Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Division of Anatomical Pathology
- Relationships among msx gene structure and function in zebrafish and other vertebratesM Ekker
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Mol Biol Evol 14:1008-22. 1997..Distinct duplication events may have given rise to the msx genes of modern fish and other vertebrate lineages whereas many aspects of msx gene functions during embryonic development have been preserved...
- Saving zebrafish mutantsM Ekker
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Loeb Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, ON, Canada
Bioessays 21:94-8. 1999..Combined with other ongoing efforts to characterize the zebrafish genome, this approach of mutant rescue opens interesting avenues for a systematic functional analysis of vertebrate genes...
- Differential expression of orthologous Dlx genes in zebrafish and mice: implications for the evolution of the Dlx homeobox gene familyE Quint
Loeb Health Research Institute at the Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
J Exp Zool 288:235-41. 2000..This suggests that early expression of Dlx genes existed prior to the duplications that led to the multiple pairs of physically linked genes but was differentially conserved in different paralogs in zebrafish and mice...
- Specific craniofacial cartilage dysmorphogenesis coincides with a loss of dlx gene expression in retinoic acid-treated zebrafish embryosD L Ellies
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Mech Dev 61:23-36. 1997....
- A role for DNA methylation in gastrulation and somite patterningC C Martin
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Loeb Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, 725 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 4E9, Canada
Dev Biol 206:189-205. 1999..When examined during gastrulation, 5-azaC-treated embryos have a shortened and thickened axial mesoderm. We propose that DNA methylation is required for normal gastrulation and subsequent patterning of the dorsal mesoderm...
- Differential induction of four msx homeobox genes during fin development and regeneration in zebrafishM A Akimenko
Loeb Institute for Medical Research, Ottawa Civic Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Development 121:347-57. 1995..Our results suggest distinct roles for each of the four msx genes during fin development and regeneration and differential regulation of their expression...
- Involvement of the sonic hedgehog, patched 1 and bmp2 genes in patterning of the zebrafish dermal fin raysL Laforest
Loeb Institute for Medical Research, Ottawa Civic Hospital, and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 4E9, Canada
Development 125:4175-84. 1998..These observations suggest a role for shh, ptc1 and bmp2 in patterning of the dermoskeleton of developing and regenerating teleost fins...
- A highly conserved enhancer in the Dlx5/Dlx6 intergenic region is the site of cross-regulatory interactions between Dlx genes in the embryonic forebrainT Zerucha
Loeb Health Research Institute at the Ottawa Hospital and Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4E9, Canada
J Neurosci 20:709-21. 2000..This hypothesis is supported by cotransfection and DNA-protein binding experiments. We propose that the Dlx genes are part of a highly conserved developmental pathway that regulates forebrain development...
- Teleost FTZ-F1 homolog and its splicing variant determine the expression of the salmon gonadotropin IIbeta subunit geneD Liu
Hospital for Sick Children, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 11:877-90. 1997....
- Nitrogen excretion in developing zebrafish (Danio rerio): a role for Rh proteins and urea transportersM H Braun
Department of Biology and Center for Advanced Research in Environmental Genetics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F994-F1005. 2009..However, this may be a developmental feature of the delayed maturation of the gills, because as the embryos matured, expression of the transporters in and around the gills increased...
- Anterior duplication of the Sonic hedgehog expression pattern in the pectoral fin buds of zebrafish treated with retinoic acidM A Akimenko
Loeb Institute for Medical Research, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dev Biol 170:243-7. 1995..These results suggest that the control of ZPA function during the initial stages of development of paired appendages has been conserved between fish and tetrapods...
- Stable transfer of zebrafish chromosome segments into mouse cellsM Ekker
Loeb Institute for Medical Research, Ottawa Civic Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 4E9, Canada
Genomics 33:57-64. 1996..Zebrafish/mouse cell hybrids will provide a useful tool for the physical mapping of the zebrafish genome and for the cloning of genes affected in zebrafish mutants...
- Differential actinodin1 regulation in zebrafish and mouse appendagesR L Lalonde
Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, University of Ottawa, 20 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Dev Biol 417:91-103. 2016..Altogether these results hint for a change in regulation of and1 during evolution that led to the downregulation and eventual loss of this gene from tetrapod genomes. ..
- Evidence that GRIP, a PDZ-domain protein which is expressed in the embryonic forebrain, co-activates transcription with DLX homeodomain proteinsG Yu
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Center for Neurobiology and Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, 401 Parnassus Avenue, University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 130:217-30. 2001..Furthermore, these results suggest a link between glutamate receptors, PDZ proteins and the DLX transcription factors, all of which are co-expressed in the developing basal ganglia...
- fgfr3 and regionalization of anterior neural tube in zebrafishI Sleptsova-Friedrich
Institute of Molecular Agrobiology, 1 Research Link, National University of Singapore, 117604, Singapore, Singapore
Mech Dev 102:213-7. 2001..1 and FGF8 activity, the expression domains of FGFR3 expand into the MHB, tegmentum, cerebellum and optic tectum, which are the affected structures in these mutants...
- The evolution of the vertebrate Dlx gene familyD W Stock
Department of Anthropology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:10858-63. 1996..Determination of the linkage relationship of these additional zebrafish Dlx genes to Hox clusters should help resolve this issue...
- Zebrafish hox genes: genomic organization and modified colinear expression patterns in the trunkV E Prince
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, NJ 08544, USA
Development 125:407-20. 1998..In the teleost zebrafish, axial organization is relatively simple in comparison to that of the tetrapod vertebrates; this may be reflected by the less dispersed expression domains of the zebrafish hox genes...
- The role of tolloid/mini fin in dorsoventral pattern formation of the zebrafish embryoS A Connors
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 421 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 126:3119-30. 1999..This extracellular mechanism is amplified by an autoregulatory loop for bmp gene expression...
- Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genesV H Nguyen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Dev Biol 199:93-110. 1998..Based on the alterations in tissue-specific gene expression, we propose a model whereby swirl/bmp2b acts as a morphogen to specify different cell types along the dorsoventral axis...
- Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolutionA Amores
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Science 282:1711-4. 1998..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis...
- Radiation hybrid mapping of the zebrafish genomeN A Hukriede
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Unit on Biological Computation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:9745-50. 1999..Mapping expressed sequence tags and cloned genes by using the LN54 panel should prove to be a valuable method for the identification of candidate genes for specific mutations in zebrafish...
- Expression and regulation of mouse Mtsh1 during limb and branchial arch developmentQ Long
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital, 725 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4E9
Dev Dyn 222:308-12. 2001..Together, these results suggest that mouse Mtsh1 gene may be involved in the outgrowth of limbs and arches and may be functioning downstream of BMP and FGF signaling pathways...
- The LN54 radiation hybrid map of zebrafish expressed sequencesN Hukriede
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Unit of Biological Computation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genome Res 11:2127-32. 2001..The increased concentration of expressed sequences on the LN54 map of the zebrafish genome will facilitate the molecular characterization of mutations in this species...