Affiliation: McGill University
- Total Kidney Volume in Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease: A Biomarker of Disease Progression and Therapeutic EfficacyAhsan Alam
McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Electronic address
Am J Kidney Dis 66:564-76. 2015..Several studies have identified TKV as a relevant imaging biomarker for monitoring and predicting disease progression and support its use as a prognostic end point in clinical trials. ..
- Elevated troponin I levels but not low grade chronic inflammation is associated with cardiac-specific mortality in stable hemodialysis patientsAhsan Alam
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, 687 Pine Avenue West, Ross 2, 39, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A1, Canada
BMC Nephrol 14:247. 2013..We hypothesized that elevated TnI levels in chronic stable hemodialysis patients more specifically track with cardiac mortality, and this mechanism is independent of other contributors of cardiac mortality, such as inflammation...
- Serum adiponectin levels and mortality after kidney transplantationAhsan Alam
Division of Nephrology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:460-7. 2013..Its beneficial role has not been consistent in patients with CKD or those undergoing dialysis...
- Preoperative hospital length of stay as a modifiable risk factor for mediastinitis after cardiac surgeryStephane Leung Wai Sang
Divisions of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Quebec, H3A 1A3, Montreal, Canada
J Cardiothorac Surg 8:45. 2013....
- Cardiovascular death in dialysis patients: lessons we can learn from AURORAAllan D Sniderman
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, McGill University Health Centre, Quebec, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:335-40. 2010..Thus sudden death due to arrhythmia and slow progressive death due to heart failure could be manifestations of reperfusion injury...
- Left ventricular hypertrophy in ADPKD: changing demographicsAhsan Alam
McGill University, Royal Victoria Hospital McGill University Health Centre, 687Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Canada H3A 1A1
Curr Hypertens Rev 9:27-31. 2013..The results of ongoing studies will help elucidate these relationships. ..
- Management of ESRD in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseAhsan Alam
Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Canada
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 17:164-72. 2010..Particular focus needs to be placed on performing clinical trials with the goal of enhancing outcomes and quality of life of patients with ADPKD...
- Is lower and lower better and better? A re-evaluation of the evidence from the Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' Collaboration meta-analysis for low-density lipoprotein loweringAllan Sniderman
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, Room H7, 22, McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1A1 Canada
J Clin Lipidol 6:303-9. 2012..It follows that definitive evidence supporting maximal lowering of LDL-C or maximal dose of statins is still lacking and guidelines, if they are to be evidence-based, should acknowledge this uncertainty...
- Predictors of suboptimal and crash initiation of dialysis at two tertiary care centersKenrry Chiu
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Hemodial Int 16:S39-46. 2012..Our study highlights that suboptimal and crash start patients are distinct populations. Modifying factors that predict nonoptimal dialysis starts will need to consider these distinctions...
- Evaluating cimetidine for GFR estimation in liver transplant recipientsNavdeep Tangri
Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:1285-9. 2010..In the absence of accurate GFR-estimating equations, rGFR should be used to monitor kidney function in liver transplant recipients...