Affiliation: Defence Research and Development Canada
- alpha-Amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid subtype glutamate receptor (AMPAR) endocytosis is essential for N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced neuronal apoptosisYushan Wang
Brain Research Centre and Department of Medicine, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 2B5, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:41267-70. 2004....
- Effect of acute soman exposure on GABA(A) receptors in rat hippocampal slices and cultured hippocampal neuronsYushan Wang
Defence R and D Canada Suffield, Station Main, Medicine Hat, P O Box 4000, Alberta T1A8K6, Canada
Neurotox Res 20:343-50. 2011..Regardless of the exact mechanism, the observation that soman induces rapid GABA(A)R endocytosis may have significant implications in the development of effective countermeasures against soman-induced seizures...
- Role of the sodium hydrogen exchanger in maitotoxin-induced cell death in cultured rat cortical neuronsYushan Wang
Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1A 8K6, Canada
Toxicon 54:95-102. 2009..Furthermore, knockdown of NHE1 by SiRNA transfection suppressed MTX-induced cell death in human embryonic kidney (HEK) cells. Together, these results suggest that NHE1 plays a major role in MTX-induced neurotoxicity...
- Protective effects of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonism on VX-induced neuronal cell death in cultured rat cortical neuronsYushan Wang
Canada West Bioscience Inc, Camrose, Alberta, Canada
Neurotox Res 13:163-72. 2008..Based on their therapeutic effects, NMDAR antagonists may be beneficial in the treatment of VX-induced neurotoxicities...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 contributes to VX-induced cell death in cultured cortical neuronsCatherine C Tenn
DRDC Suffield, Station Main, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Toxicol Lett 210:71-7. 2012..These findings indicate that the increase in COX-2 activity may contribute to the mechanism of VX-induced neurotoxicity in cultured rat cortical neuron...
- Attenuation of maitotoxin-induced cytotoxicity in rat aortic smooth muscle cells by inhibitors of Na+/Ca2+ exchange, and calpain activationRobert Frew
Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Toxicon 51:1400-8. 2008..These results suggest that MTX targets the Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchanger and causes it to operate in reverse mode (Na(+) efflux/Ca(2+) influx), thus leading to calpain activation, NCX cleavage, secondary Ca(2+) overload and cell death...
- High-Fidelity Simulation of Primary Blast: Direct Effects on the HeadThomas W Sawyer
1 Defence Research and Development Canada, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
J Neurotrauma 33:1181-93. 2016....
- VX-induced cell death involves activation of caspase-3 in cultured rat cortical neuronsCatherine C Tenn
Medical Therapy Group, DRDC Suffield, P O Box 4000, Station Main, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1A 8K6, Canada
Neurosci Lett 417:155-9. 2007..These data suggested that in rat cortical neurons, VX-induced cell death via a programmed cell death pathway that involves changes in caspase-3 protease...
- The Effect of Underwater Blast on Aggregating Brain Cell CulturesThomas W Sawyer
1 Defence Research and Development Canada, Suffield Research Center, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
J Neurotrauma . 2016..This study has mechanistic implications for the study of primary blast-induced traumatic brain injury and supports the thesis that underwater blast may cause subtle changes in the brains of submerged individuals...
- NMDA receptor function and NMDA receptor-dependent phosphorylation of huntingtin is altered by the endocytic protein HIP1Martina Metzler
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Child and Family Research Institute, Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 4H4
J Neurosci 27:2298-308. 2007..These findings may provide novel insights into the cellular mechanisms underlying enhanced NMDA-induced excitotoxicity in Huntington's disease...
- Role of NMDA receptor subtypes in governing the direction of hippocampal synaptic plasticityLidong Liu
Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada
Science 304:1021-4. 2004..These results demonstrate that distinct NMDAR subunits are critical factors that determine the polarity of synaptic plasticity...
- Tyrosine phosphorylation of GluR2 is required for insulin-stimulated AMPA receptor endocytosis and LTDGholamreza Ahmadian
National Research Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Tehran, Iran
EMBO J 23:1040-50. 2004....
- Control of synaptic strength, a novel function of AktQinghua Wang
Programme in Brain and Behaviour Research, Research Institute of the Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, M5G 1X8, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neuron 38:915-28. 2003..This work also provides evidence for the rapid regulation of neurotransmitter receptor numbers in the postsynaptic domain by direct receptor phosphorylation as an important means of producing synaptic plasticity...
- Dual regulation of NMDA receptor functions by direct protein-protein interactions with the dopamine D1 receptorFrank J S Lee
Department of Neuroscience, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Clarke Division, University of Toronto, Toronto, M5T 1R8, Ontario, Canada
Cell 111:219-30. 2002..While one interaction is involved in the inhibition of NMDA receptor-gated currents, the other is implicated in the attenuation of NMDA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity through a PI-3 kinase-dependent pathway...