Gonzalo G Alvarez
Affiliation: Ottawa Health Research Institute
- A systematic review of the epidemiology, immunopathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of pleural TB in HIV-infected patientsA Aljohaney
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, P O Box 80215, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Clin Dev Immunol 2012:842045. 2012..High HIV burden countries have experienced a high burden of pleural TB in HIV-infected patients...
- "Crack lung and heart" presenting after chemotherapy in a 65-year-old man with non-Hodgkin lymphomaG G Alvarez
Department of Medicine, Division of Respirology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
Curr Oncol 15:63-5. 2008..The finding of "crack lung" preceded the diagnosis of probable "crack heart." No other similar published case reports could be identified in the literature...
- A model to rule out smear-negative tuberculosis among symptomatic HIV patients using C-reactive proteinG G Alvarez
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Division of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 16:1247-51. 2012..Improved diagnostic algorithms for sputum smear-negative tuberculosis (SNTB) are needed to address the dramatic increase in SNTB in regions with high human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence...
- A comparative examination of tuberculosis immigration medical screening programs from selected countries with high immigration and low tuberculosis incidence ratesGonzalo G Alvarez
Divisions of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 11:3. 2011..The present study aimed to compare the TB immigration medical examination requirements in selected countries of high immigration and low TB incidence rates...
- A systematic review of the psychological risk factors associated with near fatal asthma or fatal asthmaG G Alvarez
Ottawa Health Research Institute of the University of Ottawa, and Respirology Division, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada
Respiration 74:228-36. 2007..Recommendations on future studies in the field are outlined in detail. Following a systematic assessment of all published studies, we cannot conclude that psychological factors increase the risk of NFA and FA...
- Blastomycosis in a young African man presenting with a pleural effusionG G Alvarez
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
Can Respir J 13:441-4. 2006..The unusual occurrence of pulmonary blastomycosis associated with skin lesions and a moderate pleural effusion is reported...
- Pediatric tuberculosis immigration screening in high-immigration, low-incidence countriesG G Alvarez
Division of Respirology, The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:1530-7. 2010..Many countries have developed immigration TB screening programs to suit the needs of adults, but have not focused much attention on migrant children...
- Reevaluation of Diagnosis in Adults With Physician-Diagnosed AsthmaShawn D Aaron
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 317:269-279. 2017..Although asthma is a chronic disease, the expected rate of spontaneous remissions of adult asthma and the stability of diagnosis are unknown...
- The feasibility of the interferon gamma release assay and predictors of discordance with the tuberculin skin test for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in a remote Aboriginal communityGonzalo G Alvarez
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Divisions of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, Departments of Medicine and Microbiology, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 9:e111986. 2014..The objective of this study was to test the feasibility, and predictors of discordance between the Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) and the IGRA assay in a medically under-serviced remote arctic Aboriginal population...
- A comparison of obese and nonobese people with asthma: exploring an asthma-obesity interactionSmita Pakhale
MSc, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Chest 137:1316-23. 2010....
- Overdiagnosis of asthma in obese and nonobese adultsShawn D Aaron
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ont, USA
CMAJ 179:1121-31. 2008..It is unclear whether asthma is overdiagnosed in developed countries, particularly among obese individuals, who may be more likely than nonobese people to experience dyspnea...
- Taima (stop) TB: the impact of a multifaceted TB awareness and door-to-door campaign in residential areas of high risk for TB in Iqaluit, NunavutGonzalo G Alvarez
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada The Ottawa Hospital, Department of Medicine, Divisions of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 9:e100975. 2014..The objective of the Taima (translates to "stop" in Inuktitut) TB study was to implement and evaluate a public health campaign to enhance existing TB prevention efforts in Nunavut...
- Developing and Field Testing a Community Based Youth Initiative to Increase Tuberculosis Awareness in Remote Arctic Inuit CommunitiesGonzalo G Alvarez
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 11:e0159241. 2016....
- Inaccuracy of death certificate diagnosis of tuberculosis and potential underdiagnosis of TB in a region of high HIV prevalenceTheresa T Liu
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Clin Dev Immunol 2012:937013. 2012..TB is often diagnosed clinically, without microbiologic confirmation, leading to inaccurate estimates of TB-attributed deaths. This may contribute to avoidable deaths, and impact population-based TB mortality estimates...
- Effect of theophylline on exercise capacity in COPD patients treated with combination long-acting bronchodilator therapy: a pilot studyNha Voduc
University of Ottawa, Division of Respirology, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 7:245-52. 2012..Previous studies evaluating the effects of theophylline on exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have demonstrated heterogeneous results...
- The prevalence of blebs or bullae among young healthy adults: a thoracoscopic investigationKayvan Amjadi
University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Division of Respirology, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1Y 4E9
Chest 132:1140-5. 2007..To determine the prevalence of blebs or bullae using thoracoscopy in young healthy adults, and to compare patient characteristics among those with and without blebs...
- Tuberculosis at Edendale Hospital in Pietermaritzburg, Kwazulu Natal, South AfricaG G Alvarez
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:1472-8. 2004..Edendale Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, a 1275-bed hospital that serves a mainly ethnic African population of 1.6 million...
- A systematic review of risk factors associated with near-fatal and fatal asthmaG G Alvarez
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can Respir J 12:265-70. 2005..Asthma mortality and morbidity continue to be a serious global problem. Systematic reviews provide an opportunity to review risk factors in detail...