Genomes and Genes
University of Toronto
Organization: University of Toronto
- Patient perceptions of remote monitoring for nocturnal home hemodialysisJoseph A Cafazzo
Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hemodial Int 14:471-7. 2010..However, RPM alone is likely insufficient to alter patients' attitudes to undergo NHHD. RPM is a common expectation of CHD patients considering the therapy, at a minimum during the transitional phase...
- Post-dialysis "pre-dialysis" care: the cart before the horse--advanced practice nurse intervention and impact on modality selectionDiane Watson
University Health Network, Toronto, ON
CANNT J 18:30-3. 2008..In the first 26 months of this role, the percentage of patients who started dialysis acutely and who stayed on incentre hemodialysis (HD) decreased from 87% to 33%, and the percentage who chose home dialysis increased from 13% to 67%...
- Mice lacking the transcription factor Ikaros display behavioral alterations of an anti-depressive phenotypeTim Rasmus Kiehl
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Exp Neurol 211:107-14. 2008....
- Imaging of the intracranial venous systemRonit Agid
Department of Medical Imaging, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neurologist 14:12-22. 2008..DSA also suffers from the limitations of 2-dimensional planar imaging. For these reasons, noninvasive imaging techniques are playing a greater role in evaluation of the intracranial venous system...
- Dedicated multidisciplinary pain management centres for children in Canada: the current statusPhilip Peng
Wasser Pain Management Centre, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Anaesth 54:985-91. 2007..The objective of this study was to examine the services currently offered by multidisciplinary pain treatment facilities (MPTFs) dedicated for pediatric chronic pain management across Canada...
- Surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma and early diagnosisMorris Sherman
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Liver Dis 11:817-37, viii. 2007..Such an approach has the potential to convert HCC from a disease in which incidence more or less equaled mortality to one in which cure is frequently possible...
- Gender differences in depression and chronic pain conditions in a national epidemiologic surveySarah E P Munce
University Health Network, Women s Health Program, 200 Elizabeth St, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Psychosomatics 48:394-9. 2007..3% in those without. Women reported higher rates of chronic pain conditions and depression and higher pain severity than men. Depression and chronic pain conditions represent significant sources of disability, especially for women...
- A preclinical and clinical rationale for quetiapine in mood syndromesRoger S McIntyre
University of Toronto, Department of Psychiatry, Toronto, ON, Canada
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1211-9. 2007..The in vitro pharmacodynamic profile of quetiapine is predictive of antidepressant activity in mood syndromes. Available clinical evidence has established quetiapine as an effective monotherapy in bipolar depression...
- Cone-beam computed tomography for on-line image guidance of lung stereotactic radiotherapy: localization, verification, and intrafraction tumor positionThomas G Purdie
Department of Radiation Physics, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:243-52. 2007..Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) in-room imaging allows accurate inter- and intrafraction target localization in stereotactic body radiotherapy of lung tumors...
- Perturbative diffusion theory formalism for interpreting temporal light intensity changes during laser interstitial thermal therapyLee C L Chin
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto M5G 2M9, Canada
Phys Med Biol 52:1659-74. 2007..This work provides an improved understanding of interstitial optical signal changes during LITT and indicates the sensitivity and potential of interstitial optical monitoring of thermal damage...
- Sabbatical journey of discovery: quality systems, interprofessional education and innovationMary Ferguson-Pare
University Health Network, Toronto, ON
Nurs Leadersh (Tor Ont) 19:14-6. 2006
- Focus on clinical best practices, patient safety and operational efficiencyBrenda Laurie-Shaw
University Health Network
Healthc Q 10:50-6, 4. 2006..Nursing's involvement and their experiences are analyzed...
- Review of treatment trials in human spinal cord injury: issues, difficulties, and recommendationsCharles H Tator
Division of Neurosurgery, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, Suite 4W 433, Toronto, ON M5T 2S8, Canada
Neurosurgery 59:957-82; discussion 982-7. 2006..The review aims to provide useful information for the improvement of future trials. The review audience includes practitioners, researchers, and consumers...
- The role of the psychologist in adult congenital heart diseaseAdrienne H Kovacs
Cardiac Psychology, Division of Cardiology, University Health Network, 399 Bathurst Street, 1 West 414, Toronto, ON M5T 2N2, Canada
Cardiol Clin 24:607-18, vi. 2006..Considerations for incorporating psychology into ACHD teams are presented...
- Quality of life in epilepsySonia Poochikian-Sarkissian
University of Toronto, ON
Can J Neurosci Nurs 29:20-5. 2007..We will introduce the concept of illness intrusiveness in epilepsy that reflects disease- and treatment-induced lifestyle disruptions that compromise QOL...
- Nuclear E-cadherin immunoexpression: from biology to potential applications in diagnostic pathologyRunjan Chetty
Department of Pathology, University Health Network University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Adv Anat Pathol 15:234-40. 2008..The exact mechanism by which E-cadherin enters the nucleus is not known but it is likely that it is closely related to several partner molecules such as beta-catenin, p120, and presenilin-1...
- Salvage chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation are inferior for relapsed or refractory primary mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma compared with diffuse large B-cell lymphomaJohn Kuruvilla
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Leuk Lymphoma 49:1329-36. 2008..Strategies for PMLCL should focus on identifying poor risk patients to test novel induction and salvage strategies...
- Frequency and correlates of gambling problems in outpatients with major depressive disorder and bipolar disorderSidney H Kennedy
University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 55:568-76. 2010....
- CKS1B nuclear expression is inversely correlated with p27Kip1 expression and is predictive of an adverse survival in patients with multiple myelomaHong Chang
Department of Laboratory Hematology, University Health Network, 200 Elizabeth Street, 11E 413 Toronto, ON, M5G 2C4
Haematologica 95:1542-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to correlate nuclear CKS1B protein immunoreactivity, 1q21 amplification status, p27(Kip1) expression and survival in patients with newly-diagnosed multiple myeloma...
- Verification of source and collimator configuration for Gamma Knife Perfexion using panoramic imagingYoung Bin Cho
Department of Radiation Physics, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G2M9, Canada
Med Phys 37:1325-31. 2010..In addition, the method was extended to make dose measurements and verify the accuracy of dose distributions calculated by the mathematical formalism used in the treatment planning system, Leksell Gamma Plan...
- Lapatinib and HER2 status: results of a meta-analysis of randomized phase III trials in metastatic breast cancerEitan Amir
Division of Medical Oncology, University of Toronto and Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cancer Treat Rev 36:410-5. 2010..Consequently, clinical testing of lapatinib has been carried out in both HER2-positive and HER2-negative patients. Here we evaluate the clinical efficacy of lapatinib in HER2-positive and HER2-negative patients...
- Variations of lung density and geometry on inhomogeneity correction algorithms: a Monte Carlo dosimetric evaluationJames C L Chow
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
Med Phys 36:3619-30. 2009..1. This study provides new dosimetric data to evaluate the impact of the variations of rhoe,lung and geometry on dose calculations in inhomogeneous media using CCC and AC...
- Usefulness of the INTERMACS scale to predict outcomes after mechanical assist device implantationAna C Alba
Division of Cardiology and Heart Transplant, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Heart Lung Transplant 28:827-33. 2009..This study assessed the usefulness of the INTERMACS scale to predict outcomes in advanced heart failure patients undergoing mechanical circulatory support (MCS)...
- Outcomes and quality of care in acute myeloid leukemia over 40 yearsShabbir M H Alibhai
Department of Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 115:2903-11. 2009..Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is associated with a poor prognosis, particularly in older patients. To the authors' knowledge, few population-based studies of AML treatment patterns and outcomes exist to date...
- Role of MRI for staging of rectal cancerKartik S Jhaveri
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 9:469-81. 2009..The evaluation of nodal metastases remains a challenge with routine MRI. In this review, we describe the role of MRI in staging rectal cancer as well as highlight some limitations and recent advances to overcome these...
- Depth dependence of electron backscatter: an energy spectral and dosimetry study using Monte Carlo simulationJames C L Chow
Department of Radiation Physics, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
Med Phys 36:594-601. 2009....
- Update on anesthetic management for pneumonectomyPeter Slinger
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:31-7. 2009..Pneumonectomy has the highest perioperative risk among common pulmonary resections. The purpose of this review is to update clinicians on the importance of anesthetic management for these patients...
- A decision tool to support appropriate referral for deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's diseaseElena Moro
Movement Disorders Center, University of Toronto, UHN, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, 7MCL 7 402, Toronto ON M5T 2S8, Canada
J Neurol 256:83-8. 2009..We developed an electronic decision tool that can assist neurologists in deciding which PD patients should be referred for DBS consideration...
- The role of lymphadenectomy in esophageal cancerGail Darling
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Surg Oncol 99:189-93. 2009..10-0.20. More extensive lymph node dissection during esophagectomy offers improved staging but may also provide therapeutic benefit in terms of control of locoregional disease and possibly improved overall survival...
- The pharmacokinetic profile of recombinant human erythropoietin is unchanged in patients undergoing cardiac surgeryStuart A McCluskey
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Eaton North 3 405, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:273-9. 2009..In anticipation of future studies, we examined the pharmacokinetics profile of erythropoietin (EPO) in patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Absence of FTL3 mutations in patients with JAK2V617F mutation negative essential thrombocythemiaBruno C Medeiros
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hematol 82:293-4. 2007....
- Aortic arch atheroma: stroke reduction in cardiac surgical patientsGeorge N Djaiani
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 10:143-57. 2006....
- Aortic root replacement in patients with previous heart surgeryTirone E David
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery of Toronto General Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Card Surg 19:325-8. 2004..The objective was to review the operative risk and outcomes of redo aortic root replacement...
- Significant variation exists in home care services following total joint arthroplastyNizar N Mahomed
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 31:973-5. 2004..To determine a preliminary profile of the variation in rehabilitation and home care services for patients with total joint arthroplasty (TJA) in Ontario in 2001...
- Living-donor right hepatectomy with or without inclusion of middle hepatic vein: comparison of morbidity and outcome in 56 patientsMark S Cattral
Department of Surgery, Multiorgan Transplantation Program, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 4:751-7. 2004..We conclude that including the MHV with living-donor right lobe grafts can be performed safely in most donors...
- Management of local recurrence of breast cancerAlexandra M Easson
University of Toronto, Department of Surgical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 4:219-26. 2004....
- Does it matter what a hospital is "high volume" for? Specificity of hospital volume-outcome associations for surgical procedures: analysis of administrative dataDavid R Urbach
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, 9EN 236A, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
BMJ 328:737-40. 2004..To determine whether the improved outcome of a surgical procedure in high volume hospitals is specific to the volume of the same procedure...
- Prevalence and treatment of cephalic arch stenosis in dysfunctional autogenous hemodialysis fistulasDheeraj K Rajan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:567-73. 2003..Cephalic arch stenosis (CAS) is a recently recognized cause of dysfunction in autogenous hemodialysis fistulas. The prevalence of this lesion among dysfunctional autogenous fistulas is described, as are outcomes after percutaneous therapy...
- Physical symptoms of depression: unmet needs in special populationsDonna E Stewart
University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 64:12-6. 2003..Because of a dual mechanism of action, medications such as duloxetine and venlafaxine may be useful in treating the physical symptoms as well as depressive symptoms in these special populations...
- The effect of smoking on tumour oxygenation and treatment outcome in cervical cancerA Fyles
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 14:442-6. 2002..We hypothesized that there is an association between smoking and tumour hypoxia, and that smoking adversely affects radiation response and survival...
- Hemodialysis infection prevention with polysporin ointmentCharmaine E Lok
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:169-79. 2003..The prophylactic application of topical Polysporin Triple antibiotic ointment to the central venous catheter insertion site reduced the rate of infections and was associated with improved survival in hemodialysis patients...
- Phase II study of sequential topotecan and etoposide in patients with intermediate grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group studyMichael Crump
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Leuk Lymphoma 43:1581-7. 2002..Other doses and schedules combining topo I and II inhibitors, or topo I inhibitors with alkylating agents, should be explored with the addition of hematopoietic growth factors in this patient population...
- Lifestyle interference and emotional distress in family caregivers of advanced cancer patientsJill I Cameron
University of Toronto, Women s Health Program, University Health Network, ON, Canada
Cancer 94:521-7. 2002..The mediation of lifestyle interference between the amount of care provided and emotional distress was specifically examined...
- Asymptomatic lingual tonsillar hypertrophy and difficult airway management: a report of three casesS Davies
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 48:1020-4. 2001..To report on the airway management of three cases of asymptomatic lingual tonsillar hypertrophy (LTH)...
- Intratumoral sickling in a patient with cervix cancer and sickle trait: effect on blood flow and oxygenationM Milosevic
Department of Radiation Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2M9, Canada
Gynecol Oncol 83:428-31. 2001..This report provides the first conclusive evidence that erythrocytes in patients with sickle trait may sickle in the microvasculature of solid tumors, leading to impaired perfusion and hypoxia...
- Pancreatic endocrine pathology in von Hippel-Lindau disease: an expanding spectrum of lesionsRunjan Chetty
Department of Pathology, University Health Network Toronto Medical Laboratories, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON M5G 2M9, Canada
Endocr Pathol 15:141-8. 2004..In addition, the endocrine lesions were composed of two main cell types (typical and oncocytic cells) with the oncocytic component invading lymphatic channels and spreading to regional lymph nodes...
- Development and pilot testing of a psychoeducational intervention for oral cancer patientsMark R Katz
Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network Toronto General Hospital Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychooncology 13:642-53. 2004..Oral cancer elicits considerable distress in both the pre and post-treatment periods. This paper details the development, validation and pilot-testing of a psychoeducational intervention for oral cancer patients...
- The growing volume of diabetes-related dialysis: a population based studyCharmaine E Lok
Division of Nephrology, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:3098-103. 2004..The aim of this large, observational study is to describe the population-based incidence and prevalence rates and outcomes of diabetic individuals in Ontario, Canada who require dialysis therapy...
- Patient-controlled oral analgesia: a low-tech solution in a high-tech worldPatti Kastanias
Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Pain Manag Nurs 7:126-32. 2006..Network, a large tri-site teaching hospital in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada, affiliated with the University of Toronto. This philosophy underpins the concept of PCOA as it has been successfully operationalized in a unique ..
- Concordance between discharge prescriptions and insurance claims in post-myocardial infarction patientsCynthia A Jackevicius
University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:207-15. 2007..To assess the degree of concordance between the information (drug quantity, days' supply, and daily dose) recorded on hospital discharge prescriptions and what appears in a public drug insurance electronic claims database...
- A novel four-dimensional radiotherapy method for lung cancer: imaging, treatment planning and deliveryH Alasti
Department of Radiation Physics, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Phys Med Biol 51:3251-67. 2006..The motions of the chest cavity, tumour and thoracic structures of 24 lung cancer patients are also analysed...
- Continuous flow peritoneal dialysis: ideal peritoneal dialysis or second-rate hemodialysis?Joanne M Bargman
University Health Network and University of Toronto, Canada
Contrib Nephrol 150:321-5. 2006..Since the original description of continuous flow PD (CFPD) by Shinaberger, there has been interest in the utility of this modality to augment small solute clearances in those on PD...
- The stability of mechanical calibration for a kV cone beam computed tomography system integrated with linear acceleratorMichael B Sharpe
Princess Margaret Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
Med Phys 33:136-44. 2006..Based on these results, the mechanical accuracy and precision of the system are ideal for supporting high-precision localization and treatment of soft-tissue targets...
- Brief communication: a new combination in the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancerMalcolm J Moore
Department of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Oncol 32:5-6. 2005..Our group recently reported that the combination of gemcitabine with erlotinib was associated with a significant prolongation of survival and improvement in progression-free survival in advanced pancreatic cancer...
- Are symptoms reliable as an indication for the necessity of bone scans in lung cancer metastases?Rebecca Wong
Princess Margaret Hospital, and Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 1:18-9. 2004
- Placebo-controlled trial of agomelatine in the treatment of major depressive disorderS H Kennedy
University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16:93-100. 2006..These results support the prescription of agomelatine 25 mg as the usual therapeutic dose, and suggest that increasing the dose to 50 mg may be beneficial for some patients without reducing tolerability...
- Baseline comorbidity in kidney transplant recipients: a comparison of comorbidity indicesSarbjit V Jassal
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 46:136-42. 2005..Our objective is to report baseline comorbidity and compare the use of different indices for recipients of kidneys from both deceased and living donors...
- Portuguese-speaking women voice their opinions: using their words to teach about wife abusePaula C Barata
University Health Network Women s Health Program, Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Womens Health Issues 15:134-44. 2005..The goals were to determine the breadth of definitions and to examine cultural stereotyping. This information was sought in an effort to design education strategies in the Portuguese-speaking community...
- Rate of elective cholecystectomy and the incidence of severe gallstone diseaseDavid R Urbach
The Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 172:1015-9. 2005..We sought to determine whether this increase has resulted in a reduction in the incidence of severe complications of gallstone disease...
- Immunohistochemistry accurately predicts FGFR3 aberrant expression and t(4;14) in multiple myelomaHong Chang
Department of Laboratory Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network, McLaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Blood 106:353-5. 2005..001), a shorter progression-free survival (median, 11.5 versus 25.8 months; P < .001), and a shorter overall survival (median, 19.2 versus 46.3 months; P < .001)...
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage in warfarin users treated with nonselective NSAIDs or COX-2 inhibitorsMarisa Battistella
University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 165:189-92. 2005..We examined the association between the concomitant use of warfarin and nonselective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or selective COX-2 inhibitors in older adults hospitalized for upper GI hemorrhage...
- Creation of a software application for the clinical radiologistS J Herman
University of Toronto, Canada
J Digit Imaging 14:197-8. 2001..To create a software application that automates a significant portion of a clinical radiologist's work...
- TOSCA-2 An Angiographic Substudy of the Occluded Arter*Vladimir Dzavik; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Data Coordinating Center (DCC) is the Maryland Medical Research Institute, the DCC of OAT. The An2iogiraphic Core Laboratory is at the University of British Columbia. ..
- Acute Pharmacotherapy of Unipolar Psychotic DepressionAlastair Flint; Fiscal Year: 2006..Remitted subjects are also followed during stabilization to determine the stability of remission and predictors of clinical and functional deterioration. ..
- Dynamic multi-organ anatomical models for hypofractionated RT design and deliveryKristy Brock; Fiscal Year: 2010..This enhanced patient model will allow improved accuracy in the design and implementation of treatment. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer PrognosisGeoffrey Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the proposed studies address directly a prioritized research area identified by the NCI Stomach and Esophageal Cancers Progress Review Group (Year 2002). ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaAllan Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The diagnostic and genetic data and lymphoblastoid cell lines (derived from blood samples) will become part of a national archival resource for genetic studies of AN through the NIMH Genetics Initiative. ..
- FLUOXETINE AFTER WEIGHT RESTORATION IN ANOREXIA NERVOSAAllan Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Outcome will be assessed on the basis of maintenance of weight and reduction in psychopathological symptoms characteristic of AN. ..
- Immunomodulation of Pancreatic Islets by Adenoviral Gen*Mark Cattral; Fiscal Year: 2003..The combination of molecular biological, immunological, adenoviral vector construction and transfection, and islet transplantation methods are in place. ..
- PHAGOCYTE FAS/FASL SYSTEM IN ACUTE INFLAMMATIONW Liles; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..