Affiliation: Health Canada
- The effects of vitamin E and selenium intake on oxidative stress and plasma lipids in hamsters fed fish oilJohanne Poirier
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Macdonald Campus of McGill University, Quebec, H9X 3V9, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Canada
Lipids 37:1125-33. 2002..In view of the pro-oxidative effects of Se supplementation on cardiac tissue, a cautionary approach needs to be taken regarding the plasma lipid-lowering properties of supplemental Se...
- Sparing effects of selenium and ascorbic acid on vitamin C and E in guinea pig tissuesJesse Bertinato
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Sir Frederick G, Banting Research Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Nutr J 6:7. 2007..Selenium (Se), vitamin C and vitamin E function as antioxidants within the body. In this study, we investigated the effects of reduced dietary Se and L-ascorbic acid (AA) on vitamin C and alpha-tocopherol (AT) status in guinea pig tissues...
- Effect of chronic ethanol dosing on hepatic triglyceride and phospholipid profile and fatty acids in the guinea pigN Hidiroglou
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Canada, Banting Research Center, Ottawa, Ontario
Alcohol 19:229-33. 1999..This study provides important baseline lipid data on guinea pig responses to ethanol and provides a starting point for the use of the guinea pig as an experimental model...
- Influence of sources of dietary vitamin E on the maternal transfer of alpha-tocopherol to fetal and neonatal guinea pigs as determined by a stable isotopic techniqueN Hidiroglou
Nutrition Research Division, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Banting Research Center PL 2203C, Tunneys Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Br J Nutr 89:455-66. 2003..Vitamin E was highest in colostrum on day 2 then declined through to day 5. Results from this present experiment further question the accepted biological potencies of natural:synthetic alpha-tocopheryl acetate of 1.36:1.00...
- The influence of dietary vitamin E, fat, and methionine on blood cholesterol profile, homocysteine levels, and oxidizability of low density lipoprotein in the gerbilNick Hidiroglou
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Banting Research Centre, Tunneys Pasture, Ottawa, ON, Canada KIAOL2
J Nutr Biochem 15:730-40. 2004....
- Estrogen administration, postexercise tissue oxidative stress and vitamin C status in male ratsP M Tiidus
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:952-60. 1998....
- Limited effects of combined dietary copper deficiency/iron overload on oxidative stress parameters in rat liver and plasmaKevin A Cockell
Nutrition Research Division, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0L2
J Nutr Biochem 16:750-6. 2005..The various substrates (lipid, protein and cholesterol) appeared to differ in their susceptibility to the in vivo oxidative stress induced by dietary Fe overload, but these differences were not exacerbated by Cu deficiency...
- Influence of sources of dietary oils on the life span of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsW M Ratnayake
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Protection Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
Lipids 35:409-20. 2000....
- Dose-dependent effects of dietary alpha- and gamma-tocopherols on genetic instability in mouse Mutatect tumorsCatherine C Y Soo
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre and the Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:796-800. 2004..gamma-Tocopherol had no detectable effect on any of the three endpoints. Thus, dietary alpha-tocopherol decreases two forms of genetic instability in a dose-dependent manner in this experimental tumor model...