Timothy J Whelan
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Long-term results of hypofractionated radiation therapy for breast cancerTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University and Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 362:513-20. 2010..The optimal fractionation schedule for whole-breast irradiation after breast-conserving surgery is unknown...
- Clinical experience using hypofractionated radiation schedules in breast cancerTimothy J Whelan
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:257-64. 2008..Early cohort studies report good local control and acceptable morbidity. Randomized trials are now underway to compare this approach to conventional whole-breast irradiation...
- Women's perceptions of their involvement in treatment decision making for early stage breast cancerMary Ann O'Brien
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, 500 University Avenue, 5th Floor, Toronto, ON, Canada
Support Care Cancer 21:1717-23. 2013..This study aimed to describe the perceptions of women with early stage breast cancer regarding their involvement in treatment decision making (TDM)...
- Physician-related facilitators and barriers to patient involvement in treatment decision making in early stage breast cancer: perspectives of physicians and patientsMary Ann O'Brien
Post doctoral Fellow, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ONAssociate Professor, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ONProfessor, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ONProfessor, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ONAssociate Professor, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ONAssistant Professor, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ONAssistant Professor, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Health Expect 16:373-84. 2013....
- Empirical comparison of methods for analyzing multiple time-to-event outcomes in a non-inferiority trial: a breast cancer studySameer Parpia
Ontario Clinical Oncology Group, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, 711 Concession Street G 60 Wing 1st Floor, Hamilton, ON L8V 1C3, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:44. 2013..However, their application to non-inferiority trials is limited. We evaluate four statistical methods for multiple time-to-event endpoints in the context of a non-inferiority trial...
- The cluster-randomized Quality Initiative in Rectal Cancer trial: evaluating a quality-improvement strategy in surgeryMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
CMAJ 182:1301-6. 2010..Following surgery for rectal cancer, two unfortunate outcomes for patients are permanent colostomy and local recurrence of cancer. We tested whether a quality-improvement strategy to change surgical practice would improve these outcomes...
- Randomized trial of tamoxifen versus combined tamoxifen and octreotide LAR Therapy in the adjuvant treatment of early-stage breast cancer in postmenopausal women: NCIC CTG MA.14Kathleen I Pritchard
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 29:3869-76. 2011..This trial was undertaken to assess whether octreotide would lower insulin and IGF-1 levels and reduce risk of breast cancer recurrence...
- Managing patients on endocrine therapy: focus on quality-of-life issuesTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 12:1056s-1060s. 2006..To review the health-related quality of life (QOL) of women treated with adjuvant hormonal therapy...
- Competing risks of death in women treated with adjuvant aromatase inhibitors for early breast cancer on NCIC CTG MA.27Judith Anne W Chapman
Canadian Cancer Trials Group formerly, NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 156:343-9. 2016..003). Overall, 57 % of deaths in MA.27 AI-treated patients were non-breast cancer related. Baseline patient and tumor characteristics differentially affected type of death with women 70 or older experiencing more non-breast cancer death...
- Treatment crossovers in time-to-event non-inferiority randomised trials of radiotherapy in patients with breast cancerSameer Parpia
Ontario Clinical Oncology Group, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMJ Open 4:e006531. 2014..This has led to the use of alternative approaches such as the per-protocol (PP) analysis or the as-treated (AT) analysis, despite the inherent biases of such approaches...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of erythropoietin in non-small-cell lung cancer with disease-related anemiaJames R Wright
Juravinski Cancer Center at Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 25:1027-32. 2007..We designed a trial to investigate the effects of epoetin alfa therapy on the QOL of anemic patients with advanced non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung (NSCLC)...
- Use of conventional radiation therapy as part of breast-conserving treatmentTimothy J Whelan
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Candada
J Clin Oncol 23:1718-25. 2005
- The Quality Initiative in Rectal Cancer (QIRC) trial: study protocol of a cluster randomized controlled trial in surgeryMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, St, Joseph s Healthcare, G838 50 Charlton Ave, East, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6, Canada
BMC Surg 8:4. 2008..The strategy is designed to optimize the use of total mesorectal excision techniques...
- Effect of metformin vs placebo on and metabolic factors in NCIC CTG MA.32Pamela J Goodwin
Lunenfeld Tanenbaum Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada PJG NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Cancer Research Institute, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada WRP, LES, BEC NCIC Clinical Trials Group, British Columbia Cancer Agency, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada KAG Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA JAL Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY DLH National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA PR Vanderbilt Ingram Medical Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN IAM Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN TJH Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec, Unité de recherche en santé des populations Hôpital du Saint Sacrement, Quebec, Quebec, Canada JL National Cancer Research Institute Breast Clinical Studies Group, London, UK AMT Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada KIP Juravinski Cancer Center at Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada TJW, SDM Allan Blair Cancer Centre, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 107:. 2015....
- Canadian Phase III Randomized Trial of Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy Versus Conventionally Hypofractionated Radiotherapy for Stage I, Medically Inoperable Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer - Rationale and Protocol Design for the Ontario Clinical Oncology Group Anand Swaminath
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
Clin Lung Cancer . 2016..The OCOG-LUSTRE study is the only randomized phase III trial testing SBRT in a medically inoperable population, and the results of this trial will attempt to prove that the benefits of SBRT outweigh the potential risks...
- Women's perceptions of their treatment decision-making about breast cancer treatmentMary Ann O'Brien
Supportive Cancer Care Research Unit, Juravinski Cancer Centre and McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 73:431-6. 2008..There is limited understanding about what treatment decision making (TDM) means to patients. The study objective was to identify any processes or stages of TDM as perceived by women with early stage breast cancer (ESBC)...
- Assessment of quality of life in MA.17: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of letrozole after 5 years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal womenTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:6931-40. 2005..To evaluate the impact of letrozole compared with placebo after adjuvant tamoxifen on quality of life (QOL) in the MA.17 trial...
- Physician/patient decision aids for adjuvant therapyTimothy J Whelan
Juravinski Cancer Centre, 699 Concession St, Room 3 62, Hamilton, Ontario, L8V 5C2 Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:1627-30. 2005
- Efficacy, toxicity, and quality of life in older women with early-stage breast cancer treated with letrozole or placebo after 5 years of tamoxifen: NCIC CTG intergroup trial MA.17Hyman B Muss
University of Vermont College of Medicine, 1 South Prospect St, Saint Joseph 3400, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1956-64. 2008..Breast cancer incidence increases with age and more than 1,300 women age 70 years or older were enrolled onto MA.17, making it ideal to explore the benefits, toxicities, and quality of life (QOL) impact of letrozole on older women...
- Ten-year multi-institutional results of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2-associated stage I/II breast cancerLori J Pierce
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0010, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2437-43. 2006..We compared the outcome of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers with breast cancer versus that of matched sporadic controls...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2004Eric P Winer
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, D1210, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:619-29. 2005..To update the 2003 American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on adjuvant use of aromatase inhibitors...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 16. Locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapyPauline T Truong
BC Cancer Agency Vancouver Island Centre
CMAJ 170:1263-73. 2004..To provide information and recommendations to assist women with breast cancer and their physicians in making decisions regarding the use of locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapy (PMRT)...
- In regard to Fortin et al., Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;56:1013-1022Ivo A Olivotto
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1317-8; author reply 1318. 2004
- A clinical trial of breast radiation therapy versus breast plus regional radiation therapy in early-stage breast cancer: the MA20 trialIvo A Olivotto
Radiation Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Agency and University of British Columbia, Vancouver Island Centre, 2410 Lee Avenue, Victoria, BC V8R 6V5, Canada
Clin Breast Cancer 4:361-3. 2003
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment working group update: use of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant settingEric P Winer
American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2597-9. 2003
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2002Eric P Winer
Health Services Research Department, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1900 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3317-27. 2002..POTENTIAL INTERVENTIONS: Anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane...