Kathryn N Suh
Affiliation: Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Challenging scenarios in a travel clinic: advising the complex travelerKathryn N Suh
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa ON K1H 8L1, Canada
Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:15-47. 2005..The few instances when it is prudent to alter travel plans or postpone travel altogether are not to be taken lightly. For the most part, however, most complex travelers can enjoy a healthy and rewarding travel experience...
- Antibiotics for Travelers: What's Good and What's NotKathryn N Suh
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1, Canada
Curr Infect Dis Rep 6:13-21. 2004..The role of antibiotics in selected high-risk travelers also is discussed...
- MalariaKathryn N Suh
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L1, Canada
CMAJ 170:1693-702. 2004..Additional approaches to malaria control, including genetic manipulation of mosquitoes and malaria vaccines, are areas of ongoing research...
- Understanding practice: factors that influence physician hand hygiene complianceJanet E Squires
School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 35:1511-20. 2014..To identify the behavioral determinants--both barriers and enablers--that may impact physician hand hygiene compliance...
- Use of personal protective equipment in Canadian pediatric emergency departmentsSarah M Reid
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, and Clinical Research Unit of Ottawa, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, ON
CJEM 13:71-8. 2011..This study examined the knowledge, self-reported behaviours, and barriers to compliance with infection control practices and the use of PPE in Canadian pediatric EDs...
- Tropheryma whipplei aortic valve endocarditis without systemic Whipple's diseaseVincent Chan
Division of Cardiac Surgery, The University of Ottawa Heart Institute, University of Ottawa, 40 Ruskin Street, Suite H3402, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y4W7, Canada
Int J Infect Dis 15:e804-6. 2011..whipplei, suggesting that a prolonged antibiotic course is necessary for the treatment of Whipple's endocarditis...
- Evaluating and operationalizing an environmental auditing program: a pilot studyLaura Gordon
The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Infect Control 42:702-7. 2014....
- Patient-level factors associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage at hospital admission: a systematic reviewAlan J Forster
Performance Measurement, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Am J Infect Control 41:214-20. 2013..To characterize high-risk populations, we conducted this systematic review to identify patient-level factors associated with MRSA carriage at hospital admission...
- Improving physician hand hygiene compliance using behavioural theories: a study protocolJanet E Squires
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Implement Sci 8:16. 2013..We aim to first identify the barriers and enablers to physician hand hygiene compliance, and then to develop and pilot a theory-based knowledge translation intervention to increase physicians' compliance with best hand hygiene practice...
- Atovaquone-proguanil resistance in imported falciparum malaria in a young childGregory W Rose
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:567-9. 2008..We review the literature concerning atovaquone-proguanil resistance, and emphasize the importance of follow-up and consideration of resistance where patients have relapsed symptoms...
- The feasibility of e-learning as a quality improvement toolDaniel Kobewka
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 20:606-10. 2014..Many quality problems exist in health care. We aim to investigate the feasibility and acceptability of using e-learning (defined as computer-based learning modules) to address gaps in quality of care...
- Predicting influenza vaccination uptake among health care workers: what are the key motivators?Kimberly Corace
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Infect Control 41:679-84. 2013..However, vaccine uptake rates fell below recommended targets. This study examined motivators and barriers influencing HCW pH1N1 vaccination to identify modifiable factors that can improve influenza vaccine uptake...
- A decrease in the number of cases of necrotizing enterocolitis associated with the enhancement of infection prevention and control measures during a Staphylococcus aureus outbreak in a neonatal intensive care unitBrigitte Lemyre
The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 33:29-33. 2012..We aimed to assess whether the enhancement of infection prevention and control measures would be associated with a reduction in the number of cases of NEC...
- Cardiac complications in patients with community-acquired pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studiesVicente F Corrales-Medina
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PLoS Med 8:e1001048. 2011..CAP can trigger acute cardiac events. We sought to determine the incidence of major cardiac complications in CAP patients to characterize the magnitude of this problem...
- Mycobacterium bovis abdominal aortic and femoral artery aneurysms following intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for bladder cancerCecilia T Costiniuk
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Cardiovasc Pathol 19:e29-32. 2010..Infectious complications of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) therapy are rare, but these have included a handful of cases of mycotic aneurysm...
- Transvaginal oocyte retrieval for in vitro fertilization complicated by ovarian abscess during pregnancyKimberley Sharpe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Fertil Steril 86:219.e11-3. 2006..To describe an ovarian abscess presenting very late after oocyte retrieval for IVF with several unusual clinical features...