Genomes and Genes
Brian D Gulbransen
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Activation of neuronal P2X7 receptor-pannexin-1 mediates death of enteric neurons during colitisBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nat Med 18:600-4. 2012..Targeting Panx1 represents a new neuroprotective strategy to ameliorate the progression of IBD-associated dysmotility...
- Nasal solitary chemoreceptor cell responses to bitter and trigeminal stimulants in vitroBrian D Gulbransen
Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:2929-37. 2008..Our results demonstrate that TRPM5- and gustducin-expressing nasal SCCs respond to the T2R agonist denatonium via a PLC-coupled transduction cascade typical of T2Rs in the taste system...
- Purinergic neuron-to-glia signaling in the enteric nervous systemBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 136:1349-58. 2009..We investigated whether enteric glia are activated by ATP released from enteric neurons...
- Enteric glia are targets of the sympathetic innervation of the myenteric plexus in the guinea pig distal colonBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
J Neurosci 30:6801-9. 2010..Therefore, enteric glia discern activity in adjacent synaptic pathways and selectively respond to sympathetic activation...
- Nasal chemosensory cells use bitter taste signaling to detect irritants and bacterial signalsMarco Tizzano
Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:3210-5. 2010....
- Novel functional roles for enteric glia in the gastrointestinal tractBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive North West Calgary, AB T2N 4N1, Canada
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:625-32. 2012..In this Review, we discuss the current body of evidence supporting functional roles of enteric glia and identify key gaps in our understanding of the physiology of these unique cells...
- Interferon-gamma signals via an ERK1/2-ARF6 pathway to promote bacterial internalization by gut epitheliaDavid Smyth
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, The Calvin, Phoebe and Joan Snyder Institute for Chronic Diseases, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Cell Microbiol 14:1257-70. 2012..Thus, increased transcellular passage may be a major component of IFNγ-induced increases in epithelial permeability, and ERK1/2 and ARF6 are presented as important molecules in IFNγ-evoked transcytosis of bacteria across gut epithelia...
- Solitary chemoreceptor cell proliferation in adult nasal epitheliumBrian D Gulbransen
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, Neuroscience Program, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Mail Stop 8108, P O Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Neurocytol 34:117-22. 2005..No BrdU labeled cells were detected after 24 days suggesting relatively rapid replacement of the SCCs...