P F Hoekstra
Affiliation: Environment Canada
- Hydroxylated and methylsulfone-containing metabolites of polychlorinated biphenyls in the plasma and blubber of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus)Paul F Hoekstra
University of Guelph, Department of Environmental Biology, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:2650-8. 2003..Further research is required to elucidate the toxicokinetics and distribution of OH-PCBs in this cetacean...
- Profile of persistent chlorinated contaminants, including selected chiral compounds, in wolverine (Gulo gulo) livers from the Canadian ArcticP F Hoekstra
National Water Research Institute, Environment Canada, ON L7R4A6, Burlington, Canada
Chemosphere 53:551-60. 2003..While summation operator PCB did not exceed the concentrations associated with mammalian reproductive impairment, future research is required to properly evaluate the potential affect of other OCs on the overall health of wolverines...
- Concentrations of selected essential and non-essential elements in arctic fox (Alopex lagopus) and wolverines (Gulo gulo) from the Canadian ArcticP F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Sci Total Environ 309:81-92. 2003....
- Trophic transfer of persistent organochlorine contaminants (OCs) within an Arctic marine food web from the southern Beaufort-Chukchi SeasP F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
Environ Pollut 124:509-22. 2003....
- Organochlorine contaminant and stable isotope profiles in Arctic fox (Alopex lagopus) from the Alaskan and Canadian ArcticP F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G2W1
Environ Pollut 122:423-33. 2003..Further research is required to properly elucidate the potential health impacts to this species from exposure to OCs...
- Enantiomer-specific accumulation of PCB atropisomers in the bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus)Paul F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 36:1419-25. 2002..Results suggest that enantioselective accumulation of PCB-91, 95, and 149 is influenced by PCB concentrations, age, and/or the modification of an uncharacterized stereoselective process (or processes) during sexual maturity...
- Bioaccumulation of organochlorine contaminants in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) from Barrow, AlaskaP F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, ON, Canada
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 42:497-507. 2002..Principal component analysis of contaminants levels in bowhead blubber samples suggest that proportions of OCs, such as beta-HCH, fluctuate with seasonal migration of this species between the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas...
- Enantiomer-specific biomagnification of alpha-hexachlorocyclohexane and selected chiral chlordane-related compounds within an Arctic marine food webPaul F Hoekstra
University of Guelph, Department of Environmental Biology, Environment Canada, National Water Research Institute, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:2482-91. 2003..However, the modification of EFs from bowhead liver to blubber suggests that this species has the ability to enantioselectively biotransform and accumulate several chiral OC compounds...
- Concentrations of persistent organochlorine contaminants in bowhead whale tissues and other biota from northern Alaska: implications for human exposure from a subsistence dietP F Hoekstra
National Water Research Institute, Environment Canada, Burlington, Ont, Canada L7R4A6
Environ Res 98:329-40. 2005..Overall, bowhead whale tissues and other biota from northern Alaska are safe to consume at, or below, the levels calculated...
- Persistent organic pollutants and mercury in marine biota of the Canadian Arctic: an overview of spatial and temporal trendsB M Braune
National Wildlife Research Centre, Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada, Carleton University Raven Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0H3
Sci Total Environ 351:4-56. 2005..Continuing temporal monitoring of POPs and Hg in a variety of marine biota must be a priority...
- Enantiomer-specific activity of o,p'-DDT with the human estrogen receptorP F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1, Guelph, Canada
Toxicol Lett 125:75-81. 2001..This data demonstrates the need to consider stereochemistry of environmental contaminants and their potential influence on biological responses...
- BiomagnificationAaron T Fisk
Mar Pollut Bull 46:522-4; author reply 525-6. 2003
- Concentrations of selected persistent organochlorine contaminants in store-bought foods from northern AlaskaTodd M O'Hara
Department of Wildlife Management, North Slope Borough, Barrow, Alaska, USA
Int J Circumpolar Health 64:303-13. 2005..e., store-bought foods)...
- Spatial trends and bioaccumulation of organochlorine pollutants in marine zooplankton from the Alaskan and Canadian ArcticPaul F Hoekstra
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 21:575-83. 2002....
- Spatial and temporal trends of contaminants in terrestrial biota from the Canadian ArcticMary Gamberg
Gamberg Consulting, Box 10460, Whitehorse, Canada, YT, Y1A 7A1
Sci Total Environ 351:148-64. 2005....
- Development and application of bioaccumulation models to assess persistent organic pollutant temporal trends in arctic ringed seal (Phoca hispida) populationsBrendan E Hickie
Environmental and Resource Studies, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Canada K9J 7B8
Sci Total Environ 351:413-26. 2005....
- Bioaccumulation factors for PCBs revisitedKatrine Borgå
Norwegian Polar Institute, N 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Environ Sci Technol 39:4523-32. 2005....
- Enantiomer fractions of chiral organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls in standard and certified reference materialsCharles S Wong
Department of Chemistry University of Toronto, 80 St George Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 3H6
Chemosphere 49:1339-47. 2002..These values should aid in the quality assurance/quality control methodologies for chiral environmental chemistry using standardized reference materials...
- Organohalogen contaminants in delphinoid cetaceansMagali Houde
University of Guelph, Department of Environmental Biology, Guelph, Ontario NIG 2WI, Canada
Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 184:1-57. 2005..Nonetheless, PHCs are also found in marine mammal tissues from the Southern Hemisphere and in remote regions such as the Arctic, reflecting the global distribution and contamination of PHCs in the marine ecosystem...
- Toxicokinetics of three polychlorinated biphenyl technical mixtures in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)Andrea H Buckman
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1 Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 23:1725-36. 2004..Because t1/2s in this experiment were slower than t1/2s reported in other work, water temperature also may be an important factor in determining the t1/2s of all PCB congeners in fish...
- Identification of long-chain perfluorinated acids in biota from the Canadian ArcticJonathan W Martin
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, 80 St George Street, Lash Miller Building, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H6, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 38:373-80. 2004..Future studies should continue to monitor all fluorinated contaminants and examine the absolute and relative toxicities for this novel suite of PFCAs...
- Estrogenic activity of dicofol with the human estrogen receptor: Isomer- and enantiomer-specific implicationsPaul F Hoekstra
National Water Research Institute, Environment Canada, Burlington, ON, Canada
Chemosphere 64:174-7. 2006....