Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Emergency department length of stay for patients requiring mechanical ventilation: a prospective observational studyLouise Rose
Lawrence S, Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, 155 College St, Rm 276, Toronto, ON, M5T IP8, Canada
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 20:30. 2012..Additionally, we aimed to describe delivery and monitoring of ventilation in the ED...
- Cost-effective critical care: cost containment and rationingGordon D Rubenfeld
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto School of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 33:413-20. 2012..Given the burden of critical illness and the wide variation in resources a global approach to rationing is untenable. The article concludes with a vision of the future of allocation in critical care...
- Red blood cell transfusion and outcomes in patients with acute lung injury, sepsis and shockElizabeth C Parsons
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Crit Care 15:R221. 2011..In this study, we sought to determine the association between red blood cell (RBC) transfusion and outcomes in patients with acute lung injury (ALI), sepsis and shock...
- A Canadian Critical Care Trials Group project in collaboration with the international forum for acute care trialists - Collaborative H1N1 Adjuvant Treatment pilot trial (CHAT): study protocol and design of a randomized controlled trialKaren E A Burns
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine and Departments of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Trials 12:70. 2011....
- A knowledge translation collaborative to improve the use of therapeutic hypothermia in post-cardiac arrest patients: protocol for a stepped wedge randomized trialKatie N Dainty
RESCU Research Program, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St, Michael s Hospital Toronto, Canada
Implement Sci 6:4. 2011..Despite the strong evidence for its efficacy and the apparent simplicity of this intervention, recent surveys show that therapeutic hypothermia is delivered inconsistently, incompletely, and often with delay...
- Clinical review: Fresh frozen plasma in massive bleedings - more questions than answersBartolomeu Nascimento
Transfusion Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, C160, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Crit Care 14:202. 2010....
- The effect of an intensive care unit staffing model on tidal volume in patients with acute lung injuryColin R Cooke
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Avenue, Box 359762, Seattle, Washington, 98104, USA
Crit Care 12:R134. 2008..We aimed to assess the effect of closed-model intensive care on evidence-based ventilatory practice in patients with acute lung injury (ALI)...
- Perceived barriers to the regionalization of adult critical care in the United States: a qualitative preliminary studyJeremy M Kahn
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:239. 2008..We sought to develop a framework for understanding clinician attitudes toward regionalization and potential barriers to developing a tiered, regionalized system of care in the United States...
- Improving clinical trials of long-term outcomesGordon D Rubenfeld
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Crit Care Med 37:S112-6. 2009..Those interested in this area should collaborate to build on the lessons from effective multidisciplinary programs developed to treat other diseases...
- Research recruitment practices and critically ill patients. A multicenter, cross-sectional study (the Consent Study)Karen E A Burns
Division of Critical Care Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:1212-8. 2013..Limited cross-sectional data exist to characterize the challenges of enrolling critically ill patients into research studies...
- Update in critical care 2007Robert A Fowler
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:808-19. 2008
- Critical care and the global burden of critical illness in adultsNeill K J Adhikari
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, University of Toronto and Department of Critical Care Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet 376:1339-46. 2010....
- Interventions to improve long-term outcomes after critical illnessGordon D Rubenfeld
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Crit Care 13:476-81. 2007..The topic is complex because critical illness spans a number of diseases including spinal cord injury and myocardial infarction that have an extensive rehabilitation literature...
- Perceived barriers to therapeutic hypothermia for patients resuscitated from cardiac arrest: a qualitative study of emergency department and critical care workersAlina Toma
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Crit Care Med 38:504-9. 2010..Despite scientific evidence to support therapeutic hypothermia for resuscitated cardiac arrest patients, it is inconsistently and at times inadequately used...
- Estimating sample size in critical care clinical trialsDamon C Scales
Department of Critical Care Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Crit Care 20:6-11. 2005..The relationship among confidence intervals, precision, and study power is also discussed...
- Improving Ventilator Management and Preventing Injury to Patients with ARFGordon Rubenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2009....