A J Fischer
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced excitotoxicity causes myopia in hatched chicksA J Fischer
Department of Anatomy, Lions Sight Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alta
Can J Ophthalmol 32:373-7. 1997..To characterize the effect of the amacrine cell-selective toxin N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) on ocular growth in chicks...
- Identification and localization of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in the ocular tissues of the chickA J Fischer
Lions Sight Centre Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Comp Neurol 392:273-84. 1998..Only cm3 was detected in the outer plexiform layer, and only cm4 was detected in the ciliary ganglion. We propose that each mAChR subtype has unique functions in each ocular tissue...
- Immunocytochemical characterization of quisqualic acid- and N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced excitotoxicity in the retina of chicksA J Fischer
Department of Anatomy and Lion s Sight Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Comp Neurol 393:1-15. 1998..We propose that excitotoxicity caused by QA and NMDA induces apoptosis in specific populations of amacrine cells and that these actions are responsible for the ocular growth-specific effects of QA and NMDA reported elsewhere...
- Cholinergic amacrine cells are not required for the progression and atropine-mediated suppression of form-deprivation myopiaA J Fischer
Department of Anatomy and Lions Sight Centre, The University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, 3330 Hospital Dr N W, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Brain Res 794:48-60. 1998....
- Nitric oxide synthase-containing cells in the retina, pigmented epithelium, choroid, and sclera of the chick eyeA J Fischer
Lions Sight Centre and Department of Anatomy, The University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Alberta, Canada
J Comp Neurol 405:1-14. 1999....
- Colchicine causes excessive ocular growth and myopia in chicksA J Fischer
Department of Anatomy, University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Alberta, Canada
Vision Res 39:685-97. 1999....
- Light- and focus-dependent expression of the transcription factor ZENK in the chick retinaA J Fischer
Department of Anatomy, Neuroscience Research Group, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, 3330 Hospital Drive N W, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Nat Neurosci 2:706-12. 1999..We conclude that glucagon-containing amacrine cells respond differentially to the sign of defocus and may mediate lens-induced changes in ocular growth and refraction...
- Nitric oxide donor stimulated increase of cyclic GMP in the goldfish retinaW H Baldridge
Department of Anatomy, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Vis Neurosci 18:849-56. 2001..Although this may be due to insufficient sensitivity of immunolabeling, this result may indicate a difference between isoforms of sGC or cGMP PDE in these neurons, compared to neurons where exogenous NO increased cG-ir...