C L Yauk
Affiliation: Health Canada
- A novel single molecule analysis of spontaneous and radiation-induced mutation at a mouse tandem repeat locusCarole L Yauk
Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK
Mutat Res 500:147-56. 2002....
- Tandem repeat mutation, global DNA methylation, and regulation of DNA methyltransferases in cultured mouse embryonic fibroblast cells chronically exposed to chemicals with different modes of actionCarole L Yauk
Environmental Health Sciences and Research Bureau, Safe Environments Programme, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Environ Mol Mutagen 49:26-35. 2008....
- Mainstream tobacco smoke causes paternal germ-line DNA mutationCarole L Yauk
Mutagenesis Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Res 67:5103-6. 2007..Our research suggests that the consequences of smoking extend beyond the smoker to their nonsmoking descendents...
- Analysis of gene expression in two human-derived cell lines exposed in vitro to a 1.9 GHz pulse-modulated radiofrequency fieldVinita Chauhan
Consumer and Clinical Radiation Protection Bureau, Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Proteomics 7:3896-905. 2007..However, exposure of both cell-lines to heat-shock conditions (43 degrees C for 1 h) caused an alteration in the expression of a number of well-characterized heat-shock proteins...
- Germ-line mutations, DNA damage, and global hypermethylation in mice exposed to particulate air pollution in an urban/industrial locationCarole Yauk
Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, HECSB, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0K9
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:605-10. 2008..Changes in methylation can have widespread repercussions for chromatin structure, gene expression and genome stability. Potential health effects warrant extensive further investigation...
- Hepatic mRNA, microRNA, and miR-34a-target responses in mice after 28 days exposure to doses of benzo(a)pyrene that elicit DNA damage and mutationAmal I Malik
Environmental Health Sciences and Research Bureau, Health Canada, 50 Colombine Driveway, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0K9
Environ Mol Mutagen 53:10-21. 2012..In summary, the validated miRNA and mRNA expression profiles following 28 day BaP exposure reflect a DNA damage response and effects on the cell cycle, consistent with the observed increases in DNA adducts and mutations...
- Toxicogenomic analysis of susceptibility to inhaled urban particulate matter in mice with chronic lung inflammationErrol M Thomson
Environment and Occupational Toxicology Division, Environmental Health Science and Research Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa, Canada
Part Fibre Toxicol 6:6. 2009..Characterization of underlying pollutant-phenotype interactions may require comprehensive strategies. Here, a toxicogenomic approach was used to investigate how inflammation modifies the pulmonary response to urban particulate matter...
- Lack of acute phase response in the livers of mice exposed to diesel exhaust particles or carbon black by inhalationAnne T Saber
National Research Centre for the Working Environment, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Part Fibre Toxicol 6:12. 2009..In this study we test the hypothesis that diesel exhaust particles (DEP) - or carbon black (CB)-induced lung inflammation initiates an acute phase response in the liver...
- Induction of the interleukin 6/ signal transducer and activator of transcription pathway in the lungs of mice sub-chronically exposed to mainstream tobacco smokeSabina Halappanavar
Environmental Health Science and Research Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0L2, Canada
BMC Med Genomics 2:56. 2009..In this study, the effects of mainstream tobacco smoke (MTS) on global transcription in the mouse lung were investigated...
- Testing for mean and correlation changes in microarray experiments: an application for pathway analysisMayer Alvo
Environmental Health Science and Research Bureau, Environmental and Radiation Health Sciences Directorate, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Bioinformatics 11:60. 2010..The issue of how to incorporate the influence of correlation among the genes is not generally addressed...
- Novel design and controls for focused DNA microarrays: applications in quality assurance/control and normalization for the Health Canada ToxArrayCarole L Yauk
Mutagenesis Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Safe Environments Program, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0L2, Canada
BMC Genomics 7:266. 2006..Furthermore, many microarrays lack control features that can be used for quality assurance (QA). Here, we describe a novel external control series integrated with a design feature that addresses the above issues...
- Lack of change in microRNA expression in adult mouse liver following treatment with benzo(a)pyrene despite robust mRNA transcriptional responseCarole Lyn Yauk
Environmental Health Sciences and Research Bureau, Health Canada, ON, Canada
Mutat Res 722:131-9. 2011..Our results are consistent with the lack of response of miRNA in rodent liver to dioxin, another potent AHR-agonist. We conclude that hepatic miRNA in vivo is not directly responsive to BaP exposure...
- Cross-platform analysis of global microRNA expression technologiesCarole L Yauk
Environmental Health Sciences and Research Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada
BMC Genomics 11:330. 2010..We examined within and between platform reproducibility of four miRNA array technologies alongside TaqMan PCR arrays...
- Automation of cDNA microarray hybridization and washing yields improved data qualityCarole Yauk
Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Biochem Biophys Methods 64:69-75. 2005..This decreased variation led to improved correlation among technical replicates across slides in both the Cy3 and Cy5 channels...
- Comprehensive comparison of six microarray technologiesCarole L Yauk
Mutagenesis Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division and Biostatistics and Epidemiology Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nucleic Acids Res 32:e124. 2004..Most importantly, we show the top four platforms are highly correlated with biological, rather than technological, differences accounting for the majority of variation in the data...
- Advances in the application of germline tandem repeat instability for in situ monitoringCarole L Yauk
Environmental Health Centre, Health Canada, Tunney s Pasture, 0803A, Ottawa, Ont, Canada, K1A 0L2
Mutat Res 566:169-82. 2004....
- High-resolution sperm typing of meiotic recombination in the mouse MHC Ebeta geneC L Yauk
Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
EMBO J 22:1389-97. 2003..The detailed behaviour of the E(beta) hotspot, including evidence for highly localized recombination initiation, is strikingly similar to human hotspots...
- Comparative transcriptomic analyses to scrutinize the assumption that genotoxic PAHs exert effects via a common mode of actionS Labib
Environmental Health Science and Research Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0K9, Canada
Arch Toxicol 90:2461-80. 2016....
- Microarray gene expression profiling of a human glioblastoma cell line exposed in vitro to a 1.9 GHz pulse-modulated radiofrequency fieldS S Qutob
Consumer and Clinical Radiation Protection Bureau, Healthy Environment and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 1C1
Radiat Res 165:636-44. 2006..Future studies will assess the effect of RF fields on other cell lines and on gene expression in the mouse brain after in vivo exposure...
- Hepatic gene expression changes in hypothyroid juvenile mice: characterization of a novel negative thyroid-responsive elementHongyan Dong
Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, 50 Columbine Driveway, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0L2
Endocrinology 148:3932-40. 2007....
- Instability of expanded simple tandem repeats is induced in cell culture by a variety of agents: N-Nitroso-N-ethylurea, benzo(a)pyrene, etoposide and okadaic acidAris Polyzos
Environmental Health Centre, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Health Canada, Tunney s Pasture, P L 0803A, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1A 0L2
Mutat Res 598:73-84. 2006..In contrast, a potent tumour promoter that is a kinase inhibitor does not contribute to induced ESTR instability in cell culture...
- Air pollution induces heritable DNA mutationsChristopher M Somers
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15904-7. 2002..Our results indicate that human and wildlife populations in proximity to integrated steel mills may be at risk of developing germline mutations more frequently because of the inhalation of airborne chemical mutagens...
- Review of the literature examining the correlation among DNA microarray technologiesCarole L Yauk
Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Safe Environments Programme, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0K9
Environ Mol Mutagen 48:380-94. 2007..We suggest several key factors that should be controlled in comparing across technologies, and are good microarray practice in general...
- Detection of induced male germline mutation: correlations and comparisons between traditional germline mutation assays, transgenic rodent assays and expanded simple tandem repeat instability assaysTimothy M Singer
Mutagenesis Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Safe Environments Programme, 0803A, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1A 0K9
Mutat Res 598:164-93. 2006....
- A lacZ transgenic mouse assay for the detection of mutations in follicular granulosa cellsCarole L Yauk
Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1A 0L2
Mutat Res 578:117-23. 2005..The results indicate that transgene mutations in granulosa cells may provide a sensitive pre-screening tool for potential genotoxic germ cell effects of exposed oocytes...