Michael J Beyak
Affiliation: Queen's University
- Ileitis modulates potassium and sodium currents in guinea pig dorsal root ganglia sensory neuronsTimothy Stewart
Gastrointestinal Diseases Research Unit, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Physiol 552:797-807. 2003....
- Visceral afferents - determinants and modulation of excitabilityMichael J Beyak
Department of Medicine, Queen s University, GIDRU Wing, Kingston General Hospital, 76 Stuart St, Kingston, ON, Canada K7L 2V7
Auton Neurosci 153:69-78. 2010....
- Two TTX-resistant Na+ currents in mouse colonic dorsal root ganglia neurons and their role in colitis-induced hyperexcitabilityMichael J Beyak
Gastrointestinal Diseases Research Unit, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 5G2
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G845-55. 2004..Colitis-induced hyperexcitability is associated with increased slow TTX-R (Nav1.8) Na+ current. Together, these findings suggest that colitis alters trkA-positive neurons to preferentially increase slow TTX-R Na+ (Nav1.8) currents...
- The long chain fatty acid oleate activates mouse intestinal afferent nerves in vitroW Andrew Webster
Department of Medicine and Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, ON K7L 2V7, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 91:375-9. 2013..The activation is dependent on CCK release, likely via activation of L-type channels on mucosal enteroendocrine cells, finally resulting in activation of CCK-1 receptors on the afferent terminals...
- Mechanisms of Quality of Life and Social Support in Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseLaura Katz
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6, Canada
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 23:88-98. 2016..Patient care should consider supportive social and cognitive factors to improve IBD-QoL. ..
- Impaired intestinal afferent nerve satiety signalling and vagal afferent excitability in diet induced obesity in the mouseDonna M Daly
Departments of Medicine and Physiology, Gastrointestinal Diseases Research Unit GIDRU Wing, Kingston General Hospital, 76 Stuart Street, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L2V7
J Physiol 589:2857-70. 2011..This may explain the development of hyperphagia when a high fat diet is consumed. Improving sensitivity of gastrointestinal afferent nerves may prove useful to limit food intake in obesity...