Genomes and Genes
P R Albert
Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Diacylglycerol and ceramide formation induced by dopamine D2S receptors via Gbeta gamma -subunits in Balb/c-3T3 cellsGele Liu
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284:C640-8. 2003..Both D2 agonists and ceramide specifically induced mitogen-activated protein kinase (ERK1/2), suggesting that ceramide mediates a novel pathway of D2S-induced ERK1/2 activation, leading to cell growth...
- The mental retardation gene CC2D1A/Freud-1 encodes a long isoform that binds conserved DNA elements to repress gene transcriptionAnastasia Rogaeva
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 26:965-74. 2007..Disruption of transcriptional regulation by mutation of Freud-1 may play a role in abnormal brain function leading to mental retardation...
- Cell-type specific induction of tryptophan hydroxylase-2 transcription by calcium mobilizationFederico Remes Lenicov
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 103:2047-57. 2007..These results are the first to identify calcium-mediated regulation of the proximal TPH2 promoter as critical for cell-specific TPH2 expression...
- Transcriptional dys-regulation in anxiety and major depression: 5-HT1A gene promoter architecture as a therapeutic opportunityPaul R Albert
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5
Curr Pharm Des 20:3738-50. 2014....
- Modifying 5-HT1A Receptor Gene Expression as a New Target for Antidepressant TherapyPaul R Albert
Department of Neuroscience, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa Ottawa, ON, Canada
Front Neurosci 4:35. 2010....
- The neurobiology of depression--revisiting the serotonin hypothesis. II. Genetic, epigenetic and clinical studiesPaul R Albert
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 368:20120535. 2013....
- Transcriptional regulation of the 5-HT1A receptor: implications for mental illnessPaul R Albert
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1H 8M5
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 367:2402-15. 2012..Targeted therapeutics to inhibit 5-HT(1A) autoreceptor expression and induce 5-HT(1A) heteroreceptor expression may ameliorate treatment of anxiety and major depression...
- Receptor signaling and structure: insights from serotonin-1 receptorsP R Albert
Ottawa Health Research Institute, 451 Smyth Road, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:453-60. 2001..Structural determination of 5-HT1 receptor and G-protein domains that mediate G-protein-specific coupling and desensitization could lead to the development of highly selective ligands that directly regulate receptor-G-protein coupling...
- G protein specificity: traffic direction requiredPaul R Albert
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, K1H 8M5, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Cell Signal 14:407-18. 2002..By identifying G protein specificity for individual receptor signaling pathways, ligands targeted to disrupt individual pathways of a given receptor could be developed...
- G protein preferences for dopamine D2 inhibition of prolactin secretion and DNA synthesis in GH4 pituitary cellsPaul R Albert
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Department of Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
Mol Endocrinol 16:1903-11. 2002..These results demonstrate distinct receptor-G protein preferences for inhibition of TRH-induced PRL secretion and DNA synthesis...
- Constitutive G(i2)-dependent activation of adenylyl cyclase type II by the 5-HT1A receptor. Inhibition by anxiolytic partial agonistsP R Albert
Neuroscience Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
J Biol Chem 274:35469-74. 1999..g. buspirone and flesinoxan) but was not altered by full agonists or antagonists. Thus, anxiolytic activity may involve inhibition of spontaneous 5-HT1A receptor activity...
- Transcriptional dysregulation of 5-HT1A autoreceptors in mental illnessPaul R Albert
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8M5, Canada
Mol Brain 4:21. 2011....
- A putative alpha-helical G beta gamma-coupling domain in the second intracellular loop of the 5-HT1A receptorP R Albert
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada
Ann N Y Acad Sci 861:146-61. 1998..If confirmed in other receptors, these results support a general model in which activated receptor and G beta gamma subunits remain associated to interact with effectors in a receptor-specific manner...
- Heterodimerization of mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors at a novel negative response element of the 5-HT1A receptor geneX M Ou
Neuroscience Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 276:14299-307. 2001..These data represent the first identification of an nMRE/GRE and indicate that heterodimerization of MR and GR mediates direct corticosteroid-induced transrepression of the 5-HT1A receptor promoter...
- Dopamine-D2S receptor inhibition of calcium influx, adenylyl cyclase, and mitogen-activated protein kinase in pituitary cells: distinct Galpha and Gbetagamma requirementsBehzad Banihashemi
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Neuroscience, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5
Mol Endocrinol 16:2393-404. 2002....
- Homology cloning of cDNA or genomic DNAP R Albert
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2001..This unit describes conditions that have been used to clone and identify novel genes and cDNA clones using low-stringency hybridization of known probes to membranes that contain libraries of bacterial or bacteriophage DNA...
- Growth hormone-induced diacylglycerol and ceramide formation via Galpha i3 and Gbeta gamma in GH4 pituitary cells. Potentiation by dopamine-D2 receptor activationGele Liu
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Neuroscience 451 Smyth Road, Room 2464, University of Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
J Biol Chem 277:48427-33. 2002..We conclude that in GH(4) pituitary cells, GH induces formation of DAG/ceramide via a novel Galpha(i)3/Gbetagamma-dependent pathway. This novel pathway suggests a mechanism for autocrine feedback regulation by GH of pituitary function...
- GAP1(IP4BP)/RASA3 mediates Galphai-induced inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinaseHouman Nafisi
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:35908-17. 2008..Our results provide a novel mechanism for dopamine D2S-induced inhibition of ERK1/2 and indicate that RASA3 links Galphai proteins to inhibit Gq-induced Ras/ERK1/2 activation...
- Differential signaling of dopamine-D2S and -D2L receptors to inhibit ERK1/2 phosphorylationIrit Itzhaki Van-Ham
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 102:1796-804. 2007..In conclusion, the D(2)S and D(2)L receptors differ in inhibitory signaling to ERK1/2 due to specific residues in the D(2)L receptor alternatively spliced domain, which may account for differences in their function in vivo...
- COMT polymorphism modulates the resting-state EEG alpha oscillatory response to acute nicotine in male non-smokersH Bowers
Department of Psychology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Genes Brain Behav 14:466-76. 2015..The data tentatively suggest that interindividual differences in brain α oscillations and their response to nicotinic agonist treatment are influenced by genetic mechanisms involving COMT. ..
- Brain derived neurotrophic factor, cardiopulmonary fitness and cognition in patients with coronary artery diseaseW Swardfager
Neuropsychopharmacology Research Group, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brain Behav Immun 25:1264-71. 2011..To assess serum brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) concentrations as a correlate of cardiopulmonary fitness and as a predictor of cognitive performance in subjects with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- APAF1 is a key transcriptional target for p53 in the regulation of neuronal cell deathA Fortin
Ottawa Health Research Institute - Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H-8M5, Canada
J Cell Biol 155:207-16. 2001..Together, these results demonstrate that Apaf1 is a key transcriptional target for p53 that plays a pivotal role in the regulation of apoptosis after neuronal injury...
- TNFAIP8: a new effector for Galpha(i) coupling to reduce cell death and induce cell transformationBenoit Laliberte
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Cell Physiol 225:865-74. 2010..The data suggest that Gαi-TNFAIP8-mediated rescue of pre-oncogenic cells enhances progression to oncogenic transformation, providing a selective target to inhibit cellular transformation...
- Impaired repression at a 5-hydroxytryptamine 1A receptor gene polymorphism associated with major depression and suicideSylvie Lemonde
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, Department of Medicine, Ottawa, Canada, K1H 8M5
J Neurosci 23:8788-99. 2003..We suggest a novel transcriptional model in which the G(-1019) allele derepresses 5-HT1A autoreceptor expression to reduce serotonergic neurotransmission, predisposing to depression and suicide...
- Differential desensitization of dopamine D2 receptor isoforms by protein kinase C: the importance of receptor phosphorylation and pseudosubstrate sitesStephen J Morris
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Canada K1H 8M5
Eur J Pharmacol 577:44-53. 2007..Thus the relative location of phosphorylation and pseudosubstrate sites provides an important determinant substrate sensitivity to PKC...
- Coupling of 5-HT1A autoreceptors to inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase activation via G beta gamma subunit signalingNeena Kushwaha
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neurosciences and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5
Eur J Neurosci 21:721-32. 2005..Thus, the i2-domain of the 5-HT1A autoreceptor is crucial for coupling to G beta gamma subunits and their subsequent responses (e.g. calcium mobilization and inhibition of MAPK activity)...
- RGS17/RGSZ2, a novel regulator of Gi/o, Gz, and Gq signalingHelen Mao
Department of Neuroscience, Ottawa Health Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:26314-22. 2004..Differences observed between in vitro GAP assays and whole-cell signaling suggest additional determinants of the G-protein specificity of RGS GAP effects that could include receptors and effectors...
- Molecular determinants in the second intracellular loop of the 5-hydroxytryptamine-1A receptor for G-protein couplingNeena Kushwaha
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience, and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1H 8M5
Mol Pharmacol 69:1518-26. 2006..Thus, the 5-HT1A receptor Ci2 domain determines Gbetagamma specificity and stabilizes Galphai-mediated signaling...
- Differential repression by freud-1/CC2D1A at a polymorphic site in the dopamine-D2 receptor geneAnastasia Rogaeva
Ottawa Health Research Institute Neuroscience and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:20897-905. 2007..Allele-specific regulation of DRD2 expression by Freud-1 may possibly associate with psychiatric disorders or mental retardation...
- Forskolin-resistant Y1 adrenal cell mutants are deficient in adenylyl cyclase type 4Abdallah Al-Hakim
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1L6
Mol Cell Endocrinol 214:155-65. 2004..Taken together, these observations indicate that AC-4 deficiency is a hallmark of the forskolin-resistant phenotype of these mutants and suggest that AC-4 is an important target of forskolin action in the Y1 adrenal cell line...
- Expression of adenylyl cyclase-4 (AC-4) in Y1 and forskolin-resistant adrenal cellsXianliang Rui
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, 112 College Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1L6
Mol Cell Endocrinol 215:101-8. 2004....
- Dopamine-D2-mediated inhibition of TRH-induced PLC activation in pituitary cells-direct or indirect?Paul R Albert
Endocrinology 143:744-6. 2002
- RGS17/RGSZ2 and the RZ/A family of regulators of G-protein signalingCaroline Nunn
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada, N6A 5C1
Semin Cell Dev Biol 17:390-9. 2006..The tissue and brain distribution, and the evolving understanding of the roles of this family of RGS proteins in receptor signaling and brain function are highlighted...