Genomes and Genes
University of Alberta
Organization: University of Alberta
- The construct validity of the health utilities index mark 3 in assessing health status in lung transplantationMaria Jose Santana
Lung Transplant Program, 2E4, 31 Walter C, Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, T6G2B7, Alberta, Canada
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:110. 2010..To assess the cross-sectional construct validity of the Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) in lung transplantation...
- Chloride uptake and base secretion in freshwater fish: a transepithelial ion-transport metabolon?Martin Tresguerres
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T5G 2E9, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 79:981-96. 2006..Our model is based on analyses of structure-function relationships, reinterpretation of previous results, and novel observations about gill cell subtypes and immunolocalization of the V-H+ -ATPase...
- Assessing sensory function in locomotor systems using neuro-mechanical simulationsKeir Pearson
Department of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, T6G 2H7, Canada
Trends Neurosci 29:625-31. 2006..The widespread implementation of this approach would be enhanced by the development of freely available and easy-to-use software tools...
- The phylogenetic structure of a neotropical forest tree communitySteven W Kembel
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G2E9, Canada
Ecology 87:S86-99. 2006..Future studies will need to include information on species traits in order to explain the variation in phylogenetic structure among habitats in tropical forests...
- Proton spectral editing for discrimination of lactate and threonine 1.31 ppm resonances in human brain in vivoChangho Choi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Magn Reson Med 56:660-5. 2006..Using the calculated yields, the concentrations of Lac and Thr in the human occipital cortex were estimated to be 0.47+/-0.07 and 0.56+/-0.06 mM (mean+/-SD, N=7), respectively, with reference to Cr at 8 mM...
- Frequency of apnea, bradycardia, and desaturations following first diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis-inactivated polio-Haemophilus influenzae type B immunization in hospitalized preterm infantsJackie Lee
Stollery Children s Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
BMC Pediatr 6:20. 2006..The effect of the recent substitution of acellular pertussis vaccine for whole cell pertussis vaccine on the frequency of these events requires further study...
- Paediatric Investigators Collaborative Network on Infections in Canada (PICNIC) study of aseptic meningitisBonita E Lee
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 6:68. 2006..The seasonality, clinical and radiographic features and outcome of aseptic meningitis have been described for regional outbreaks but data from a wider geographic area is necessary to delineate the epidemiology of this condition...
- The effect of seat belt use on the cervical electromyogram response to whiplash-type impactsShrawan Kumar
Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:115-25. 2006....
- Evidence-based practice and the professionalization of dental hygieneSandra J Cobban
Dental Hygiene Program, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Int J Dent Hyg 2:152-60. 2004..This paper compares the assumptions and challenges of both movements, and argues the need for a principal focus on the development of a culture of evidence-based dental hygiene practice...
- Expression of HBcAg mutant with long internal deletion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and observation of its self-assembly particles by atomic force microscopy (AFM)Heng Chen
School of Life Sciences, Shanghai University, Shanghai 200444, PR China
Int J Biol Macromol 37:239-48. 2005..These initial results above by AFM analysis were very important for further research on the self-assembly, ultrastructure, subunit interaction and core internal deletion mutant (CIDM) function of HBcAg core particles...
- Can psychiatry prevent suicide? Not yet!Angus H Thompson
Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Psychiatry 50:509-11. 2005
- Skiing and snowboarding injuriesBrent Hagel
Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, 4075 RTF, 8308 114 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E1, Canada
Med Sport Sci 48:74-119. 2005..To critically examine the literature on skiing and snowboarding injuries in children and adolescents...
- Bordetella pertussis risA, but not risS, is required for maximal expression of Bvg-repressed genesTrevor H Stenson
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Alberta, 1 69 Medical Sciences Bldg, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
Infect Immun 73:5995-6004. 2005..Deletion of the intact part of the B. pertussis risS gene does not affect the expression of risA-dependent, Bvg-repressed genes. These observations suggest that RisA activation occurs through cross-regulation by a heterologous system...
- Representation and working memory in early arithmeticCarmen Rasmussen
Centre for Research in Child Development, Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E9
J Exp Child Psychol 91:137-57. 2005..Assessing performance on different components of working memory in conjunction with different types of arithmetic problems provided new insights into the developing relations between working memory and how children do arithmetic...
- A view of nursing epistemology through reciprocal interdependence: towards a reflexive way of knowingNicole Y Pitre
Clinical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nurs Philos 8:73-84. 2007....
- Co-morbidity, functionality and time since diagnosis as predictors of physical activity in individuals with type 1 or type 2 diabetesRonald C Plotnikoff
Centre for Health Promotion Studies, School of Public Health Faculty of Physical Education, University of Alberta, 5 10A University Extension Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 78:115-22. 2007....
- High resolution radiation hybrid maps of bovine chromosomes 19 and 29: comparison with the bovine genome sequence assemblyAparna Prasad
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton T6G2P5, Alberta, Canada
BMC Genomics 8:310. 2007..1). We have chosen BTA19 and 29 as candidate chromosomes for mapping, since many Quantitative Trait Loci (QTL) for the traits of carcass merit and residual feed intake have been identified on these chromosomes...
- Control of leaf and vein development by auxinEnrico Scarpella
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton AB, Canada
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2:a001511. 2010..These feedbacks may facilitate the iterative generation of basic modules that underlies morphogenesis of both leaves and vasculature...
- Risk factors for recurrence of autoimmune hepatitis after liver transplantationAldo J Montano-Loza
Division of Gastroenterology and Liver Unit, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Liver Transpl 15:1254-61. 2009..These findings suggest that recurrence of autoimmune hepatitis may reflect incomplete suppression of disease activity prior to liver transplantation...
- Rationalization of indigenous male circumcision as a sacred religious custom: health beliefs of Xhosa men in South AfricaThandisizwe Redford Mavundla
University of Alberta
J Transcult Nurs 20:395-404. 2009..The country has experienced serious problems associated with the practice of this rite ranging from dehydration to death in the traditional "bush" circumcision schools. A qualitative, endogenous research..
- The impact of early hypoglycemia and blood glucose variability on outcome in critical illnessSean M Bagshaw
Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, University of Alberta, 8440 112 ST NW Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Crit Care 13:R91. 2009..We describe the incidence, clinical factors and outcomes associated with an early hypoglycemia and BG variability in critically ill patients...
- Empirical treatment of community-acquired pneumonia and the development of fluoroquinolone-resistant tuberculosisRichard Long
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
Clin Infect Dis 48:1354-60. 2009..BACKGROUND" Fluoroquinolone (FLQ) antibiotics are not uncommonly prescribed for community-acquired pneumonia that is later proven to be pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). Such FLQ monotherapy may result in FLQ-resistant pulmonary TB...
- Case series: ultrasound-guided supraclavicular block using a curvilinear probe in 104 day-case hand surgery patientsBan C H Tsui
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta Hospitals, 8 120 Clinical Sciences Building, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2G3
Can J Anaesth 56:46-51. 2009..To report our experiences regarding the implementation of a combined ultrasound and nerve stimulation guidance technique for supraclavicular blockade in day-case hand surgery patients at our institution...
- A proposed clinical staging system for obesityA M Sharma
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Int J Obes (Lond) 33:289-95. 2009..It is anticipated that this system, when used together with the present anthropometric classification, will provide a simple framework to aid decision making in clinical practice...
- P2X(3) expression is not altered by lingual nerve injuryJames E Biggs
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, UK
Neurosci Lett 441:110-4. 2008..Overall, this study suggests that P2X(3) expression at these sites is not involved in the development of neuropathic pain following lingual nerve injury...
- Does perceptual learning in speech reflect changes in phonetic category representation or decision bias?Constance M Clarke-Davidson
University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York, USA
Percept Psychophys 70:604-18. 2008..In Experiment 2, we used a task that is less likely to induce a decision bias. Results of both experiments and signal detection analyses point to a true change in phonetic representation...
- A population-based survey of beliefs about neck pain from whiplash injury, work-related neck pain, and work-related upper extremity painGeoff P Bostick
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Eur J Pain 13:300-4. 2009..Beliefs about pain conditions appear to influence recovery in a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. Little is known about population beliefs about neck and arm pain...
- A flax fibre proteome: identification of proteins enriched in bast fibresNaomi S C Hotte
Department of Biological Sciences, Edmonton, T6G 2E9, Canada
BMC Plant Biol 8:52. 2008....
- Banff 07 classification of renal allograft pathology: updates and future directionsK Solez
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Am J Transplant 8:753-60. 2008....
- The fourth dorsal interosseus pedis muscle: a useful muscle in routine electromyographyZaeem A Siddiqi
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Neurophysiol 24:444-9. 2007..Abnormal SA in FDIP correlates well with the overall neurologic condition, and it may be a useful muscle to include in routine electrodiagnostic evaluation...
- Associations among exercise, body weight, and quality of life in a population-based sample of endometrial cancer survivorsKerry S Courneya
Faculty of Physical Education, University of Alberta, E 424 Van Vliet Center, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H9
Gynecol Oncol 97:422-30. 2005..The primary purpose of this study was to examine the associations among exercise, body weight, and QoL in a population-based sample of endometrial cancer survivors...
- Supporting the well-being of medical studentsVerna Yiu
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
CMAJ 172:889-90. 2005
- Tense and temporality: a comparison between children learning a second language and children with SLIJ Paradis
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Speech Lang Hear Res 43:834-47. 2000..A more specific clinical marker would be more effective in diagnosing disordered populations in a multilingual context...
- The attitude of the general public towards preoperative assessment and risks associated with general anesthesiaP Matthey
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Center, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Can J Anaesth 48:333-9. 2001..To survey the general public's attitude towards preoperative assessment and commonly perceived fears about general anesthesia...
- Vitamin B6 phototoxicity induced by UVA radiationT Maeda
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Arch Dermatol Res 292:562-7. 2000..These findings suggest that UVA-induced vitamin B6 cytotoxicity is caused by toxic photoproducts resulting from irradiated vitamin B6...
- A comparison of ovariectomy models for estrogen studiesS T Davidge
Perinatal Research Centre, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R904-7. 2001..These data indicate the potential for confounding factors to decrease the efficacy of OVX controls...
- Prenatal diagnosis of holoprosencephaly (HPE) in a fetus with a recombinant (18)dup(18q)inv(18)(p11.31q11.2)matN J Leonard
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Prenat Diagn 20:947-9. 2000..31 and q11.2. The karyotype of the fetus was re-interpreted as 46,XX, rec(18)dup(18q)inv(18)(p11.31q11.2)mat. This is the first case of a parental inversion leading to a deficiency of 18p11.31 to 18pter associated with HPE...
- Skeletal muscle metabolism during short-term, high-intensity exercise in prepubertal and pubertal girlsS R Petersen
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H9, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 87:2151-6. 1999..05). Differences in muscle size must be considered when interpreting the unlocalized magnetic resonance spectroscopy data. These results suggest that glycolytic metabolism in physically active children is not maturity dependent...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon metabolism by white rot fungi and oxidation by Coriolopsis gallica UAMH 8260 laccaseM A Pickard
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62271, Mexico
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:3805-9. 1999..gallica laccase with HBT alone, with ABTS alone, and with 1 mM HBT plus 1 mM ABTS. Mass spectra of products obtained from oxidation of anthracene and acenaphthene revealed that the dione derivatives of these compounds were present...
- What do category-specific semantic deficits tell us about the representation of lexical concepts?R G de Almeida
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Brain Lang 68:241-8. 1999..It is argued that this theory can better account for the pattern of performance exhibited by patients with semantic deficits...
- The effect of palmitic acid on lipoprotein cholesterol levels and endogenous cholesterol synthesis in hyperlipidemic subjectsM T Clandinin
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Lipids 34:S121-4. 1999..The results indicate that 16:0 has no effect on serum lipoprotein profiles in the presence of recommended intakes for 18:2n-6...
- Neutrophil defensins induce histamine secretion from mast cells: mechanisms of actionA D Befus
Pulmonary Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Immunol 163:947-53. 1999..Defensins may provide important pathways for communication between neutrophils and mast cells in defenses against microbial agents and in acute inflammatory responses...
- Small bowel review: Part IIA B Thomson
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Gastroenterol 13:37-54. 1999..In preparation for this review, over 500 papers were assessed; some have been selected and reviewed, with a particular focus on presenting clinically useful information for the practising gastroenterologist...
- Chromatin assembly in yeast cell-free extractsM C Schultz
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H7
Methods 17:161-72. 1999..This simple system offers a unique opportunity to analyze chromatin metabolism by a combined biochemical and genetic approach that is not feasible for any other model organism...
- Clinical findings among sexually abused children with and without developmental disabilitiesS Mansell
Department of Educational Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Ment Retard 36:12-22. 1998..Clinical findings among a group of 43 children with and 43 children without developmental disabilities referred for treatment of child sexual abuse were also presented...
- High-resolution multipoint linkage-disequilibrium mapping in the context of a human genome sequenceB Rannala
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 69:159-78. 2001..In this case, the gene would be found by sequencing a region < or =7 kb in size...
- Synthesis and antiviral activity of novel acyclic nucleoside analogues of 5-(1-azido-2-haloethyl)uracilsR Kumar
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton T6G 2H7, Canada
J Med Chem 44:4225-9. 2001..31-1.55 microM) and HCMV (EC(50) = 3.1 microM). None of the compounds investigated showed any detectable toxicity to several stationary and proliferating host cells...
- Framework PEACE: an organizational model for examining physical exercise across the cancer experienceK S Courneya
Faculty of Physical Education, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Ann Behav Med 23:263-72. 2001..It is hoped that Framework PEACE will stimulate a more comprehensive and in-depth inquiry into the role of physical exercise in cancer control...
- Immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplantationPhilip F Halloran
Division of Nephrology and Transplantation Immunology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
N Engl J Med 351:2715-29. 2004
- Lumbar disc degeneration: epidemiology and genetic influencesMichele C Battie
Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2679-90. 2004..A literature review...
- Morbidity and mortality rates in a NOVA SCOTIA First Nations Community, 1996-1999Duncan Webster
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
Can J Public Health 95:369-74. 2004..Despite an abundance of data and analysis of First Nations morbidity and mortality rates, accurate data have not been available to serve the First Nations community in Eastern Canada...
- Nonverbal learning disability: a tutorial for speech-language pathologistsJoanne Volden
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Speech Lang Pathol 13:128-41. 2004....
- Ionic wave propagation along actin filamentsJ A Tuszynski
Department of Physics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2J1, Canada
Biophys J 86:1890-903. 2004..In the general case, we analyze the equation in terms of Fisher-Kolmogoroff modes with both localized and extended wave characteristics. We propose a new signaling mechanism in the cell, especially in neurons...
- The effect of opioid analgesia on exercise test performance in chronic low back painSaifudin Rashiq
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, 3B2 32, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2B7
Pain 106:119-25. 2003..This highlights the complexity of the interaction between pain, analgesia and changes in function...
- Inhaled corticosteroids in the long-term management of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDon D Sin
The Department of Medicine, Pulmonary Division, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Drugs Aging 20:867-80. 2003....
- Resident evaluation of clinical teachers based on teachers' certificationIvan P Steiner
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 10:731-7. 2003..To examine the influence of emergency medicine (EM) certification of clinical teaching faculty on evaluations provided by residents...
- Ca2+ signaling and calcium binding chaperones of the endoplasmic reticulumM Michalak
Department of Biochemistry, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Membrane Protein Research Group, University of Alberta, Alta, T6G 2H7, Edmonton, Canada
Cell Calcium 32:269-78. 2002....
- Intracellular lipid binding proteins of the small intestineLuis B Agellon
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 239:79-82. 2002..In the case of I-FABP, this approach has demonstrated that the complete elimination of this protein in murine intestine does not compromise dietary fat absorption in vivo but is associated with the development of insulin resistance...
- The awareness and use of Canada's Physical Activity Guide to Healthy Active LivingJohn C Spence
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, E 424 Van Vliet, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2H9
Can J Public Health 93:394-6. 2002..e., age, sex, ethnicity, household income, educational level) moderate the awareness and use of the CPAG...
- Compulsory substance abuse treatment: an overview of recent findings and issuesT Cameron Wild
Centre for Health Promotion Studies and Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Eur Addict Res 8:84-93. 2002..Directions for future research are discussed...
- Adaptive changes in locomotor activity following botulinum toxin injection in ankle extensor muscles of catsJ E Misiaszek
Department of Physiology and Division of Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
J Neurophysiol 87:229-39. 2002....
- Culture and meaning: expanding the metaphorical repertoire of family therapyD A Paré
Department of Educational Psychology, University of Alberta, Canada
Fam Process 35:21-42. 1996..This shift in emphasis also extends to individual work, where the therapeutic task is construed as a peace-making between conflicting stories that intersect in the client's life...
- EXERCISE EFFECTS ON QUALITY OF LIFE IN CANCER PATIENTSKerry Courneya; Fiscal Year: 2001..Fitness will be re-assessed immediately after the intervention period. ..
- Recovery of motoneuron excitability after spinal injuryMonica A Gorassini; Fiscal Year: 2010..Once known, then rehabilitative and/or pharmacological interventions that target motoneuron transduction processes can be developed. ..
- Technology for DNA Damage Analysis and BiomarkersX Le; Fiscal Year: 2004..The technology will also be useful for monitoring DNA damage induced by anticancer agents and for studying DNA repair, which is an essential protection mechanism against cancer initiation. ..
- RETROVIRAL ETIOLOGY OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Retrovirus Isolation from Primary Biliary CirrhosisAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Structures of Bacterial Membrane-Bound OxidoreductasesJoel Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Role of TIMAP in Vascular Development and FunctionBARBARA BALLERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2005..The current proposal explores the possibility that TIMAP represents a critical component of a 67LR signaling pathway, and thereby is involved in regulating endothelial cell motility, tube formation, and apoptosis. ..
- NEUROTOXIC MECHANISMS MEDIATED BY LENTIVIRUS-INDUCED PROTEOLYSISChristopher Power; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information derived from this proposal will be applicable to the prevention and treatment of HIV-associated brain disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LENTIVIRUS-INDUCED NEUROPATHY: VIRAL DIVERSITY AND HOST*Christopher Power; Fiscal Year: 2004..From these studies, we expect to gain insights into this common neurological complication in terms of lentivirus-induced neurovirulence and pathogenic host responses. ..
- The malignant stem cell in multiple myelomaLinda Pilarski; Fiscal Year: 2004..This may lead to improvements in therapy and survival for myeloma patients. ..
- PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY IN LENTIVIRUS INFECTIONS: EARLY VIRAL AND HOST DETERMINANTSChristopher Power; Fiscal Year: 2010..Many of the scientific techniques and models to be employed in the experiments described herein are unique to the laboratories of this team of investigators who have worked together for many years. ..