Affiliation: McMaster University
- IL-6 is an antiinflammatory cytokine required for controlling local or systemic acute inflammatory responsesZ Xing
Immunology and Infection Program, Department of Pathology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5 Canada
J Clin Invest 101:311-20. 1998....
- The role of neutrophils in inflammationG Cox
St Joseph s Hospital and McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Can Respir J 5:37A-40A. 1998..The refinement of the technique of examining sputum cellular content to assess airway inflammation provides an opportunity to identify and study this subgroup of patients...
- A randomized controlled trial on the effect of inhaled corticosteroids on airways inflammation in adult cigarette smokersG Cox
Firestone Regional Chest and Allergy Unit, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Chest 115:1271-7. 1999..To determine whether inhaled corticosteroid treatment can reduce airways inflammation in adult cigarette smokers...
- NO(+) but not NO radical relaxes airway smooth muscle via cGMP-independent release of internal Ca(2+)L J Janssen
Asthma Research Group, Smooth Muscle Research Group, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 278:L899-905. 2000..relaxes the airways through a cGMP-dependent, Ca(2+)-independent pathway...
- Lung volume reduction for emphysema and the Canadian Lung Volume Reduction Surgery (CLVR) ProjectJ D Miller
St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Canada
Can Respir J 6:26-32. 1999..To review the literature on the surgical treatment of emphysema and to present preliminary results from a pilot study of lung volume reduction (LVR) surgery...
- Increased detection of interleukin-5 in sputum by addition of protease inhibitorsM M Kelly
Dept of Medicine, St. Joseph's Hospital-McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur Respir J 18:685-91. 2001....
- Genetically transmitted cholinergic hyperresponsiveness predisposes to experimental asthmaV J Djurić
Father Sean O Sullivan Research Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6, Canada
Brain Behav Immun 12:272-84. 1998..In addition, the FSL rat may be a useful model for studies of airway hyperresponsiveness...
- Prevalence of vertebral fractures among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in CanadaA Papaioannou
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Osteoporos Int 14:913-7. 2003..The primary objective of this case-control study was to determine the prevalence of vertebral fractures among patients with COPD admitted to acute care compared with a gender- and age-matched control group...
- Nicotine replacement combined with a novel compound (ProBAN) for smoking cessation: a pilot studyR Leigh
Firestone Regional Chest and Allergy Unit, St Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Canada
Can Respir J 8:21-6. 2001..Although not statistically significant due to the size of the study, this result suggests that it may be an effective therapy for smoking cessation, and larger studies are warranted...
- A randomized, controlled trial comparing thoracoscopy and limited thoracotomy for lung biopsy in interstitial lung diseaseJ D Miller
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1647-50. 2000..Lung biopsies are frequently needed to diagnose diffuse interstitial lung diseases. A prospective randomized, controlled trial comparing limited thoracotomy (open lung biopsy) and thoracoscopy for lung biopsy was done...
- Excitatory and inhibitory actions of isoprostanes in human and canine airway smooth muscleL J Janssen
Asthma Research Group, Father Sean O Sullivan Research Centre, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 295:506-11. 2000..9). Our results show that several 8-isoprostanes are highly biologically active in human and canine airways, evoking both excitatory and/or inhibitory effects, and that these effects are compound, species, and tissue dependent...
- A method to preserve sputum for delayed examinationM M Kelly
Asthma Research Group, Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St Joseph s Healthcare McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Eur Respir J 22:996-1000. 2003..97 using the preservation method, and 0.96, 0.99 and 0.99 using the routine method, respectively. This method of sputum preservation and dispersal is valid, reliable and convenient, and may be used for delayed processing and examination...