Paul S Links
Affiliation: University of Western Ontario
- Prospective risk factors for suicide attempts in a treated sample of patients with borderline personality disorderPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 58:99-106. 2013..There are some data to suggest that risk factors for suicide attempts change over time. We conducted a prospective cohort study to examine risk factors for suicide attempts in a treated sample of patients with BPD...
- The relationship between personality disorders and Axis I psychopathology: deconstructing comorbidityPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5W9 Canada
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 9:529-54. 2013..Our review suggests some priorities for future research into comorbidity, such as including personality disorders in future multivariate comorbidity models...
- An exploratory study of the relationship between changes in emotion and cognitive processes and treatment outcome in borderline personality disorderShelley McMain
a Borderline Personality Disorder Service, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychother Res 23:658-73. 2013..The implications for treatment are discussed...
- Variability and predictors of negative mood intensity in patients with borderline personality disorder and recurrent suicidal behavior: multilevel analyses applied to experience sampling methodologyRosane Nisenbaum
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Keenan Research Centre, LiKaShing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Abnorm Psychol 119:433-9. 2010..These patterns, if replicated in larger ESM studies, may potentially assist the clinician in determining which patients require close monitoring...
- Narcissistic personality and vulnerability to late-life suicidalityMarnin J Heisel
Department of Psychiatry, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:734-41. 2007..The present study investigated whether NP increases vulnerability to suicidal ideation and behavior among geriatric depression day-hospital patients...
- Assessment and emergency management of suicidality in personality disordersJuveria Zaheer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatr Clin North Am 31:527-43, viii-ix. 2008..Finally, the article discusses the approach to a patient who has BPD and presents to the emergency department because of an increased risk of suicide...
- Dialectical behavior therapy compared with general psychiatric management for borderline personality disorder: clinical outcomes and functioning over a 2-year follow-upShelley F McMain
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 169:650-61. 2012....
- Estimating the prevalence of borderline personality disorder in psychiatric outpatients using a two-phase procedureMarilyn I Korzekwa
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Compr Psychiatry 49:380-6. 2008..Demographic data from 130 of 131 DIB-R completers reveal the following: mean age was 40.2 years, 75.4% were female, most patients were unable to work, and they averaged 3.8 lifetime hospitalizations...
- Demonstrating adherence to guidelines for the treatment of patients with borderline personality disorderNathan J Kolla
Resident, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 54:181-9. 2009....
- A randomized trial of dialectical behavior therapy versus general psychiatric management for borderline personality disorderShelley F McMain
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 166:1365-74. 2009....
- Suicidal behaviour on subway systems: a review of the epidemiologyRuwan Ratnayake
Suicide Studies Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Urban Health 84:766-81. 2007..Well-designed studies that utilize robust data collection and statistical methods are needed to establish the risk status associated with these characteristics...
- Reducing potential risk factors for suicide-related behavior with a group intervention for clients with recurrent suicide-related behaviorYvonne Bergmans
Suicide Studies Unit, Arthur Sommer Rotenberg Chair in Suicide Studies, St Michael s Hospital University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Clin Psychiatry 21:17-25. 2009....
- Dissociation in borderline personality disorder: a detailed lookMarilyn I Korzekwa
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Trauma Dissociation 10:346-67. 2009..DDs in these patients with BPD were surprisingly high. Likewise, the "average" BPD patient endorsed a wide variety of recurrent pathological dissociative symptoms...
- Repeat substance-using suicidal clients-how can we be helpful?Yvonne Bergmans
St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Soc Work Health Care 48:420-31. 2009....
- Comorbid Depression and Other Predictors of PTSD Severity in Urban Public Transit EmployeesRavi Shah
Department of Psychiatry, Lawson Health Research Institute, Western University, London, ON, Canada
Community Ment Health J . 2016..This study highlights the importance of modifiable variables for reducing PTSD severity after a workplace traumatic event in transit employees...
- Impact of recent research on borderline personality disorderPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Curr Psychiatry Rep 9:1-2. 2007
- Crisis occurrence and resolution in patients with severe and persistent mental illness: the contribution of suicidalityPaul S Links
Suicide Studies Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Canada
Crisis 26:160-9. 2005..Our findings suggest that elevation of psychiatric symptoms is a major contributor to the crisis occurrences of individuals with SPMI; although the risk of suicide may have to be conceived as somewhat separate from crisis occurrence...
- Adolescent personality disorders in adolescent medicineNishka R Vijay
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Suite 2 010h, Shuter Wing, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Adolesc Med Clin 17:115-30. 2006..As data emerge regarding the long-term prognosis and effective treatment of PDs, clinicians are cautioned to avoid the traditional teaching that the dysfunctional patterns will necessarily continue into adulthood...
- Preventing suicidal behaviour in a general hospital psychiatric service: priorities for programmingPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 50:490-6. 2005..We completed this literature review to suggest priorities for programming...
- Executive function and suicidal risk in women with Borderline Personality DisorderJeannette LeGris
Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatry Res 196:101-8. 2012..2003), the sensitivity of stroop performance to suicidal risk may be clinically important. Interference control may represent a "diathesis" for suicide that is independent of psychiatric diagnoses...
- Indo-Canadian Collaboration for Suicide Prevention: Training Needs Assessment for Healthcare Professionals in IndiaRavi Shah
Department of Psychiatry, Western University, London, ON, Canada
Community Ment Health J 52:511-8. 2016..Development of innovative and effective competencies-based suicide specific training for primary care providers in India is urgently required. ..
- The effects of suicide ideation assessments on urges to self-harm and suicideRahel Eynan
lt location gt Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada lt location gt
Crisis 35:123-31. 2014..The presence of suicide risk is often an exclusion criterion for research participants. Subsequently, few studies have examined the effects of research assessments on study participants' suicidality...
- Meta-analyses of mood stabilizers, antidepressants and antipsychotics in the treatment of borderline personality disorder: effectiveness for depression and anger symptomsDeanna Mercer
University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Pers Disord 23:156-74. 2009..Unfortunately most studies excluded patients with alcohol and substance abuse, suicidality, and self-harm behaviors. This may limit the ability to generalize our findings to usual clinical practice...
- Emotion-focused principles for working with borderline personality disorderSerine H Warwar
St John s Rehab Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Psychiatr Pract 14:94-104. 2008..Based on our experience, the integration of EFT principles into the therapy of patients with BPD shows promise as it has been helpful in targeting BPD symptoms, and is feasible and acceptable to patients...
- Common elements for the psychotherapeutic management of patients with self injurious behaviorFrancesca L Schiavone
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Child Abuse Negl 37:133-8. 2013....
- Facilitators and barriers to doing workplace mental health research: Case study of acute psychological trauma in a public transit systemPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, London, ON, Canada
Work 54:73-8. 2016..Researchers and funding agencies need to be flexible and provide additional resources in order to overcome the barriers that can exist doing workplace mental health research. ..
- Is suicide ideation a surrogate endpoint for geriatric suicide?Paul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Tooronto, Ontario, Canada
Suicide Life Threat Behav 35:193-205. 2005..Implications of utilizing surrogate endpoints in suicide research are discussed...
- Assessing suicidal youth with antisocial, borderline, or narcissistic personality disorderPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 48:301-10. 2003..Last, we discuss clinical approaches to assessing youth with antisocial, borderline, or narcissistic personality disorder presenting at risk for suicide...