Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Lung clearance index as an outcome measure for clinical trials in young children with cystic fibrosis. A pilot study using inhaled hypertonic salinePadmaja Subbarao
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 188:456-60. 2013....
- A new exposure metric for traffic-related air pollution? An analysis of determinants of hopanes in settled indoor house dustHind Sbihi
School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, 2206 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Environ Health 12:48. 2013..Exposure to traffic-related air pollution (TRAP) can adversely impact health but epidemiologic studies are limited in their abilities to assess long-term exposures and incorporate variability in indoor pollutant infiltration...
- Beta2-agonists for asthma: the pediatric perspectivePadmaja Subbarao
Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 31:209-18. 2006..Finally, the potential detrimental effects of long- and short-acting beta-agonists in infants and children are discussed...
- Effect of ciclesonide dose and duration of therapy on exercise-induced bronchoconstriction in patients with asthmaPadmaja Subbarao
Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:1008-13. 2006..Inhaled corticosteroid therapy improves exercise symptoms in asthmatic subjects...
- Limitations of electronic compensation for measuring plethysmographic airway resistance in infantsPadmaja Subbarao
Portex Respiratory Unit, Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Pulmonol 40:45-52. 2005..The marked within- and between-subject variability in healthy infants, and lack of discriminative power of R(aw) when derived from electronically compensated values, currently preclude application in either clinical or research studies...
- Protection by budesonide and fluticasone on allergen-induced airway responses after discontinuation of therapyPadmaja Subbarao
Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St Joseph s Hospital and McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:745-50. 2005..However, the duration of the protective effects of inhaled steroids after discontinuation of therapy has not been established...
- Age and height dependence of lung clearance index and functional residual capacitySooky Lum
Portex Respiratory Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Eur Respir J 41:1371-7. 2013..Although a constant upper normal limit would suffice for cross-sectional clinical assessments from 6 years of age, appropriate reference equations are essential for accurate interpretation of results during early childhood...
- Hypertonic saline improves the LCI in paediatric patients with CF with normal lung functionReshma Amin
Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Thorax 65:379-83. 2010..Clinical trial number NCT00635141...
- Multiple breath nitrogen washout: a feasible alternative to mass spectrometryRenee Jensen
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e56868. 2013..Current evidence is based on a customized mass spectrometry system that uses sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) as a tracer gas, which is not widely available. Nitrogen (N2) washout may be better suited for clinical use and multi-center trials...
- Alternative outcomes for the multiple breath washout in children with CFSanja Stanojevic
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada Physiology and Experimental Medicine, Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada University of Toronto, Canada Electronic address
J Cyst Fibros 14:490-6. 2015..We aimed to evaluate moment ratios and abbreviated LCI in school-aged children with mild-to-moderate CF lung disease...
- Pilot study of safety and tolerability of inhaled hypertonic saline in infants with cystic fibrosisPadmaja Subbarao
Division of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:471-6. 2007..There was no difference in microbiologic yield between pre- and post-HS throat swabs. In this pilot study, inhalation of HS was well tolerated in CF infants. These results support a study of the efficacy of HS in this age group...
- Beta2-agonist tolerance and exercise-induced bronchospasmRobert J Hancox
Asthma Research Group, Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, McMaster University St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:1068-70. 2002....
- Lung clearance index in cystic fibrosis subjects treated for pulmonary exacerbationsNicole Sonneveld
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada Both authors contributed equally
Eur Respir J 46:1055-64. 2015..9%, 95% CI -1.0- -0.4%).LCI response to therapy for pulmonary exacerbations is heterogeneous in CF patients; the overall effect size is small and results are often discordant with FEV1...
- Changes in multiple breath washout measures after raised volume rapid thoracoabdominal compression maneuvers in infantsPadmaja Subbarao
Department of Pediatrics and Program in Physiology and Experimental Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, SickKids Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 51:183-8. 2016..11 units; P = 0.44). As the RVRTC maneuver affects MBW measurements in infants, the timing of testing procedures needs to be standardized in longitudinal studies. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2016;51:183-188. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Asymmetric dimethylarginine is increased in asthmaJeremy A Scott
Division of Occupational Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:779-85. 2011..It has been suggested that ADMA contributes to inflammation, collagen deposition, nitrosative stress, and lung function in murine models...
- Longitudinal decline in lung volume in a population of children with sickle cell diseaseJoanna E MacLean
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:1055-9. 2008..Sickle cell disease (SCD) results in significant morbidity and mortality attributable to pulmonary complications. The pattern of lung function change across childhood in SCD is not well delineated...
- The chicken or the egg? Perhaps the eggPadmaja Subbarao
Sick Children s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dis Child 93:552-3. 2008
- Comparison of spirometric reference valuesPadmaja Subbarao
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 37:515-22. 2004..Extrapolating reference equations beyond the age range of subjects used to generate then is not recommended...
- The Canadian Healthy Infant Longitudinal Development (CHILD) Study: examining developmental origins of allergy and asthmaPadmaja Subbarao
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Thorax 70:998-1000. 2015..This rich data set, linking prenatal and postnatal environments, diverse biological samples and rigorous phenotyping, will inform early developmental pathways to allergy, asthma and other chronic inflammatory diseases. ..
- Multiple-Breath Washout as a Lung Function Test in Cystic Fibrosis. A Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Workshop ReportPadmaja Subbarao
1 Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Physiology, and Experimental Medicine, The Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Am Thorac Soc 12:932-9. 2015..Based on the current evidence, there are insufficient data to support the use of LCI or MBW parameters in the routine clinical management of patients with CF. ..
- Epidemiology of asthma: risk factors for developmentPadmaja Subbarao
Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 5:77-95. 2009..It is only after understanding these effects that one can hope to design rational prevention studies for asthma...
- Sputum eosinophils and the response of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction to corticosteroid in asthmaMylinh Duong
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main St West, Room 3U 24, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Chest 133:404-11. 2008..The relationship between eosinophilic airway inflammation and exercise-induced bronchoconstriction (EIB), and the response to inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) therapy was examined...