Genomes and Genes
St. Michael's Hospital
Organization: St. Michael's Hospital
- Laparoscopic gastric surgery in an enhanced recovery programmeT P Grantcharov
Division of General Surgery, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Surg 97:1547-51. 2010..The effects of a combination of laparoscopic resection and accelerated recovery have not been examined previously in the context of gastric surgery...
- Practice patterns of pulmonologists and family physicians for occupational asthmaD Linn Holness
Gage Occupational and Environmental Health Unit, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, ON, Canada M5B 1W8
Chest 132:1526-31. 2007..Our objective was to document and compare the practice patterns, barriers, and needs for early diagnosis of OA among pulmonologists and family physicians...
- Daily variation in endotoxin levels is associated with increased organ failure in critically ill patientsDavid J Klein
St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shock 28:524-9. 2007..Further studies are warranted to assess the role of daily variation in endotoxin levels in the pathogenesis and potential therapy of organ failure in the critically ill...
- Severe hemodilutional anemia increases cerebral tissue injury following acute neurotraumaGregory M T Hare
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1021-9. 2007..05 for both). Hemodilutional anemia reduced cerebral Pbr(O(2)) and oxygen extraction and increased cell death following TBI. These results support our hypothesis that acute anemia accentuated hypoxic cerebral injury after neurotrauma...
- Postoperative irradiation for rectal cancer increases the risk of small bowel obstruction after surgeryNancy N Baxter
Department of Surgery, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Surg 245:553-9. 2007..To determine the risk of small bowel obstruction (SBO) after irradiation (RT) for rectal cancer..
- Increased cerebral and renal endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression after cardiopulmonary bypass in the ratC David Mazer
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:13-20. 2007..This study tested the hypothesis that cardiopulmonary bypass and anemia stimulate an increase in cerebral and renal endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression in an experimental model of cardiopulmonary bypass...
- Anemia, transfusion, and phlebotomy practices in critically ill patients with prolonged ICU length of stay: a cohort studyClarence Chant
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, 144 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3M2
Crit Care 10:R140. 2006..This study was performed to characterize anemia, transfusion, and phlebotomy practices in patients with prolonged ICU LOS...
- Beta2 adrenergic antagonist inhibits cerebral cortical oxygen delivery after severe haemodilution in ratsG M T Hare
Department of Anaesthesia and the Cara Phelan Centre for Trauma Research, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Br J Anaesth 97:617-23. 2006..This study tests the hypothesis that inhibition of cerebral vasodilatation by systemic beta2 adrenergic blockade would impair cerebral oxygen delivery leading to tissue hypoxia in severely haemodiluted rats...
- Reliability and validity of the body image after breast cancer questionnaireNancy N Baxter
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Canada
Breast J 12:221-32. 2006..The BIBCQ provides a reliable and valid assessment of the long-term impact of breast cancer on body image. It is suitable for use in research focusing on this issue...
- Malignant paraganglioma of the urinary bladder: Immunohistochemical study of prognostic indicatorsKalman Kovacs
Department of Laboratory Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Pathol 16:363-9. 2005..Abnormalities in vascular architecture and marked expression of VEGF in the tumor cells may be regarded as prognostic signs to predict the formation of metastases...
- Diagnosis of coronary artery disease in the diabetic patientLawrence A Leiter
Division of Endocrinology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Cardiol 22:7A-8A. 2006
- A memoir of a sojourn as editor of The Canadian Journal of PsychiatryEdward Kingstone
St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 50:671-4. 2005
- Responses to written notification during out-of-hospital care trials using waiver of informed consentJulia M Spence
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Department of Emergency Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 12:1099-103. 2005..Resuscitation research has been allowed to proceed using waiver of consent when compliance with guidelines is assured. In these circumstances, institutional review boards (IRBs) may request notification of enrolled patients...
- Failure of enoxaparin during coronary stenting: a case reportRobert J Chisholm
Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 66:343-5. 2005..Low-molecular-weight heparin in the absence of a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blocker may be insufficient during percutaneous coronary intervention...
- Diagnosis and treatment of Paget's disease of boneRobert G Josse
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Clin Invest Med 30:E210-23. 2007..The Panel recommends treating PDB with bisphosphonates that have demonstrated superior efficacy and remission rates...
- Providing an in-centre nocturnal hemodialysis program: the pearls and pitfallsAlison Thomas
Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON
CANNT J 17:39-41. 2007..This article will outline both the successes and challenges of this unique approach to hemodialysis...
- Combined single-stage osseous and soft tissue reconstruction of the tibia with the Ilizarov method and tissue transferMichael D McKee
Division of Orthopaedics, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 22:183-9. 2008..To determine the outcome of single-stage soft tissue and osseous reconstruction using the Ilizarov method and soft-tissue transfer...
- Adenohypophysitis in rat pituitary allograftsFabio Rotondo
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Exp Pathol 91:445-50. 2010....
- Adoptive-transfer effects of intravenous immunoglobulin in autoimmunityAlan H Lazarus
The Canadian Blood Services, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Clin Immunol 30:S20-3. 2010..This review will highlight recent work in murine systems that indicates that the effects of IVIG can be adoptively transferred in some autoimmune diseases and inflammatory states...
- Knowledge translation in emergency medical services: a qualitative survey of barriers to guideline implementationBlair L Bigham
Rescu, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Resuscitation 81:836-40. 2010..The American Heart Association (AHA) released guidelines to improve survival rates from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in 2005. We sought to identify what barriers delayed the implementation of these guidelines in EMS agencies...
- Evaluation of pneumonia severity and acute physiology scores to predict ICU admission and mortality in patients hospitalized for influenzaMatthew P Muller
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e9563. 2010..The demand for inpatient medical services increases during influenza season. A scoring system capable of identifying influenza patients at low risk death or ICU admission could help clinicians make hospital admission decisions...
- Patterns of urban violent injury: a spatio-temporal analysisMichael Cusimano
Injury Prevention Research Office, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e8669. 2010..The purpose of this study was to describe the combined spatial and temporal characteristics of violent injury in a large urban centre...
- Shock wave lithotripsy: a randomized, double-blind trial to compare immediate versus delayed voltage escalationR John D A Honey
Department of Urology, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Urology 75:38-43. 2010..Preliminary data have suggested that delaying voltage escalation for SWL might both improve fragmentation and minimize renal injury...
- Building knowledge for safer care: nursing research advancing practiceLianne Jeffs
Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Nurs Care Qual 24:257-62. 2009..Participating nurses evolved from research novices to key champions in advancing nursing practice, patient safety, and quality improvement...
- The adherence support gap: the 'ideal' versus 'reality' of antiretroviral adherence support provided by HIV health providers in clinical practiceLaura Y Park-Wyllie
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 43:1036-44. 2009....
- A mathematical model for predicting ultrasonic measurement of total knee replacement contact areasRad Zdero
Martin Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:565-71. 2009..This investigation was part of an ongoing project to develop an engineering design tool for measuring surface contact areas at the tibio-femoral interfaces of clinically employed TKR prostheses...
- A biomechanical assessment of the coupling of torsion and tension in the human scapholunate ligamentR Zdero
Martin Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 222:907-14. 2008..This may suggest interplay between these two parameters in the stabilization of the ligament during normal motion and for injury cascades...
- Clazosentan: an endothelin receptor antagonist for treatment of vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhageR Loch MacDonald
University of Toronto, St Michael Hospital, Division of Neurosurgery, Keenan Research Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 17:1761-7. 2008..All patients will undergo neurosurgical aneurysm clipping and outcome will be assessed primarily based on mortality and vasospasm-related morbidity...
- Orthopaedic surgery in haemophilia patients with inhibitors: a practical guide to haemostatic, surgical and rehabilitative careJ M Teitel
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Haemophilia 15:227-39. 2009..In this article, we review the haematological, surgical and rehabilitative considerations relevant to orthopaedic surgery in haemophilia patients with inhibitors, and provide recommendations for carrying out such procedures...
- A novel immunosuppressive pathway involving peroxynitrite-mediated [corrected] nitration of platelet antigens within antigen-presenting cellsJohn W Semple
Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 48:1917-24. 2008..To further analyze this, we focused on NO's major metabolite peroxynitrite (ONOO(-)) and its ability to affect PLT immunity...
- Project examining effectiveness in clinical ethics (PEECE): phase 1-- descriptive analysis of nine clinical ethics servicesM D Godkin
Joint Center for Bioethics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Med Ethics 31:505-12. 2005..Best practices in clinical ethics against which one can benchmark performance have not been clearly articulated. The first step in developing benchmarks of clinical ethics services is to identify and understand current practices...
- Depression and mental health visits to physicians--a prospective records-based studyAnne Rhodes
St Michael s Hospital, Suicide Studies and The Inner City, The Arthur Sommer Rotenberg Chair in Health Research Unit, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5B 1W8
Soc Sci Med 62:828-34. 2006..The meaning behind these findings bears further study as it may have implications for primary care reform and the design of future studies of access...
- Comparison of the antioxidant effects of equine estrogens, red wine components, vitamin E, and probucol on low-density lipoprotein oxidation in postmenopausal womenB R Bhavnani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Menopause 8:408-19. 2001....
- S-Adenosylmethionine decarboxylase gene expression is regulated by the cAMP signal transduction pathway in H-ras transformed fibrosarcoma cells capable of malignant progressionR A Hurta
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, St Michael s Hospital, 38 Shuter St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5B 1A6
J Cell Biochem Suppl . 2001..J. Cell. Biochem. Suppl. 36: 209-221, 2001...
- Chinese-style barbecued meats: a public health challengeJ Ying
Health Promotion and Environmental Protection Office, Toronto Public Health, ON
Can J Public Health 91:386-9. 2000..e., chopping and packaging the food) as a result of lack of proper hand-washing and equipment sanitation. A risk-based food safety policy is proposed...
- Smooth muscle cell matrix metalloproteinase production is stimulated via alpha(v)beta(3) integrinM P Bendeck
Terrence Donnelly Research Laboratories, Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:1467-72. 2000..Thus, our results support the hypothesis that SMC alpha(v)beta(3) integrin receptors play an important role in regulating migration by stimulating SMC MMP production...
- Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapyF A Shepherd
University of Toronto, Toronto, and London Regional Cancer Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 18:2095-103. 2000..Secondary end points included assessment of response (docetaxel arm only), toxicity, and quality of life...
- Etiology of preoperative anemia in patients undergoing scheduled cardiac surgeryJ M Karski
Department of Anaesthesia, The Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 46:979-82. 1999..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the etiology of preoperative anemia...
- Plasma urokinase antigen and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 antigen levels predict angiographic coronary restenosisB H Strauss
Division of Cardiology, Terrence Donnelly Heart Centre, Hematology University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 100:1616-22. 1999....
- Efficacy and safety of cerivastatin in primary hypercholesterolemia: a long term comparative titration study with simvastatinL A Leiter
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 15:545-55. 1999..To compare cerivastatin with simvastatin in their long term safety and efficacy in reducing low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)...
- Comparison of performance of interns completing the old (1993) and new interactive (1997) Advanced Trauma Life Support coursesJ Ali
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Trauma 46:80-6. 1999..The 1997 edition of the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) course emphasized interactivity as its major change. The impact of this change is assessed in this study...
- Alternatives to chemotherapy and radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for lung cancerF A Shepherd
Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Lung Cancer 17:S121-36. 1997..It remains only speculative at this time as to whether manipulation of abnormal genes in malignant cells will be clinically possible, and whether treatment of this sort may be applied in an adjuvant setting...
- Treatment of Kaposi's sarcoma after solid organ transplantationF A Shepherd
Department of Medicine, The Multi Organ Transplant Program of The Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 15:2371-7. 1997....
- An overview of the management of electrical stormP Dorian
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Cardiol 13:13A-17A. 1997..In this article, several different clinical syndromes of electrical storm and the management of each are examined...
- Bioethics for clinicians: 5. Substitute decision-makingN M Lazar
University of Toronto
CMAJ 155:1435-7. 1996....
- Anti-D (WinRho SD) treatment of children with chronic autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura stimulates transient cytokine/chemokine productionJ W Semple
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, St Michael s Hospital, Toronoto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hematol 69:225-7. 2002..It is possible that the induced cytokine/chemokine storm may have an effect on several physiological processes such as those mediating either adverse effects or potentially RES phagocytic activity...
- Influence of clarithromycin on early atherosclerotic lesions after Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in a rabbit modelIgnatius W Fong
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Disease, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Rm 4 179C, Toronto, M5B 1W8 Ontario, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2321-6. 2002..Thus, clarithromycin administration modified C. pneumoniae-induced atherosclerotic lesions and reduced the ability to detect organism in tissue. Early treatment was more effective than delayed treatment...
- A rabbit model for monitoring in vivo viability of human platelet concentrates using flow cytometryValery Leytin
Department of Transfusion Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 42:711-8. 2002..Viability in vivo of novel platelet components cannot be readily determined in human transfusions. Elaboration of valid animal models may be useful for this purpose...
- Racial inequalities in preterm delivery: issues in the measurement of psychosocial constructsPatricia O'Campo
Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:S56-63. 2005....
- Early cardiac catheterization is associated with lower mortality only among high-risk patients with ST- and non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: observations from the OPUS-TIMI 16 trialWarren J Cantor
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am Heart J 149:275-83. 2005..The benefit of catheterization in both syndromes may depend on patient risk for adverse clinical outcomes...
- Barriers and facilitators in pain management in long-term care institutions: a qualitative studyPatricia Fox
Mobility Program Clinical Research Unit, 70 Richmond, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8
Can J Aging 23:269-80. 2004..Innovative strategies and strong political will are needed to overcome them...
- Stent-graft repair of femoral pseudoaneurysm/AV fistula using a retrograde popliteal approachRaymond P Chan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:516-9. 2004
- Review article: patients' fears and unmet needs in inflammatory bowel diseaseE J Irvine
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20:54-9. 2004....
- Cox-2 expression in the oxyphilic cells of the normal, hyperplastic, and adenomatous parathyroid glandC David Bell
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, St Michael s Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Pathol 15:29-38. 2004..It is suggested that the oncocytic cells play a role in prostaglandin metabolism within the parathyroids and may have a role in the regulation of PTH secretion...
- Separation and quantitative recovery of mouse serum arylesterase and carboxylesterase activityPhilip W Connelly
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, and St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Lipid Res 45:561-6. 2004..The contribution of serum carboxylesterase to the total esterase activity significantly confounds the interpretation of total arylesterase activity in mouse serum...
- Hypercapnia increases cerebral tissue oxygen tension in anesthetized ratsGregory M T Hare
Department of Anaesthesia, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 50:1061-8. 2003..To test the hypotheses that deliberate elevation of PaCO(2) increases cerebral tissue oxygen tension (PBrO(2)) by augmenting PaO(2) and regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF)...
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with a prolactin-producing pituitary adenomaKalman Kovacs
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hematol 74:55-9. 2003..Further studies are required to determine whether prolactin released from the pituitary tumor in excess played a role in the formation of microthrombi causing multiple organ failure and the demise of the patient...
- Collagenase plaque digestion for facilitating guide wire crossing in chronic total occlusionsBradley H Strauss
Roy and Ann Foss Interventional Cardiology Research Program, Terrence Donnelly Heart Center, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 108:1259-62. 2003..Collagen is the predominant component of the atherosclerotic plaque. The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy and toxicity of local delivery of a collagen-degrading enzyme to facilitate guide wire crossing in CTO...
- A description of a psychosocial/psychoeducational intervention for persons with recurrent suicide attemptsYvonne Bergmans
St Michael s Hospital University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crisis 23:156-60. 2002..Future reports will discuss the empirical evaluation of this intervention; however, the development of specific, targeted approaches for unique individuals with recurrent suicide attempts is clearly needed...
- Angiotensinogen M235T genotype predicts progression in chronic renal allograft dysfunctionG V Ramesh Prasad
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transplantation 75:209-16. 2003..Genotypes of the renin-angiotensin system have been implicated in essential hypertension and in progression of native kidney diseases, but gene effects on progression in chronic renal allograft dysfunction are unclear...
- Self-reported use of mental health services versus administrative records: should we care?Anne E Rhodes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, and St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 11:125-33. 2002..These results suggest that recall bias may be present. Regardless of the definition of care, access for those in need remains a concern despite universal medical insurance coverage...
- The gut in critical illness: evidence from human studiesJ C Marshall
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shock 6:S10-6. 1996..The challenge to replace them is no less compelling and no less treacherous than it was in the era of Metchnikoff, Lane, or their ancient forebears...
- Health care utilitzation in homeless peopleStephen Hwang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings will be relevant to health care providers, insurers, and others who share a responsibility for improving the health of Americans who are homeless. ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHRONIC CEREBRAL VASOSPASMRobert MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHRONIC CEREBRAL VASOSPASMRobert MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..