Beth A Sproule
Affiliation: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Effectiveness of brief interventions as part of the screening, brief intervention and referral to treatment (SBIRT) model for reducing the non-medical use of psychoactive substances: a systematic review protocolMatthew M Young
Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse CCSA, 75 Albert Street, Ottawa, ON, K1P 5E7, Canada
Syst Rev 1:22. 2012....
- Lithium in bipolar disorder: can drug concentrations predict therapeutic effect?Beth Sproule
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, and Faculty of Pharmacy and Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Pharmacokinet 41:639-60. 2002....
- Desvenlafaxine succinate for major depressive disorderBeth A Sproule
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, Canada
Drugs Today (Barc) 44:475-87. 2008..The only identified potential advantage of desvenlafaxine over venlafaxine or other antidepressant agents at this time is the apparently reduced risk for pharmacokinetic drug interactions...
- Are antipsychotic prescribing patterns different in older and younger adults?: a survey of 1357 psychiatric inpatients in TorontoBeth A Sproule
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 55:248-54. 2010..To compare antipsychotic prescribing patterns in younger (aged 59 years or younger) and older (aged 60 years or older) patients with psychotic or mood disorders...
- Changing patterns in opioid addiction: characterizing users of oxycodone and other opioidsBeth Sproule
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON
Can Fam Physician 55:68-9, 69.e1-5. 2009....
- Fuzzy pharmacology: theory and applicationsBeth A Sproule
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Ontario, M5S 2S1, Toronto, Canada
Trends Pharmacol Sci 23:412-7. 2002..Fuzzy pharmacology is an emerging field that, based on these initial explorations, warrants further investigation...
- Effects of 2-week treatment with temazepam and diphenhydramine in elderly insomniacs: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialJennifer R Glass
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:182-8. 2008..The choice of agent to use in the elderly must consider these relative benefits and risks...
- Methadone-nicotine interactions in methadone maintenance treatment patientsAlexander K Elkader
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:231-8. 2009..The overall results may help to explain high smoking rates in the MMT population and may account for reports of increased positive effects of methadone when the drugs are taken together...
- Exploring the relationship between perceived inter-dose opioid withdrawal and patient characteristics in methadone maintenance treatmentAlex K Elkader
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell St, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 2S1
Drug Alcohol Depend 105:209-14. 2009..Little is known about the relationship between perceived inter-dose opioid withdrawal and patient characteristics in methadone maintenance treatment...
- Toward the development of a Mood Disorders Insight Scale: modification of Birchwood's Psychosis Insight ScaleEdward D Sturman
Psychopharmacology Research Program, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Affect Disord 77:21-30. 2003..Our objectives were to develop a reliable and valid self-report scale for use in outpatients or inpatients with mood disorders. Toward this end we made extensive revisions of the Birchwood et al. Insight Scale for Psychosis...
- Acute pharmacological effects of temazepam, diphenhydramine, and valerian in healthy elderly subjectsJennifer R Glass
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S1
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:260-8. 2003..001) but similar to that with 15 mg temazepam (NS). No psychomotor impairment was detected with 50 mg diphenhydramine. Valerian was not different from placebo on any measure of psychomotor performance or sedation...
- Prescription opioid abuse in patients presenting for methadone maintenance treatmentBruna Brands
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, 33 Russell St, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 2S1
Drug Alcohol Depend 73:199-207. 2004..Further research is required to better elucidate the complex relationships between pain, mental health and addiction in order to develop optimal prevention and treatment strategies for prescription opioid dependence...
- The impact of benzodiazepine use on methadone maintenance treatment outcomesBruna Brands
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Canada
J Addict Dis 27:37-48. 2008..Only ongoing cocaine use was negatively related to retention. Benzodiazepine use by methadone maintenance treatment patients is associated with a more complex clinical picture and may negatively influence treatment outcomes...
- Dose-related pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of valproate in the elderlySusy Felix
Psychopharmacology Research Program, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:471-8. 2003..Drug-induced CNS effects and nausea severity scores correlated with total and unbound serum valproate concentrations. Significant dose-dependent changes in valproate pharmacokinetics were observed in the elderly...
- Impact of self-reported lifetime depression or anxiety on effectiveness of mass distribution of nicotine patchesVladyslav Kushnir
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tob Control . 2016..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of lifetime history of depression or anxiety on smoking cessation success following the free distribution of nicotine patches...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of the inhibition of alprazolam by citalopram and fluoxetineJudith Hall
Psychopharmacology Research Program, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:349-57. 2003..Neither selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor significantly affected the pharmacodynamic profile of alprazolam. This experiment suggests differential effects by citalopram and fluoxetine on alprazolam kinetics...
- Sedative hypnotics in older people with insomnia: meta-analysis of risks and benefitsJennifer Glass
University of Toronto, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 2S2
BMJ 331:1169. 2005..To quantify and compare potential benefits (subjective reports of sleep variables) and risks (adverse events and morning-after psychomotor impairment) of short term treatment with sedative hypnotics in older people with insomnia...
- Community pharmacists' attitudes toward and professional interactions with users of psychiatric medicationVinay Phokeo
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatr Serv 55:1434-6. 2004..Adequate training in mental health may be key in improving the professional interactions of community pharmacists toward patients who use psychiatric medication...
- Buprenorphine: clinical pharmacokinetics in the treatment of opioid dependenceAlexander Elkader
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Pharmacokinet 44:661-80. 2005..The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of buprenorphine allow it to be a feasible option for substitution therapy in the treatment of opioid dependence...