Genomes and Genes
David M Olson
Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Growth hormone (GH) receptor knockout mice reveal actions of GH in lung developmentJason A Beyea
Department of Physiology, Medical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
Proteomics 6:341-8. 2006..These roles may reflect endocrine actions of pituitary GH and/or local autocrine/paracrine actions of GH produced within the lung...
- Role of the prostaglandins in labour and prostaglandin receptor inhibitors in the prevention of preterm labourDavid M Olson
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Front Biosci 12:1329-43. 2007..31, delays preterm birth in mice and sheep with no observable maternal or fetal side effects. Hence antagonizing PG action offers new hope for delaying preterm birth...
- Allostatic Load and Preterm BirthDavid M Olson
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2S2, Canada
Int J Mol Sci 16:29856-74. 2015..Once care providers know who is in the highest risk group, interventions can be developed and applied to mitigate their risk. ..
- Effects of PGF2α on the expression of uterine activation proteins in pregnant human myometrial cells from upper and lower segmentChen Xu
Department of Physiology and The Key Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology of the Ministry of Education, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China 200433, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:2975-83. 2013..The switch from pregnancy to delivery involves changes in expression of uterine activation proteins (UAPs). Prostaglandin (PG) F2α has multiple and complex roles in the birth process in addition to its vital contractile role...
- Expression of ATP-sensitive potassium channels in human pregnant myometriumChen Xu
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 9:35. 2011..The objectives of this study were to investigate the protein expression of KATP channel in human myometrium and determine the levels of KATP channel in lower and upper segmental myometrium before and after onset of labour...
- All Our Babies Cohort Study: recruitment of a cohort to predict women at risk of preterm birth through the examination of gene expression profiles and the environmentSara K Gracie
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:87. 2010..Specifically this study will examine the predictive potential of maternal leukocytes for predicting preterm birth in non-labouring women through the examination of gene expression profiles and gene-environment interactions...
- The promise of prostaglandins: have they fulfilled their potential as therapeutic targets for the delay of preterm birth?David M Olson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Soc Gynecol Investig 12:466-78. 2005..This was the "promise of PGs."..
- Myometrial activation and preterm labour: evidence supporting a role for the prostaglandin F receptor--a reviewD M Olson
The Perinatal Research Centre, The CIHR Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Placenta 24:S47-54. 2003..Finally new data showing that administration of a specific FP antagonist delays preterm birth in sheep will be presented...
- The role of prostaglandins in the initiation of parturitionDavid M Olson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, CIHR Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 17:717-30. 2003..The PGF(2alpha) receptor, FP, is emerging as a central component of uterine sensitivity and may prove to be involved with preterm birth and a reasonable target for tocolysis...
- Emerging tocolytics: challenges in designing and testing drugs to delay preterm delivery and prolong pregnancyDavid M Olson
University of Alberta, AHFMR Interdisciplinary Team in Preterm Birth and Healthy Outcomes, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 220 HMRC, Edmonton, T6G 2S2, Alberta, Canada
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 13:695-707. 2008....
- Inflammatory processes in preterm and term parturitionInge Christiaens
Perinatal Research Centre, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Physiology, and Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Reprod Immunol 79:50-7. 2008..In turn, cortisol may drive PG synthesis. Together these feed-forward mechanisms activate the uterus, trigger the production of uterine contractile stimulants and lead to labour and delivery...
- Prostaglandin F2alpha and its receptor as activators of human deciduaShintaro Makino
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Semin Reprod Med 25:60-8. 2007..These collective actions prepare the decidua for its role in parturition...
- The interleukin 1beta-induced expression of human prostaglandin F2alpha receptor messenger RNA in human myometrial-derived ULTR cells requires the transcription factor, NFkappaBDean B Zaragoza
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Canada
Biol Reprod 75:697-704. 2006....
- Prostaglandin endoperoxide H synthase inhibitors and other tocolytics in preterm labourBryan F Mitchell
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Perinatal Research Centre, CIHR Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, University of Alberta, 220 HMRC, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G2S2
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 70:167-87. 2004..Mixed inhibitors and isoform-specific inhibitors of PGHS have been developed, and their roles in delaying preterm labour are examined and compared to other tocolytics...
- Maternal circulating leukocytes display early chemotactic responsiveness during late gestationNardhy Gomez-Lopez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton T6G 2S2, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:S8. 2013....
- Growth hormone (GH) action in the developing lung: changes in lung proteins after adenoviral GH overexpressionJason A Beyea
Department of Physiology and Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Dev Dyn 234:404-12. 2005....
- Expression of myometrial activation and stimulation genes in a mouse model of preterm labor: myometrial activation, stimulation, and preterm laborJ L Cook
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Endocrinology 141:1718-28. 2000..The PGHS-2 messenger RNA expression pattern suggests that it is a CAP...
- Hyperoxia decreases matrix metalloproteinase-9 and increases tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-1 protein in the newborn rat lung: association with arrested alveolarizationGayle E Hosford
Departmen of Physiology, Perinatal Research Centre, The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Pediatr Res 56:26-34. 2004..We conclude that hyperoxia decreases MMP-9 mRNA, protein, and activity and elevates TIMP-1 protein, and these changes have the potential to contribute to the arrest of normal lung development...
- Development and validation of primary human myometrial cell culture models to study pregnancy and labourAndrea A Mosher
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:S7. 2013..Labour has been described as an inflammatory process; therefore, the ability of these cells to respond to an inflammatory stimulus was also investigated...
- Increased expression of enzymes for sphingosine 1-phosphate turnover and signaling in human decidua during late pregnancyYuka Yamamoto
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Biol Reprod 82:628-35. 2010..This work provides the first evidence of increased S1P synthesis, degradation, and signaling in human decidua during gestation...
- Expression of growth hormone and its receptor in the lungs of embryonic chicksJason A Beyea
Department of Physiology and Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, T6G 2H7, Canada
Cell Tissue Res 322:379-92. 2005..Lung GH may thus have autocrine or paracrine roles in lung development or in pulmonary function prior to the ontogeny of the pituitary gland and the appearance of GH in peripheral plasma...
- Hyperoxia increases protein mass of 5-lipoxygenase and its activating protein, flap, and leukotriene B(4) output in newborn rat lungsGayle E Hosford
Department of Physiology, The Perinatal Research Centre, The CIHR Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Exp Lung Res 28:671-84. 2002..These data show that hyperoxia increases LTB(4) output, as well as protein levels of 5-LO and FLAP, in newborn rat lungs during early postnatal life. Elevated LTB(4) may contribute to the etiology of newborn lung disease...
- Regulation of prostaglandin H2 synthase-2 expression in primary human amnion cells by tyrosine kinase dependent mechanismsT Zakar
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1391:37-51. 1998..Tyrosine kinase inhibitors may constitute a new category of PGHS-2 inhibitors that act by blocking the expression of the enzyme...
- Regulation of prostaglandin endoperoxide H2 synthase in term human gestational tissuesT Zakar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Alberta Perinatal Research Centre, Edmonton, Canada
Acta Physiol Hung 84:109-18. 1996..However, the role of these effectors in the in vivo control of PGHS-2 expression remains to be determined...
- Progesterone and prostaglandin H synthase-2 involvement in alcohol-induced preterm birth in miceJ L Cook
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 23:1793-800. 1999..It is possible that alcohol induces preterm birth by altering P4 or PGHS-2 levels. These studies were designed to determine the role of P4 and PGHS-2 in alcohol-induced preterm labor in mice...
- Maternal smoking and preeclampsiaX Xiong
Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, and Health Surveillance, Alberta Health and Wellness, Edmonton, Canada
J Reprod Med 45:727-32. 2000..To study the relationship between maternal smoking and preeclampsia and whether this association differs between primiparous and multiparous women...
- Maternal nutrient restriction alters renal development and blood pressure regulation of the offspringKathryn A Brennan
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Proc Nutr Soc 65:116-24. 2006..In conclusion, NR does affect the GH-IGF and PG axes, and these changes may be important in the nutritional programming of renal functioning and adult blood pressure control...
- Interleukin (IL)-1 in rat parturition: IL-1 receptors 1 and 2 and accessory proteins abundance in pregnant rat uterus at term - regulation by progesteroneTomohito Ishiguro
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Physiology and Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Koshigaya Municipal Hospital, Koshigaya, Japan
Physiol Rep 4:. 2016..The roles for IL-1RAcP and IL-1RAcPb need to be determined, but may relate to different intracellular signaling pathways. ..
- PGF2α modulates the output of chemokines and pro-inflammatory cytokines in myometrial cells from term pregnant women through divergent signaling pathwaysChen Xu
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China Departments of Physiology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton T6G2S2, Canada
Mol Hum Reprod 21:603-14. 2015..NFAT was involved in PGF2α modulation of CCL2 and TNFα output. In conclusion, our results support a role of PGF2α in creating an inflammatory environment during the late stage of human pregnancy. ..
- Maternal stress induces epigenetic signatures of psychiatric and neurological diseases in the offspringFabiola C R Zucchi
Department of Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e56967. 2013..These observations provide a new mechanistic association between environmental and genetic risk factors in psychiatric and neurological disease...
- Invasion of the leukocytes into the fetal-maternal interface during pregnancyNardhy Gomez-Lopez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universityof Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Leukoc Biol 88:625-33. 2010..In this review, we discuss leukocyte infiltration and recruitment and the potential roles of each subpopulation of leukocytes in relation to pregnancy and the problems of preterm birth, pre-eclampsia, and intrauterine growth restriction...
- Mouse placental prostaglandins are associated with uterine activation and the timing of birthJocelynn L Cook
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Biol Reprod 68:579-87. 2003....
- Specific inflammatory microenvironments in the zones of the fetal membranes at term deliveryNardhy Gomez-Lopez
Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:235.e15-24. 2011..The purpose of this study was to examine the histologic and immunologic differences between fetal membrane zones after membrane rupture at term delivery...
- Cloning and characterization of the promoter region of the human prostaglandin F2alpha receptor geneDean B Zaragoza
Perinatal Research Centre, CIHR Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2S2, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1676:193-202. 2004..DNase I footprinting analysis of this region identifies a footprint over the GATA-like site at -2400. This suggests repression of basal FP transcription may be mediated by a GATA binding site...
- Pregnant human peripheral leukocyte migration during several late pregnancy clinical conditions: a cross-sectional observational studyJun Takeda
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Physiology, 220 Heritage Medical Research Center, University of Alberta, Edmonton, T6G 2S2, AB, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 17:16. 2017..Since migration is an early parturitional event our purpose was to study the migration of maternal peripheral blood leukocytes in response to a standard chemotactic signal during several different conditions of late pregnancy...
- Toll-Like Receptor 4 Is an Essential Upstream Regulator of On-Time Parturition and Perinatal Viability in MiceHanan H Wahid
Robinson Research Institute and School of Medicine H H W, C D, P Y C, M R H, L M M, S A R, University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA 5005, Australia Chemical Biology Research Branch K C R, National Institute on Drug Abuse and National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20892 and Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Physiology D M O, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada AB TG62S2
Endocrinology 156:3828-41. 2015..Because causal pathways for term and preterm labor converge with TLR4, interventions to manipulate TLR4 signaling may have therapeutic utility for women at risk of preterm labor, or in postterm pregnancy. ..
- Effects of hyperoxia on VEGF, its receptors, and HIF-2alpha in the newborn rat lungGayle E Hosford
Department of Physiology, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Perinatal Health and Disease, The Perinatal Research Centre, The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L161-8. 2003..Receptor protein levels did not increase with development; however, O2 did decrease protein to less than air values. Hyperoxic suppression of VEGF signaling from days 9-14 may be one mechanism by which alveolarization is arrested...
- Growth hormone expression in the perinatal and postnatal rat lungJason A Beyea
Department of Physiology and Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G2H7, Canada
Dev Dyn 232:1037-46. 2005..Given that the GH receptor is present in the lung from early development, lung GH may have autocrine and/or paracrine roles in lung growth or differentiation or in pulmonary function...
- Proinflammatory cytokines inhibit human placental 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 activity through Ca2+ and cAMP pathwaysIren Kossintseva
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Univ of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E282-8. 2006..This could result in excessive fetal exposure to maternal cortisol. This mechanism might mediate part of the increased risk of metabolic and cardiovascular disease in adult offspring...
- Placental restriction increases the expression of prostaglandin endoperoxide G/H synthase-2 and EP2 mRNA in the fetal sheep kidney during late gestationSarah J Williams
Department of Physiology, Adelaide University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Pediatr Res 52:879-85. 2002....
- Delay of preterm birth in sheep by THG113.31, a prostaglandin F2alpha receptor antagonistJonathan J Hirst
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 193:256-66. 2005..A novel prostaglandin F2alpha receptor antagonist, THG113.31, was tested for the suppression of uterine contractility and delay of preterm labor in sheep...
- Cortisol infusion decreases renin, but not PGHS-2, EP2, or EP4 mRNA expression in the kidney of the fetal sheep at days 109-116Sarah J Williams
Department of Physiology, Adelaide University, Australia
Pediatr Res 55:637-44. 2004..During nephrogenesis, the insensitivity of PGHS-2, EP(2), and EP(4) expression to down-regulation by cortisol may permit continued PG regulation of renal development and urine formation...