Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Multiattribute and single-attribute utility functions for the health utilities index mark 3 systemDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Med Care 40:113-28. 2002..HUI3 consists of eight attributes (or dimensions) of health status: vision, hearing, speech, ambulation, dexterity, emotion, cognition, and pain with 5 or 6 levels per attribute, varying from highly impaired to normal...
- The construct validity of the health utilities index mark 3 in assessing health status in lung transplantationMaria Jose Santana
Lung Transplant Program, 2E4, 31 Walter C, Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, T6G2B7, Alberta, Canada
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:110. 2010..To assess the cross-sectional construct validity of the Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) in lung transplantation...
- Trajectories of health-related quality of life differ by age among adults: results from an eight-year longitudinal studyKeiko Asakawa
School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G3
J Health Econ 31:207-18. 2012..Chronic conditions and health behaviours such as smoking were important for seniors (65+). It is important to focus on the most relevant and important determinants of health in each phase of life...
- The use of patient-reported outcomes becomes standard practice in the routine clinical care of lung-heart transplant patientsMaria J Santana
Lung Transplant Program, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Patient Relat Outcome Meas 1:93-105. 2010..We assessed whether the addition of PROs in routine clinical care affected the duration of the consultation and patient's and clinician's views...
- Test-retest reliability of health utilities index scores: evidence from hip fractureC Allyson Jones
University of Alberta, Institute of Health Economics, Alberta, Canada
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 21:393-8. 2005..The objective was to estimate test-retest reliability for Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2) and Mark 3 (HUI3) utility scores in patients recovering from hip fracture...
- Improvement in health-related quality of life after lung transplantationMaria Jose Santana
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can Respir J 16:153-8. 2009..The objective of the present study was to assess the impact of lung transplantation on patient's HRQL using the HUI...
- Assessing the use of health-related quality of life measures in the routine clinical care of lung-transplant patientsMaria Jose Santana
University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Qual Life Res 19:371-9. 2010..We hypothesized that the inclusion of HRQL in routine clinical care would improve patient-clinician communication, affect clinical management, and improve patients' HRQL...
- Comparing directly measured standard gamble scores to HUI2 and HUI3 utility scores: group- and individual-level comparisonsDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics, 1200, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alta, Canada AB T5J 3N4
Soc Sci Med 58:799-809. 2004..HUI2 and HUI3 scores differ systematically. At the individual level, however, HUI2 and HUI3 scores are poor substitutes for directly measured scores...
- Comparing community-preference-based and direct standard gamble utility scores: evidence from elective total hip arthroplastyDavid Feeny
University of Alberta, Canada
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 19:362-72. 2003....
- Patient-reported outcome 2 years after lung transplantation: does the underlying diagnosis matter?Maria Jose Santana
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Patient Relat Outcome Meas 3:79-84. 2012..We describe how patients' HRQL among different diagnosis groups can be used by clinicians to monitor and evaluate the outcomes associated with transplantation...
- Health-related quality-of-life assessment of prenatal diagnosis: chorionic villi sampling and amniocentesisDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Genet Test 6:39-46. 2002..This advantage needs to be weighed against the high disutility patients attach to infrequent outcomes associated with pregnancy losses, equivocal diagnoses, and diagnostic inaccuracy...
- Health Utilities Index Mark 3 showed valid in Alzheimer disease, arthritis, and cataractsKeiko Asakawa
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 61:733-9. 2008..To assess the cross-sectional construct validity of the Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) in Alzheimer disease (AD), arthritis (AR), and cataracts (CA)...
- Health-related quality of life measures in routine clinical care: can FACT-fatigue help to assess the management of fatigue in cancer patients?Maria Jose Santana
Lung Transplant Program, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 25:90-6. 2009..The primary objective of this study is to provide evidence on the magnitude of change in fatigue subscale scores using the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Fatigue (FACT-F) that is clinically important...
- A cohort study found the RAND-12 and Health Utilities Index Mark 3 demonstrated construct validity in high-risk primary care patientsDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics, 1200, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 3N4, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 58:138-41. 2005..The objective of this study was to examine the construct validity of the RAND-12 and HUI3 in the context of high-risk primary care patients...
- Comparing short form 6D, standard gamble, and Health Utilities Index Mark 2 and Mark 3 utility scores: results from total hip arthroplasty patientsDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Qual Life Res 13:1659-70. 2004..The objectives are to compare SF-6D, standard gamble (SG), and Health Utilities Index (HUI) utility scores, compare change scores, and compare responsiveness...
- Health-related quality of life in prenatal diagnosisDavid Feeny
University of Alberta, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Canada
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 4:207-13. 2004....
- Commentary on Jack Dowie, "Decision validity should determine whether a generic or condition-specific HRQOL measure is used in health care decisions"David Feeny
Institute of Health Economics, 1200, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3N4, Canada
Health Econ 11:13-6; discussion 21-2. 2002
- A test of prospect theoryDavid Feeny
University of Alberta and Institute of Health Economics, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3N4, Canada
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 21:511-6. 2005..Using prospectively collected utility scores, the objective is to test empirically implications of PT...
- Comparing the health of low income and less well educated groups in the United States and CanadaKen Eng
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Popul Health Metr 5:10. 2007..A limited number of health status and health-related quality of life (HRQL) measures have been used for inter-country comparisons of population health. We compared the health of Canadians and Americans using a preference-based measure...
- Primary health care teams: team members' perceptions of the collaborative processSherry L Dieleman
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Interprof Care 18:75-8. 2004
- Self-reported health status of the general adult U.S. population as assessed by the EQ-5D and Health Utilities IndexNan Luo
QualityMetric Incorporated, Lincoln, RI, USA
Med Care 43:1078-86. 2005..This study aimed to describe the self-reported health status of the general adult U.S. population using 3 multi-attribute preference-based measures: the EQ-5D, Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2), and Mark 3 (HUI3)...
- Validity, feasibility and acceptability of time trade-off and standard gamble assessments in health valuation studies: a study in a multiethnic Asian population in SingaporeHwee Lin Wee
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Value Health 11:S3-10. 2008..To assess the validity, feasibility and acceptability of standard gamble (SG) and time trade-off (TTO) assessments in a multiethnic Asian population...
- Is the Health Utilities Index valid in total hip arthroplasty patients?Chris Blanchard
American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Qual Life Res 13:339-48. 2004..The purpose of the study was to examine the construct validity of the Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HU12) and Mark 3 (HU13) in patients with osteoarthritis (OA) needing total hip arthroplasty (THA)...
- Re: Hinds et al. The Health Utilities Index 3 invalidated. Cancer Nurs. 2007;30(3):169-177David Feeny
Cancer Nurs 31:261-2. 2008
- Using health-related quality of life assessments to evaluate care support within MedicaidRichard T Meenan
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Care Manag J 9:42-50. 2008..Study results provide good preliminary evidence of the value of patient-reported outcomes in clarifying individual illness burden and assessing intervention effectiveness...
- Development of disease-specific health-related quality-of-life instruments for children with immune thrombocytopenic purpura and their parentsDorothy Barnard
IWK Health Center, Dalhousie University, 5850 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3G9, Canada
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 25:56-62. 2003..ITP is usually a self-limited disorder. With current controversy over management approaches, an evaluation of the disease burden experienced by the child and the family may assist with the assessment of alternative treatment approaches...
- As good as it gets but good enough for which applications?David Feeny
Med Decis Making 26:307-9. 2006
- Is adherence to drug treatment correlated with health-related quality of life?Isabelle Côté
Innovus Research Inc, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Qual Life Res 12:621-33. 2003..Adherence to drug treatment and health-related quality of life (HRQL) are two distinct concepts. Generally one would expect a positive relationship between the two...
- How robust is the Health Utilities Index Mark 2 utility function?Qinan Wang
Division of Economics and Statistics, School of Accountancy and Business, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Med Decis Making 22:350-8. 2002..Would results without exclusions or from a different group of parents have differed?..
- Validation of a prediction model to estimate health utilities index Mark 3 utility scores from WOMAC index scores in patients with osteoarthritis of the hipDeborah Marshall
Global Health Economics and Outcomes, i3 Innovus, Burlington, ON, Canada
Value Health 11:470-7. 2008....
- Health status measurements at diagnosis as predictors of survival among adults with brain tumorsHelen McCarter
The Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 24:3636-43. 2006..The intent of this study was to determine whether baseline measures of functional capacity and performance could be used to predict survival in adults following the diagnosis of brain tumors...
- Measuring health preferences for Health Utilities Index Mark 3 health states: a study of feasibility and preference differences among ethnic groups in SingaporeNan Luo
Centre for Health Services Research, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Med Decis Making 27:61-70. 2007..Little is known about the health preferences of Southeast Asians. The authors therefore investigated the feasibility of measuring health preferences of Chinese, Malays, and Indians in Singapore and compared their preference scores...
- A model to estimate health utilities index mark 3 utility scores from WOMAC index scores in patients with osteoarthritis of the kneePaul Grootendorst
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 34:534-42. 2007....
- Assessing differences in utility scores: a comparison of four widely used preference-based instrumentsHwee Lin Wee
Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Value Health 10:256-65. 2007....
- The predictive validity of health-related quality of life measures: mortality in a longitudinal population-based studyMark S Kaplan
School of Community Health, Portland State University, P O Box 751, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Qual Life Res 16:1539-1546. 2007..This study examined the association between health-related quality of life (HRQL) and mortality risk, and compared the predictive ability of Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) with self-rated health (SRH)...
- Patient-focused measures of functional health status and health-related quality of life in pediatric orthopedics: a case study in measurement selectionWilliam Furlong
Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis, and Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton Canada
Health Qual Life Outcomes 3:3. 2005..The framework for measurement of health status and HRQL from a patient perspective has relevance to many other areas of orthopedic practice...
- Analyzing oncology clinical trial data using the Q-TWiST method: clinical importance and sources for health state preference dataDennis A Revicki
Center for Health Outcomes Research, MEDTAP Institute, 7101 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 600, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Qual Life Res 15:411-23. 2006..We also provide recommendations for measuring health utilities and for the design of Q-TWiST studies...
- Comparison of total hip arthroplasty performed with and without cement : a randomized trialAndreas Laupacis
Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1823-8. 2002..This study was designed to compare the fixation of a Mallory-Head total hip prosthesis with and without cement...
- Methodological design for economic evaluation in Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) trialGraham Nichol
Harborview Center for Prehospital Research and Training, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am Heart J 150:202-8. 2005..Our objective is to describe the rationale and methods for the economic analysis of the PAD trial. The objective of this analysis is to assess whether automated external defibrillators (AEDs) use by lay responders is good value for money...
- Is the Health Utilities Index responsive in total hip arthroplasty patients?Chris Blanchard
School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, 125 University Street, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 56:1046-54. 2003..The purpose is to examine the responsiveness of the Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2), Mark 3 (HUI3), and other generic and disease-specific measures in osteoarthritis patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty (THA)...
- A study of the construct validity of the Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) in patients with schizophreniaNan Luo
Health Services Research Unit, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Qual Life Res 15:889-98. 2006..07, 0.09, 0.04 and 0.04 points lower than respective age-, sex- and ethnicity-adjusted population norms (p<0.001 for all, ANCOVA). This study provides evidence for the construct validity of the HUI3 in patients with schizophrenia...
- US norms for six generic health-related quality-of-life indexes from the National Health Measurement studyDennis G Fryback
Department of Population Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53726, USA
Med Care 45:1162-70. 2007..A number of indexes measuring self-reported generic health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL) using preference-weighted scoring are used widely in population surveys and clinical studies in the United States...
- The association of body mass index with health-related quality of life: an exploratory study in a multiethnic Asian populationHwee Lin Wee
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Value Health 11:S105-14. 2008....
- Comparing short form and RAND physical and mental health summary scores: results from total hip arthroplasty and high-risk primary-care patientsChris M Blanchard
American Cancer Society, USA
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 20:230-5. 2004..The RAND Health Status Inventory (HSI) measures do not use negative weights. Do these different approaches to scoring matter? The objective was to compare summary scores using both the SF and RAND-HSI...
- Socioeconomic status and health-related quality of life among elderly people: results from the Joint Canada/United States Survey of HealthNathalie Huguet
Center for Public Health Studies, Portland State University, Portland, OR 97207 0751, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:803-10. 2008..Various explanations for the positive linear relationship between HRQL and income in the elderly population are discussed, including the roles of access to health care and socioeconomic inequalities in the United States and Canada...
- Economic evaluation of treatments for cancer in childhoodRonald D Barr
Haematology Oncology, McMaster Children s Hospital, Hamilton Health Sciences, and Pediatrics, Pathology and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Eur J Cancer 40:1335-45. 2004..By almost any interpretative standard this appears attractive with respect to cancer in childhood. Examples are provided with the encouragement that economic evaluation be undertaken in more clinical trials in paediatric oncology...