Nahid A Azad
Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Adverse drug events in the elderly population admitted to a tertiary care hospitalNahid Azad
Faculty of Medicine, Geriatric Assessment Unit, Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus, Canada
J Healthc Manag 47:295-305; discussion 305-6. 2002..Prospective data are missing, adverse drug events are poorly described, and analytical methods are questionable. This leads to problems with imprecise estimates and generalizability of results...
- Hospitalized patients' preference in the treatment of insomnia: pharmacological versus non-pharmacologicalNahid Azad
Geriatric Assessment Unit, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, Ottawa, Canada
Can J Clin Pharmacol 10:89-92. 2003..Consequently, there has been a logical search for non-drug alternatives (NDAs) for the treatment of insomnia...
- Gender differences in dementia risk factorsNahid A Azad
Geriatric Assessment Inpatient Unit, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Gend Med 4:120-9. 2007..There is a growing body of literature on the importance of cardiovascular risk factors in the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD), vascular dementia, and mixed dementia (AD with cerebrovascular disease)...
- Lessons learned from a multidisciplinary heart failure clinic for older women: a randomised controlled trialNahid Azad
The Geriatric Assessment Inpatient Unit, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 4E9, Canada
Age Ageing 37:282-7. 2008..An approach incorporating disciplines such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, dietary and pharmacy in a standardized clinical pathway merits further investigation in older women with HF...
- Evaluation of in-hospital management of fracture risk in older patients: a chart review study of tertiary preventionAnna M Byszewski
Division of Geriatric Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1Y 4E9
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 42:319-28. 2006..Interventions are required to increase the awareness that this problem is not being addressed at the time of hospitalization and that on discharge, patients will need follow-up by the treating community physician...
- Clinical pathways: adherence issues in complex older female patients with heart failure (HF)Anna Byszewski
University of Ottawa, Regional Geriatric Program of Eastern Ontario, The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4E9
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50:165-70. 2010..Our study demonstrates that a clinical pathway can be implemented in an older, female population with HF. This report identifies some of the challenges and provides future recommendations for prospective pathway development...
- Non-pharmacological management of primary and secondary insomnia among older people: review of assessment tools and treatmentsLyndal Petit
The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Age Ageing 32:19-25. 2003..Pharmacological interventions, although effective in some circumstances, can be detrimental in others. Non-pharmacological management of insomnia may allow the patients to self-administer the treatment...
- Cultural sensitivity training in Canadian medical schoolsNahid Azad
Geriatric Assessment Unit, the Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus OHCC, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Acad Med 77:222-8. 2002..Further investment in faculty development and administrative staff support for a multicultural curriculum are needed, as is more research on effective curricular components...
- Multidisciplinary congestive heart failure clinic for older women: a randomized, controlled trialNahid A Azad
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:874-5. 2006