010..Ongoing Development: We discuss the lessons we have learned, outstanding challenges for overview authors, and the limitations of overviews...
- Nebulized epinephrine for croup in childrenCandice Bjornson
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta Children s Hospital, 2888 Shaganappi Trail NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T3B 6A8
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 10:CD006619. 2013..Croup is a common childhood illness characterized by barky cough, stridor, hoarseness and respiratory distress. Children with severe croup are at risk for intubation. Nebulized epinephrine may prevent intubation...