- Head Trauma in Mixed Martial Arts
Michael G Hutchison
David L MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic, Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Sports Med 42:1352-8. 2014
..Youth and amateur participation is growing, warranting investigation into the burden and mechanism of injuries associated with this sport...
- Differential emotional responses of varsity athletes to concussion and musculoskeletal injuries
Faculty of Physical Education and Health, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin J Sport Med 19:13-9. 2009
..To determine if athletes with concussion and those with minor musculoskeletal injuries experienced differential emotional response to injury...
- The influence of musculoskeletal injury on cognition: implications for concussion research
Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 500 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Sports Med 39:2331-7. 2011
..Safe return-to-play decisions after concussion can be challenging for sports medicine specialists. Neuropsychological testing is recommended to objectively measure concussion-related cognitive impairments...
- Evaluating the methodological quality of sports neuropsychology concussion research: a systematic review
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
Brain Inj 24:1257-71. 2010
..As such, the present review evaluated the methodological quality of neuropsychological sports-related concussion research using a comprehensive, systematic method...
- Emotional response to sport concussion compared to ACL injury
Lynda M Mainwaring
University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Brain Inj 24:589-97. 2010
..To ascertain and compare the nature of emotional response of athletes to concussion and to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury...
- Brain Structure and Function Associated with a History of Sport Concussion: A Multi-Modal Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study
1 Keenan Research Centre of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurotrauma . 2016
..This was examined for a mixture of male and female athletes in both contact and noncontact sports, demonstrating the relevance of these findings for the overall sporting community...
- Concussions and heading in soccer: a review of the evidence of incidence, mechanisms, biomarkers and neurocognitive outcomes
Monica E Maher
Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brain Inj 28:271-85. 2014
..Soccer is also unique in the use of 'heading'. The present paper provides a comprehensive review of the research examining the incidence, mechanisms, biomarkers of injury and neurocognitive outcomes of concussions and heading in soccer...
- Heart Rate Variability of Athletes Across Concussion Recovery Milestones: A Preliminary Study
Exercise Sciences, Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Clin J Sport Med . 2016
..To assess heart rate variability (HRV) in athletes with concussion across three phases of recovery...