Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- The utility of recombinant factor VIIa as a last resort in traumaRishi Mamtani
Trauma Services, Division of General Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and Canadian Forces Health Services, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Room H1 86, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, USA
World J Emerg Surg 7:S7. 2012..The objective of this study was to identify critical degrees of acidosis and associated factors at which rFVIIa might be considered of no utility...
- The evidence for the use of recombinant factor VIIa in massive bleeding: revision of the transfusion policy frameworkY Lin
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med 22:383-94. 2012....
- Use of recombinant factor VIIa for the prevention and treatment of bleeding in patients without hemophilia: a systematic review and meta-analysisYulia Lin
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
CMAJ 183:E9-19. 2011..The benefits and risks of off-label use of recombinant factor VIIa in patients without hemophilia are contested. We performed a systematic review to assess the effectiveness and safety of such use...
- Effect of a fixed-ratio (1:1:1) transfusion protocol versus laboratory-results-guided transfusion in patients with severe trauma: a randomized feasibility trialBartolomeu Nascimento
Department of General Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 185:E583-9. 2013..We conducted a randomized controlled trial to assess the feasibility of a 1:1:1 transfusion protocol and its effect on mortality and complications among patients with severe trauma...
- Recombinant factor VIIa for the prevention and treatment of bleeding in patients without haemophiliaEwurabena Simpson
Department of Paediatrics, Division of Haematology Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD005011. 2012..This is the third version of the 2007 Cochrane review on the use of recombinant factor VIIa for the prevention and treatment of bleeding in patients without haemophilia, and has been updated to incorporate recent trial data...
- Design and preliminary results of a pilot randomized controlled trial on a 1:1:1 transfusion strategy: the trauma formula-driven versus laboratory-guided studyBartolomeu Nascimento
Department of Surgery, Tory Regional Trauma Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Trauma 71:S418-26. 2011..However, a randomized controlled trial on the topic is lacking. We report on the design and preliminary results of our ongoing randomized control pilot trial (ClinicalTrial.gov NCT00945542)...
- Recombinant factor VIIa is associated with an improved 24-hour survival without an improvement in inpatient survival in massively transfused civilian trauma patientsBartolomeu Nascimento
Tory Regional Trauma Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Canada
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:101-6. 2011..To determine whether recombinant factor VIIa (rFVIIa) is associated with increased survival and/or thromboembolic complications...
- Is central venous pressure still relevant in the contemporary era of liver resection?Eva See Wah Cheng
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Surg Res 200:139-46. 2016..We sought to assess the factors associated with perioperative RBCT after hepatectomy with a focus on intraoperative hemodynamics...
- Hospital-based transfusion error tracking from 2005 to 2010: identifying the key errors threatening patient transfusion safetyCarolyn Maskens
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Laboratory Medicine, The Department of Clinical Pathology, and the Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Canada Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 54:66-73; quiz 65. 2014..This report provides a comprehensive analysis of transfusion errors occurring at a large teaching hospital and aims to determine key errors that are threatening transfusion safety, despite implementation of safety measures...
- Cryoprecipitate: the current state of knowledgeJeannie L Callum
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 23:177-88. 2009..Despite 45 years of the use of this product, we still have a lot to learn regarding the optimal use of cryoprecipitate...
- A retrospective review of patient factors, transfusion practices, and outcomes in patients with transfusion-associated circulatory overloadLani Lieberman
Department of Clinical Pathology, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 27:206-12. 2013..Suboptimal ordering and infusion practices may be contributing to the high incidence and severity of TACO. Research in TACO prevention strategies, such as slow rates of infusion and preemptive diuretics, is warranted. ..
- The prevention of transfusion-associated circulatory overloadAsim Alam
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 27:105-12. 2013..We believe that using these methodologies on a global scale will prevent many TACO events and minimize the severity when it does occur...
- Recombinant factor VIIa for the prevention and treatment of bleeding in patients without haemophiliaYulia Lin
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and Canadian Blood Services, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Room B204, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4N 3M5
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD005011. 2011..It is also increasingly being used for off-license indications to prevent bleeding in operations where blood loss is likely to be high, and/or to stop bleeding that is proving difficult to control by other means...
- The impact of peri-operative blood transfusions on post-pancreatectomy short-term outcomes: an analysis from the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement ProgramJulie Hallet
Division of General Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
HPB (Oxford) 17:975-82. 2015..Peri-operative red blood cell transfusions (RBCT) may induce transfusion-related immunomodulation and impact post-operative recovery. This study examined the association between RBCT and post-pancreatectomy morbidity...
- Initial transfusion intensity predicts survival in myelodysplastic syndromeLap Shu Alan Chan
Molecular and Cellular Biology, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
Leuk Lymphoma 55:2296-300. 2014..05), independent of age, IPSS and progression to acute myeloid leukemia (AML). The intensity of transfusion required in the first few weeks after the first transfusion predicts disease severity and correlates with survival...
- Hemolytic disease of the newborn caused by anti-Wright (anti-Wra): case report and review of literatureAmanda Squires
NICU at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, Toronto, Canada
Neonatal Netw 31:69-80. 2012..A positive DAT should alert the clinician to the presence of maternal antibodies against low-incidence antigens. Antibodies to the Wra antigen are one such rare cause of HDN...
- Clinical review: Fresh frozen plasma in massive bleedings - more questions than answersBartolomeu Nascimento
Transfusion Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, C160, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Crit Care 14:202. 2010....
- Transfusion-associated hyperkalemiaAdrienne Vraets
Transfusion Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 25:184-96. 2011....
- Cellular therapies: a Canadian blood services research and development symposiumNadine Shehata
Division of Hematology, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 21:317-36. 2007
- Transfusion of ABO-nonidentical platelets is not associated with adverse clinical outcomes in cardiovascular surgery patientsYulia Lin
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 42:166-72. 2002..The impact of platelet and plasma incompatibility on clinical outcomes was analyzed...