Gilles J Lavigne
- The significance of saliva during sleep and the relevance of oromotor movementsNorman M R Thie
University of Montreal, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, CP 6128 Succursale Centre Ville, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
Sleep Med Rev 6:213-27. 2002..We hypothesize herein that lubrication from saliva is necessary during sleep to protect tissue integrity and health of oroesophageal structures...
- Reduction of sleep bruxism using a mandibular advancement device: an experimental controlled studyMarie Lou Landry
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 19:549-56. 2006..The objective of this experimental study was to compare the effect on sleep bruxism and tooth-grinding activity of a double-arch temporary custom-fit mandibular advancement device (MAD) and a single maxillary occlusal splint (MOS)...
- Experimental pain perception remains equally active over all sleep stagesGilles Lavigne
Départment de Santé buccale, Universite de Montreal, Que H3C 3J7, Canada
Pain 110:646-55. 2004..1+/-2.7 and 73.3+/-7.4 mm, respectively; P < 0.03. These data suggest that pain during sleep could trigger a sleep awaking response over all sleep stages and not only in light sleep...
- Oral dyskinesia: a clinical overviewPierre J Blanchet
Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Montreal, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 18:10-9. 2005..The aims of this clinical overview are to raise the dental community's awareness about this important and complex topic and describe the clinical features and management of the main entities...
- Mechanisms associated with unusual orofacial painGilles Lavigne
Quebec Oral Health Research Network FRSQ, Faculties of Dentistry and Medicine Université de Montréal Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Orofac Pain 19:9-21. 2005....
- The Neurobiology of Orofacial Pain and Sleep and Their InteractionsG J Lavigne
Faculties of Dental Medicine and Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Centre for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine and Trauma Unit, Surgery Department, Hôpital du Sacré Cœur de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Dent Res 95:1109-16. 2016..g., insomnia, sleep-disordered breathing) that can negatively affect their pain, and to promote healing and optimize their health. ..
- The effect of nocturnal wear of complete dentures on sleep and oral health related quality of life: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialElham Emami
Faculty of Dentistry, Universite de Montreal, 2900 Edouard Montpetit, Montreal, QC H3T 1J4, Canada
Trials 15:358. 2014....
- Does sleep differ among patients with common musculoskeletal pain disorders?Gilles J Lavigne
Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:535-42. 2011....
- Gender specificity of the slow wave sleep lost in chronic widespread musculoskeletal painGilles J Lavigne
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Sleep Med 12:179-85. 2011..We tested the hypothesis that the poor sleep of female patients reporting CWP is gender specific for changes in (1) electroencephalograph (EEG) features and (2) heart rate variability (HRV)...
- Bruxism physiology and pathology: an overview for cliniciansG J Lavigne
Faculty of Dentistry, Surgery Department, Pain, Sleep and Trauma Unit, Universite de Montreal, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Oral Rehabil 35:476-94. 2008..e. associated with consequences (e.g. tooth damage, pain and social/marital conflict) requires intervention by a clinician...
- Genesis of sleep bruxism: motor and autonomic-cardiac interactionsGilles J Lavigne
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Arch Oral Biol 52:381-4. 2007....
- Rhythmic masticatory muscle activity during sleep in humansG J Lavigne
Centre d Etude du Sommeil, H pital du Sacré Coeur de Montréal, Quebec, Canada
J Dent Res 80:443-8. 2001..The high prevalence of RMMA observed in normal subjects suggests that this activity is related to certain sleep-related physiological functions, including autonomic activation...
- Heart rate changes during sleep in response to experimental thermal (nociceptive) stimulations in healthy subjectsG J Lavigne
Sleep studies Centre Hôpital du Sacré Coeur and Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Quebec H3C 3J7, Montreal, Canada
Clin Neurophysiol 112:532-5. 2001..The aim of this study was to assess the HR response to experimental thermal stimulation during different sleep stages...
- Variability in sleep bruxism activity over timeG J Lavigne
Centre d Etude du Sommeil et des Rythmes Biologiques, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Canada
J Sleep Res 10:237-44. 2001..These results indicate that while the SB diagnostic remains relatively constant over time in moderate to severe sleep bruxers, individual variability could be important in some SB patients...
- Neurobiological mechanisms involved in sleep bruxismG J Lavigne
Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, PQ, Canada
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 14:30-46. 2003..The final section of this review proposes that RMMA during sleep has a role in lubricating the upper alimentary tract and increasing airway patency. The review concludes with an outline of questions for future research...
- Effect of an adjustable mandibular advancement appliance on sleep bruxism: a crossover sleep laboratory studyAnaïs Landry-Schönbeck
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 22:251-9. 2009....
- Mandibular advancement appliances remain effective in lowering respiratory disturbance index for 2.5-4.5 yearsLuc Gauthier
Faculté de Médecine Dentaire et Faculté de Médecine, Universite de Montreal, 2900 boul Edouard Montpetit, Montreal, Canada
Sleep Med 12:844-9. 2011..The aim of this follow-up study was to re-assess the long-term efficacy of MAAs provided to patients in a previous comparative study...
- Prevalence and risk factors of sleep bruxism and wake-time tooth clenching in a 7- to 17-yr-old populationMaria Clotilde Carra
Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
Eur J Oral Sci 119:386-94. 2011..Sleep- and wake-time parafunctions are frequently associated with signs and symptoms suggestive of TMDs, and with sleep and behavioral problems. Their clinical assessment during the planning of orthodontic treatment is recommended...
- Sleep bruxism and oromandibular myoclonus in rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder: a preliminary reportSusumu Abe
Center for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Canada Faculté de Médecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, Canada Department of Oral Care and Clinical Education, The Tokushima University Hospital, Japan
Sleep Med 14:1024-30. 2013....
- Clonidine has a paradoxical effect on cyclic arousal and sleep bruxism during NREM sleepMaria Clotilde Carra
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, and Centre d étude du Sommeil et des Rythmes Biologiques, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 33:1711-6. 2010..RMMA/SB is associated with brief and transient sleep arousals. This study investigates the effect of clonidine on the cyclic alternating pattern (CAP) in order to explore the role of cyclic arousal fluctuation in RMMA/SB...
- Sleep bruxism, snoring, and headaches in adolescents: short-term effects of a mandibular advancement applianceMaria Clotilde Carra
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
Sleep Med 14:656-61. 2013..Sleep bruxism (SB) frequently is associated with other sleep disorders and pain concerns. Our study assesses the efficacy of a mandibular advancement appliance (MAA) for SB management in adolescents reporting snoring and headache (HA)...
- Tooth wear in young subjects: a discriminator between sleep bruxers and controls?Susumu Abe
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Université de Montral, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 22:342-50. 2009..This study investigated whether the presence of tooth wear in young adults can help to discriminate patients with sleep bruxism (SB) from control subjects...
- Association between sleep bruxism, swallowing-related laryngeal movement, and sleep positionsShouichi Miyawaki
Facultés de médecine et de médecine dentaire, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 26:461-5. 2003..To describe the relationships of sleep bruxism to swallowing and sleep positions...
- A significant increase in breathing amplitude precedes sleep bruxismSamar Khoury
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, Canada H3C 3J7
Chest 134:332-7. 2008..In the present study, we hypothesize that an increase in respiration also characterizes the onset of SB within the arousal sequence...
- Pain and denture condition in edentulous orodyskinesia: comparisons with tardive dyskinesia and control subjectsPierre J Blanchet
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mov Disord 23:1837-42. 2008..The contribution of the foregoing findings to the expression of oral dyskinesia warrants further studies...
- Weighing the potential effectiveness of various treatments for sleep bruxismNelly Huynh
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Montreal, P O Box 6128 Stn Centre Ville, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 73:727-30. 2007..However, the risk of dependency limits its use over long periods. Assessment of efficacy and safety of the most promising treatments will require studies with larger sample sizes over longer periods...
- Comparison of various treatments for sleep bruxism using determinants of number needed to treat and effect sizeNelly T Huynh
Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Montreal, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 19:435-41. 2006..The aim of this report was to compare SB treatments from various experimental studies to guide the selection of a treatment for a large sample size study...
- Topical review: sleep bruxism and the role of peripheral sensory influencesTakafumi Kato
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Montreal, Sleep and Biological Rhythm Research Center, Hospital du Sacré Coeur of Montréal, Quebec, Canada
J Orofac Pain 17:191-213. 2003..The intent of this review is to integrate various physiologic concepts in order to better understand the mechanisms underlying the genesis of SB...
- Quantitative analysis of surface EMG activity of cranial and leg muscles across sleep stages in humanKazuo Okura
Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Que, Canada H3C 3J7
Clin Neurophysiol 117:269-78. 2006..The aim of this study was to make a quantitative analysis of the changes in cranial and limb muscle activity from wakefulness to light and deep sleep stages and during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep of normal subjects...
- Aggravation of respiratory disturbances by the use of an occlusal splint in apneic patients: a pilot studyYves Gagnon
Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Montreal, Canada
Int J Prosthodont 17:447-53. 2004..This pilot study was designed to test the hypothesis that the use of a single oral splint may aggravate respiratory disturbance in sleep apneic patients...
- Efficacy of two mandibular advancement appliances in the management of snoring and mild-moderate sleep apnea: a cross-over randomized studyLuc Gauthier
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Que, Canada H3P 3J7
Sleep Med 10:329-36. 2009..The aim of this study is to assess the efficacy of and subject satisfaction with two MAA in the management of OSAS...
- Comparison of sleep variables between chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, insomnia, periodic leg movements syndrome and control subjects in a clinical sleep medicine practiceKazuo Okura
Facultés de Médecine Dentaire et de Médecine, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Que, Canada
Sleep Med 9:352-61. 2008....
- Rapid EEG activity during sleep dominates in mild traumatic brain injury patients with acute painSamar Khoury
Centre for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine, Sacré Cœur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec H4J 1C5, Canada
J Neurotrauma 30:633-41. 2013..001). Pain in patients with mTBI was associated with more rapid qEEG activity, mostly during REM sleep, suggesting that pain is associated with poor sleep and is a critical factor in managing post-concussion symptoms...
- The effect of 2 sympatholytic medications--propranolol and clonidine--on sleep bruxism: experimental randomized controlled studiesNelly Huynh
Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 29:307-16. 2006....
- Position paper by Canadian dental sleep medicine professionals on the role of different health care professionals in managing obstructive sleep apnea and snoring with oral appliancesLuc Gauthier
Centre de santé et de services sociaux de Chicoutimi, 304 Rue St Vallier, Chicoutimi, Quebec, Canada
Can Respir J 19:307-9. 2012..Many of the dentists and sleep physicians who contributed to the preparation of the present article are members of the Canadian Sleep Society and the authors reached a consensus based on the current literature...
- Relief expectation and sleepDanièle Laverdure-Dupont
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Rev Neurosci 21:381-95. 2010....
- Estimation of pain intensity in emergency medicine: a validation studyRaoul Daoust
Department of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Research Center, Sacré Coeur Hospital of Montréal, 5400 Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Que H4J1C5, Canada
Pain 138:565-70. 2008..It is probably a valid tool to estimate acute pain in the ED. However, the VNRS is less valid in that context because of its wide limits of agreement and variable bias (mainly in lower scores)...
- Changes in rapid eye movement sleep associated with placebo-induced expectations and analgesiaDanièle Laverdure-Dupont
Department of Physiology, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neurosci 29:11745-52. 2009..However, equivocal previous experience with treatments may significantly alter the relationship between relief expectation, REM sleep, and placebo effects...
- Incorporation of pain in dreams of hospitalized burn victimsIsabelle Raymond
Burn Center Hĵtel Dieu du Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 25:765-70. 2002..More importantly, dreaming about pain may be an added stress for burn patents and may contribute to both poor sleep and higher pain intensity, which could evolve into a cycle of pain-anxiety-sleeplessness...
- Sleep Bruxism-Tooth Grinding Prevalence, Characteristics and Familial Aggregation: A Large Cross-Sectional Survey and Polysomnographic ValidationSamar Khoury
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
Sleep 39:2049-2056. 2016....
- Postoperative sleep disruptions: a potential catalyst of acute pain?Florian Chouchou
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Centre for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Electronic address
Sleep Med Rev 18:273-82. 2014....
- Visual Fixation in the ICU: A Strong Predictor of Long-Term Recovery After Moderate-to-Severe Traumatic Brain InjuryCaroline Arbour
1Hôpital du Sacré Cœur de Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada 2Department of Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada 3Université de Montréal, Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, QC, Canada 4Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada 5Université de Montréal, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Montreal, QC, Canada 6Coma Science Group, GIGA, Cyclotron Research Centre and Neurology Department, University and University Hospital of Liège, Liege, Belgium
Crit Care Med 44:e1186-e1193. 2016..Here, we examined whether return of visual fixation-a potential marker of higher cognitive function-within 24 hours of ICU admission could be used as an early predictor of traumatic brain injury recovery...
- Selective REM Sleep Deprivation Improves Expectation-Related Placebo AnalgesiaFlorian Chouchou
Faculties of Dental Medicine and Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 10:e0144992. 2015..The mechanisms involved in these improvements in placebo analgesia and pain relief following selective REM sleep deprivation should be further investigated. ..
- Diagnostic accuracy of sleep bruxism scoring in absence of audio-video recording: a pilot studyMaria Clotilde Carra
Faculty of Dentistry, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
Sleep Breath 19:183-90. 2015..These criteria have not yet been validated for portable PSG systems. This pilot study aimed to assess the diagnostic accuracy of scoring sleep bruxism in absence of audio-video recordings...
- Are NREM sleep characteristics associated to subjective sleep complaints after mild traumatic brain injury?Caroline Arbour
Center for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine CARSM, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Department of Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep Med 16:534-9. 2015..This study aimed to compare NREM sleep in mTBI and healthy controls, and explore whether NREM sleep characteristics correlate with sleep complaints in these groups...
- The effect of nocturnal wear of dentures on the sleep quality: a systematic review and meta-analysisElham Emami
Faculty of Dentistry, Pavillon Roger Gaudry, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
Sleep Breath . 2016..The effect of nocturnal wear of denture on sleep quality and integrity is still not well understood. Therefore, this systematic review was conducted to provide evidence on this topic...
- Prevalence of spontaneous oral dyskinesia in the elderly: a reappraisalPierre J Blanchet
Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Mov Disord 19:892-6. 2004..Thus, SOD is comparatively infrequent in the elderly. The relation between its distinct orodental health profile and stereotyped manifestations warrants further attention...
- Sleep laboratory diagnosis of restless legs syndromeMartin Michaud
Centre d Etude du Sommeil et des Rythmes Biologiques, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Que, Canada
Eur Neurol 48:108-13. 2002..The combination of these 2 parameters correctly classified 88% of all subjects with a sensitivity of 82% and a specificity of 100%...
- Understanding and managing the interaction between sleep and pain: an update for the dentistMaryse Brousseau
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 69:437-42. 2003..The objective of this paper is to inform and aid the general dentist and the specialist concerned with the sleep quality of patients with orofacial pain...
- Current knowledge on awake and sleep bruxism: overviewTakafumi Kato
Alpha Omegan 96:24-32. 2003